I'm so happy! Gotta share!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

I'm so happy! Gotta share!

Post by Redwolf »

This is about as off topic as it can get, but I've got to share:

As many of you know, I've been worried sick about Johanna's schooling. She just graduated from elementary school, and our regular public secondary schools hereabouts are truly terrible. In February we participated in a lottery for a accelerated charter school in Santa Cruz (which just about everyone who knows her agrees would be perfect for Johanna), but ended up on the waiting list. Although she had a high number on the wait list, we were told it might be as late as September or October before we would know for sure if she got in.

I just got the call a few minutes ago. She's in! She goes for her math and English assessment tests tomorrow morning (these tests are simply to determine which group she'll be in for these core classes...since she's already working at middle school level for math and algebra and college level for English, I have no worries).

If you're curious, here's a look at her new school. You can see why we've been so eager to get her a placement there:

http://www.pacificcollegiate.com/

We're all just over the moon!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
markbell

Post by markbell »

Audrey,

That's wonderful news!

Blessings,

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Congratulations. That's wonderful news. Three or four breaks like this at the right times and it can set up your life.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Celebrate -- Celebrate Dance to the music!

That is great news. Congratulations to your daughter and you!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm happy that windows opened for you!
I'll be facilitating the parallel processes next Fall, of daughter #2 doing the college app. thing, and selecting a High School for the boy. His current school runs through 8th grade (that's next year,) and since his learning style is completely outside the public school box, we'll be evaluating several potential alternative schools.
I'm hoping things will click, and the ultimate commute will not be horrendous.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Yay! Congratz. :)
missy

Post by missy »

since we are now on school number 3 for Noah - I can certainly understand your fears and pain - and celebrate and congratulate you that you got the best fit!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Great news, congratulations!

Robin
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That is just WONDERFUL!

It's great to hear some good news.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Huzzah! I'm so happy for your daughter, Red! My son starts at a magnet school (emphasis on math and technology) in the fall-- this was such a blessing for him, as well.

I hope your girl has a fabulous year!!!
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

aderyn_du wrote:Huzzah! I'm so happy for your daughter, Red! My son starts at a magnet school (emphasis on math and technology) in the fall-- this was such a blessing for him, as well.

I hope your girl has a fabulous year!!!
Magnets are great. Jo went to a "pre-International Baccalaureat" magnet school when we lived in NC (emphasis on research and foreign language).

It was like pulling teeth getting this charter school going here, and people still complain that it's "elitist" (even though anyone can go there...in fact, it's so popular, they have a lottery to determine admissions).

Redwolf
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

Congratulations.

You are giving the best gift possible to your child. A solid education, which will last her all her life.

I'm very happy for you, truly, and can only hope and pray that my own daughter can receive the same wonderful gift that you have given yours.

:)
IRTradRU?
springrobin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Post by springrobin »

I checked into this for my son and yes I'd say these schools are elitist. They say anyone can go there but the bus doesn't so if you don't have a flexible schedule your child can't be accomodated. Totally discriminates against families that rely on all income being earned outside of the home or families with no transportation. Also no latchkey. In addition, many of these schools have parent participation requirements that eliminate a lot of students. Definitely NOT accessible to all.......
missy

Post by missy »

springrobin:

I think "charter" and "magnet" schools are different things in different areas.

MAGNET schools are public schools that have some basis or teaching style or something that is unique to that school. There are montessori, paedia, fundemental academy, science and math academy, college prep, zoo, health services, etc. In this district, at least, they were set up to make the district be in compliance with a desegregation order. Some have the requirement of testing to be accepted (college prep, for example) others are on a first come basis (as long as leaving the neighborhood school doesn't skew the racial balance required by law).
But the are public schools in all services and areas - the teachers belong to the union, and they must follow all local and state dictates.

CHARTER schools are privately run schools that accept public funds. In other words, the funds that would be used by the student in the public school follow the student to the charter school. By law, a charter school MUST give entrance to any child that applies, unless there are things such as LD etc that cannot be adequately served by the charter school. The teachers are required to be union and must carry a certificate in their level of teaching, but not necessarily the specific subject. The students must pass the state graduation test to get a diploma, but all other standard tests are optional.

PAROCHIAL schools are those that are funding by student tuition AND some type of an organization - in most cases here a church. The kids must pass the graduation test, and the teachers must be certified in level, but not subject.

PRIVATE schools are funded by tuition or private sources. The kids must pass the graduation test, and the teachers do not need to be certified in education.

ALL kids in the state must be offered bus service or stipends if they live 1 mile or more away from the school (until 6th grade) or 2 miles or more away from the school (7th - 12th grade). It doesn't matter WHAT of the above school types they attend. It's up to the discretion of each district as to how they will follow this law. In this district, my kids had yellow bus service when they attended parochial school until 8th grade, my one son had a city bus pass for parochial high school, the other, we had to file to receive money when he attended a private school. Now that he will be attending a magnet school, he will be getting a city bus pass.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that in some areas, magnet and charter schools ARE public schools in as far as funding and transportation.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

springrobin wrote:I checked into this for my son and yes I'd say these schools are elitist. They say anyone can go there but the bus doesn't so if you don't have a flexible schedule your child can't be accomodated. Totally discriminates against families that rely on all income being earned outside of the home or families with no transportation. Also no latchkey. In addition, many of these schools have parent participation requirements that eliminate a lot of students. Definitely NOT accessible to all.......
There are always work-arounds for transportation, if this kind of education is important enough to you and to your family. Even in our private school, we had many families who relied on two (or more) incomes and who had limited transportation options...they worked out transportation arrangements with other parents. PCS also has information on city bus transportation to and from the school, which costs no more annually than what the school district charges for their busses.

FWIW, in our local district, there are no school busses for high school students in any case, so all parents have to work out transportation options...not just charter school parents. They also don't have afterschool care for children over the age of 13...so there's no difference there either.

Parent participation requirements (which are actually "family participation," and can be met by grandparents, or even friends of the family) are also relatively easy even for working families to meet if they're creative and care enough about the quality of education their children will receive to put out the effort. I know many people who met their service hours at our school last year by doing a little here and a little there, mostly on evenings and weekends. And yes...these were families in which both parents worked (sometimes multiple jobs)...and some of them were commuting over the hill or from Pajaro! Because charter schools don't get full public funding, that's the only way they can function. On the other hand, if you ask outright (as at least one parent did at our informational meeting in January), you'll learn that service hours "requirements" aren't actually legal "requirements." Because charter schools ARE public, they can't discriminate against students whose parents are unable to fulfill their service hours, nor can they do what most private schools do, which is BILL the parents for missed service hours.

It's easy to whine "oh, that's so elitist" because a particular school doesn't meet your family's particular needs. I've done my share of whining about the regular public schools around here and how they don't meet OUR family's needs (in fact, they don't even come close). Bottom line is, no school situation is going to suit everyone...but that's no excuse for all children to be forced into the same box. Instead of whining, it makes more sense to LOOK at the resources you have available to you (not only in terms of money, but in terms of people and creativity) and figure out how you can make things work.

A school with a curriculum that any private preparatory school would be proud to offer, but which charges no tuition, requires no testing for entry, and is open to any student in the county is not "elitist." If anything, the success of schools such as PCS (which had more than 100 kids on its seventh-grade waiting list this year) indicates that MORE such schools are needed and WANTED in our community.

Redwolf