GORT session digitized

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
MurphyStout
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by MurphyStout »

Well Brad, I'm sorry to say I do/did not play it the old way but don't hold it against me cause I never sat down to actually learn that tune. I just played it from memory and what was in my head so blame my subconsious hehe. Nice clips, you do some jazzy McGoldrick stuff in there towards the end of the A part that don't do either (thankfully ;) ). Thanks for the clips.

PS. remind me to have you lilt me some tunes like that next time we meet.
No I'm not returning...
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

MurphyStout wrote:Well Brad, I'm sorry to say I do/did not play it the old way but don't hold it against me cause I never sat down to actually learn that tune..
S'aright, hardly anyone in North America plays it the old way!

I'm mortified to hear that I did something McGoldricky; I'll give my flute a good coat of geezer grease to make sure that never happens again ;-)
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

But we must realize what an act of selflessness it is for Jack to admit he's not playing a tune the old, or should I say, orthodox way.

Heh.

Stuart
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

sturob wrote:But we must realize what an act of selflessness it is for Jack to admit he's not playing a tune the old, or should I say, orthodox way.

Heh.

Stuart
Stuart, you might be shocked if you heard me play that tune. I recorded it for eld the other day and he said it was the standard way of playing the tune and that I sounded very Molloyish. Scarey, I too will have to coat my flute with geezer grease this evening.
No I'm not returning...
jGilder

Post by jGilder »

bradhurley wrote:
MurphyStout wrote:Well Brad, I'm sorry to say I do/did not play it the old way but don't hold it against me cause I never sat down to actually learn that tune..
S'aright, hardly anyone in North America plays it the old way!
I do, and I get funny looks for doing it. I prefer it. I managed to get a couple of people to come along, but majority rules and all that craic.

I have just about worn my Gort session tape out and would love to see someone digitalize it. Until someone does I only have one thing to say:

KLAATU BARADA NIKTO

ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Brad -

Thank you for both the beautiful recordings. It's really nice to have a new version of The Green Mountain. It was the first reel I learned properly, taught to me by Mike McHale. It was that tune, along with The Maids of Mt. Cisco (also taught to me by Mike) that learnt me how to roll. Curiously, for many years I always played The Green Mountain into Swinging on the Gate (as you have) and then into The Peeler's Jacket. I'd always get complements from the old-timers for that combination. Nowadays I like to combine The Green Mountain with Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel and The Maids of Mt. Cisco.

Your playing, and that flute, sound just amazing. MUST... GET... Bb....

Peace,
Chris
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

Oh man where have I been these last few days? More stuff to add to my
"Brad folder" heh heh. and pick up on this tune which I have not yet
learned. Lovely "5-yr-old" job there Brad. The Gort clip is great too,
thanks for posting it. (I have to say though I'm rather partial to the way
you played this on your Bb!)
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Thanks Lesl, Chris, et al.

I really wasn't fishing for compliments on my flute playing, by the way...I posted it more in the hopes that an agent for some major record label would hear my unique singing style at the end of the cut and contact me about doing an album. But no such luck, I'm so depressed. I'm going to go eat worms now. :cry:
lunasaflute

Post by lunasaflute »

My god, that snippet from the Gort Session brings me back I can tell you.
It was an amazing night of music and fun. The legendry Frank McGann was there on the Bodhran, what a loss he is to the trad world. Linnane and Tully play great music together and MacDonnacha has some beautiful versions of old tunes. It was because of sessions like this one that I decided to put together the album "In Good Company" that featured Linnane and Tully.
I certainly don't have a problem with you digitizing the session and posting it on this site. However it would be good to get the o.k. from the others just to be on the safe side. I would love to get a copy of the session for myself. I had a tape of it long time ago but it went missing! I wonder if thats the copy you have(only joking). Anyway, delighted that ye like it.
Kevin Crawford
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Goodness, Kevin! Welcome to the board, nice to have you here!! :)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

My hero!

sigh

Mary :party:
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Amar's your hero? :o
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Denny

Post by Denny »

Might be the weather in Texas...

Sometimes that kind of heat will make some people crazy!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Denny wrote:Might be the weather in Texas...

Sometimes that kind of heat will make some people crazy!
..about me? 8)
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

lunasaflute wrote:My god, that snippet from the Gort Session brings me back I can tell you.
It was an amazing night of music and fun. The legendry Frank McGann was there on the Bodhran, what a loss he is to the trad world. Linnane and Tully play great music together and MacDonnacha has some beautiful versions of old tunes. It was because of sessions like this one that I decided to put together the album "In Good Company" that featured Linnane and Tully.
I certainly don't have a problem with you digitizing the session and posting it on this site. However it would be good to get the o.k. from the others just to be on the safe side. I would love to get a copy of the session for myself. I had a tape of it long time ago but it went missing! I wonder if thats the copy you have(only joking). Anyway, delighted that ye like it.
I guess this is one way to get permission.....and there you have it....