This guy makes me sick.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

@Matt, Read what Randomnotes wrote ^^^. he was well aware of this charlatan before I posted the link. It looks like Crook is a live, in the flesh troll. He apparently keeps his name in the fore by publicly denigrating soldiers. Unfortunately, Foxnews actually gave him airtime, thereby creating an agreement reality surrounding the character he is creating.

It's the exact same dynamic as an internet troll. When I first saw the video, I was furious. Now I am furious because I am sure that Foxnews knew that this guy was trolling and I am sure that most people who have seen the video believe the guy. How can any news media be so irresponsible?

Best,
Paul
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Hi Paul,

Sorry if I sound stupid, but... What do you call a troll? The only trolls I know are those:

(He's not exactly like Crook, but there is something...)

My french-english dictionnary does not give me any other definition :)

BTW, do you know a place where I could find responsible news media??? I'd be very interested... :lol:
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

Matt_Paris wrote:What do you call a troll?
On internet discussion groups, a troll is someone who posts outrageous statements for no reason other than to generate an argument and draw attention to himself or herself. You'll often see people reply to them with, "Please don't feed the troll."
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Paul

Post by Paul »

On the internet they are people who come around messageboards and post things with the sole intention of winding people up. We've had a few around here over the years. They'll take a ridiculous position on an issue or insult somebody and often the other boardmembers take it seriously. The payoff for them is getting attacked and sitting back and watching everyone go at eachother. Traditionally, the more you respond to a troll, the more garbage they stir up. This guy, instead of screwing around on an internet messageboard, is on national TV trolling the news media and the general public. He is apparently taking a position that he doesn't really believe in just to stir up the public for his own amusement. Back during WWII he probably would have been arrested for sedition or something.

I hope this answers your question, Matt!

Best,
paul
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Thanks to you both!

I think I quite understand now what a troll is...

:)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have a sister-in-law whose last name is Crook. It may not be a terribly uncommon name.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cynth wrote:I have a sister-in-law whose last name is Crook. It may not be a terribly uncommon name.
But it is an uncommonly terrible name. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cynth wrote:I have a sister-in-law whose last name is Crook. It may not be a terribly uncommon name.
I have a brother-in-law who is a crook.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats