SLPC - Summer tionól and David Power PHOTOS UPDATED

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:... can't wait to see it... but I suppose I'll have to. :D
We've got the SLPC interns working overtime down in the vaults of the SLPC underground headquarters.

OK, so we were too cheap to hire interns....so I asked Dale. He laughed me out of his office. :( Some day we'll have an intern. Or at least someone to take Baxter out for walks sometimes. He gets so lonely...as llamas often do...

At any rate, we're on it, and hopefully will have SOMETHING up in a week or so. All the best! :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It would seem that you already have an intern working for you...

... and it looks as though he knows his stuff! :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Clarification: David is a great piper.

But...

how is he at wielding farm implements? :wink:

t
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Tommy,

Can't speak too much for the farm tools etc. but we DID introduce him to the joys of polygamy whilst he was here! I can't explain it all here just yet, but wait for the photo my boys, wait for the photo! :D :D LOL
Baglady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baglady »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Can we discuss for a moment how this makes me feel? :lol:

Patrick - (one of the other teachers at the GNIUPC Tionol - there was another too but I can't remember him at all)
OK, OK
Even though YOU (and the other guy) weren't in SLC:

Patrick D'Arcy:

Excellent teacher, very patient with us all, even the guy who kept shooting pieces of his pipes across the room.

Great artist, as my pipe major would say "lovely, lovely"

Very tasty, I'm still chewing on that cran.

Tommy 'The Other Guy" Martin

Excellent instructor, I'm sure he would have been if I had had him for a class.

Great artist, I hear he can spin quite a yarn with balaclavas and billiard balls.

Very tasty, his dreamy is accented and his eyes are regulated.

Is that a good enough catch for your fishing trip?
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
malanstevenson
Tell us something.: I've been playing the uilleann pipes, flute and whistle for about 18 years or so. I've been listening to Irish and Scottish traditional music for almost 40 years now.

Post by malanstevenson »

The Inestimable Mr. Power enjoying Bountiful Utah

A last-minute emergency prevented Alan from getting his flight, and I know he was enormously disappointed that he couldn’t be with us, as were we. After a day of frantic phone calls, surfing for flights, and some very kind help along the way (with a particular shout-out to the Uilleann Network - Pat D’Arcy, Seth Gallagher, and Todd Denman - thanks guys!), a crack Special Forces unit was dispatched to extract Mr. Power from the Jersey shore and convey him to Utah via hovercraft and black helicopter.

With only 24 hrs. notice, David truly came through like a complete trooper for us, rearranging his life to make the trip. The whole affair came off far better than any of us could have imagined, from the workshops to the concert (and certainly the crack). Odd that no one mentions what lovely eyelashes he has...

Now that we know he’s a fly-fisherman, we’re already compiling lists of local trout streams and lining up guides to cajole him into an encore. Very honorable mention must be given to our benefactress, Caol Ritchie of the Utah Scottish Association, whose sponsorship and great aplomb in a pinch helped us avoid going fetal in a corner somewhere in a moment of crisis. Hats off to both.

Rock on.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Effing brilliant! :lol: :lol:
malanstevenson wrote:Odd that no one mentions what lovely eyelashes he has...
Yes........ very, very odd :o

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

He certainly looks like he is in his element. :lol: Love that T-Shirt! :lol: :lol:
No E

Post by No E »

Once David's wife gets a glance at that picture, I doubt you'll be seeing him in Utah again :D

On a more serious note, I hope everything is alright with Alan B.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Gettin' a taste of that renowned Utah polygamy, are we Dave?
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ah, David in all his porter consuming glory! What a time was had!! :D With a face like that, how could anyone NOT love the guy?! LOL He was a seriously first rate gentleman (believe it or not based on *that* photo!), and is most generous and patient with his time and talents. A great teaching style for beginner and advanced alike, and not a bad hand a making a kick butt reed or two. Although we found out that the "soft" cane we thought we had gotten from several different sources, wasn't so soft after all. Great to have firsthand insight like that when you're otherwise isolated in part from the piping community at large.

We'll keep the trout well stocked David...COME BACK!
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Brian-I spoke to David about flyfishing when he taught at the
Seattle Tionol. Maybe I should come out with a 5wt rod. Next year, you guys should have fly tying and reed making workshops (kinda the same skill- wrap and twist and little epoxy) and an expedition to a local stream.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

One of our local flute/box players does flys as well. I think we could combine the classes easily enough. ;) Of course, some of us pipers here might be tempted to throw our sets in the river if we take a fishing trip...out of frustration!
qwertymarka

that t-shirt rocks so much

Post by qwertymarka »

That picture just got Wasatch Brewing 20 of my dollars... I saw that t-shirt and had to have one... so I just got done ordering it. Maybe next week I'll get the one that simply says "I've tried polygamy." Much cooler would be getting one for my wife :D . She'd wear it. She's cool like that.

Although I'll tell you what... I don't even drink beer more than once or twice every three or four months... (don't like most beers...) and I want to start drinking this particular beer sight unseen. I call that effective marketing.

Maybe I'll roadtrip to Utah when I take the vacation I've promised myself after graduation. . . . . . . . simply for a beer or two.

s-
standardqwertykeyboardmark
The spiderbaby... it's got the body of a spider, but the mind of a baby.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Congratulations on your tionol in SLC, Brian. Sorry AlanB couldn't make
it. I had a surprise gift waiting for him...to increase his pleasure while
visiting the States. What we're dying to hear is all about the weather and
how David Powers liked it, or adjusted to it. Love that picture of Polygamy
Porter. That's bound to become popular everywhere! Wish I'd thought of it.