Peso Whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Phil Hardy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Peso Whistle.

Post by Phil Hardy »

Hi guys,just a quick note to say that Tony Hinnigans new CD "Peso Whistle" is available track by track as mp3 downloads form www.tonyhinnigan.com
This is an album of South American tunes ALL played on tin whistles.
Tony is adamant that the whistle should be used to play music from global sources NOT just celtic,and I must say that I agree with him.
My new CD (6 tracks in the can) has NO Irish music on it and I must say that it has been a real learning curve.Tony has definately been instrumental in my breaking away from playing just celtic music,this is not to say thay I don't play celtic music anymore,I love it but have just becaome saturated and playing other styles has given me a greater love of the whistle.
So check out Tonys' new CD and maybe learn some of the tunes on it,they are not hard and very lovely to play.
All the best
Phil.
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I never thought I'd dialog with an advertisment!

Every time I hear someone say aloud that somethng other than Celtic music can be played on a tin whistle, I duck and cover. I know what sort of attack the traditionalists are capable of. Funny response over something that historians claim was first produced in that country whose name some won't utter.

I must however voice my agreement that your whistle should be used to play any type of music that it's vaguely capable of. When I started trying to play whistle my goal was to be able to play this instrument as easily and expresively as I could 'mouth' whistle. Perhaps if I live another century or so I'll meet that goal, but I am still working toward it. Fortunately, my taste in tunes is not based on their ethnic origin. That would be so limiting.

Keep up the good works Phil. I enjoy the information enough to endure the advertisements.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Tony's album sounds fascinating, as does your new project. Keep us posted.
BTW-- I had a nice short phone conversation with Tony from LA the other day...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Funny, I just got a CD ("SuR" by the Argentine group Kells) which goes the other way -- it has a couple of tracks of Irish tunes played on a South American flute/whistle (the Quena). I'm working on a review....
markbell

Post by markbell »

What Duffy said... every word of it.

I absolutely fell in love with Andean folk music years ago after hearing a band playing in downtown Denver and buying a CD. When I got my first whistle, some of those tunes were the first that I learned.
sibilo ergo sum
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

If somebody wants to play music from South America or Russia or from wherever else on the tin whistle...then good for them. Personally I'm deeply interesed in Celtic music as far as the tin whistle is concerned. I don't mind hearing tunes from cultures other than the Celtic culture on the tin whistle occasionally, but I'd much rather hear tunes/music from Celtic culture as far as tin whistle is concerned.

As far as what Duffy said about playing tunes from only one culture is so limiting...I agree...but, to me this is not a negative thing. One of the reasons I took so well to the tin whistle and celtic music (with very traditional tastes) is the limitations. Limitations is something that I find to be a positive. Growing up in a world and location where everybody is extremely diverse, I find the "rules," the limitations of traditional celtic music as played on the whistle very comforting. It gives me a framework which to work in...and I know without even trying, I have, I am and I will naturally expand beyond this framework, beyond these limitations.
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

although I must say...It would be interesting to give a listen to the above mentioned Tony Hinnigan CD. Surely it would offer new, and hopefully tasteful ideas.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Duffy wrote:I never thought I'd dialog with an advertisment!

Every time I hear someone say aloud that somethng other than Celtic music can be played on a tin whistle, I duck and cover. I know what sort of attack the traditionalists are capable of. Funny response over something that historians claim was first produced in that country whose name some won't utter.

And what sort of attack would that be? I don't recall seeing people being attacked for playing whatever type of music they like, at least not here on c&f. But maybe you mean elsewhere.

I also don't understand that "country whose name some won't utter" reference. Please explain. Thanks.
/Bloomfield
BEC

Post by BEC »

..... I was playing some Vietnamese hymns on a couple of my whistles this past Sunday - in church, no less.....

Phil, I will check out the album you suggest. Thanks!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Bloomfield wrote:
Duffy wrote:I never thought I'd dialog with an advertisment!

And what sort of attack would that be? .
Pipe bombs made from low D whistles, no doubt... :lol:

Phil-- is Peso Whistle available as an actual CD? I'm not really into this downloading music thing and don't even (gasp!) own an MP3 player. I'd love this on plastic though.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
markbell

Post by markbell »

BEC wrote:..... I was playing some Vietnamese hymns on a couple of my whistles this past Sunday - in church, no less.....

Phil, I will check out the album you suggest. Thanks!
BEC,

Please check out www.praisewhistlers.com - it's a hang-out for those of us who like to whistle in church, as it were. We'd love to have your participation!

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Bloomfield wrote:
And what sort of attack would that be? I don't recall seeing people being attacked for playing whatever type of music they like, at least not here on c&f. But maybe you mean elsewhere.
[/quote]

Maybe not so much average shmoes like us, but here and at The Session I've seen bands like Flook! slagged off more than once. To what purpose, I have no idea.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

I remember hearing an album by a group called Micamac who played Irish Trad mostly, but on pan pipes and peruvian whistles and what not. It was brilliant! Actually, I would kill to find a copy of it if anyone can help....
What??
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

chrysophylax wrote:I remember hearing an album by a group called Micamac who played Irish Trad mostly, but on pan pipes and peruvian whistles and what not. It was brilliant! Actually, I would kill to find a copy of it if anyone can help....
No need to kill anyone....
chrysophylax

Post by chrysophylax »

ok, ok...... so i got a little excited. Sorry!
What??