GORT session digitized

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

GORT session digitized

Post by michael_coleman »

I remember hearing (I think from Blayne) that we were going to try and see if we could put the GORT sessions in some kind of digitized format so we could pass them around for learning purposes etc? Any word on getting this done? Anyone spoken with any of the attendees? Kevin Crawford et. all?
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Bump?
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

I assume this is the 1991 session tape from Kelly's Bar in Gort, Co. Galway, with Conor Tully, Tonny Linnane, Kevin Crawford, Padraic McDonacha, Terence O'Reilly, and Frank McGann?

If so, one great benefit of getting this more widely distributed would be to have more people playing The Green Mountain the way it used to be played ;-)

Everyone nowadays seems to play the Matt Molloy version, in which the turn is very similar to that of the Vincent Broderick tune, The Tinker's Daughter. I even play it that way myself, caving in to peer pressure, but prefer the old way...and that's the way they play it on this recording.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, I learned my version from Mike McHale, which in turn learned it from... I don't know! I doubt it's Matt M. though :-)
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Hmmm, I play both Tinker's dtr and the green mountain (I didn't know I played the green mountain but I found out I can play it). The two A parts are quite different but the B's are very similiar. Perhaps Brad could record the old green mountain to clear up any confusion! :wink:
No I'm not returning...
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Hi,
style and arange the tune to your own liking, but make sure to keep it within tha traditional realm, if we all were told that we had to play a tune exactly as it was played on a recording, i would put my flute away and never play againn, i get a great kick out of arranging and styling a tune to suit my liking,
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

MurphyStout wrote:Hmmm, I play both Tinker's dtr and the green mountain (I didn't know I played the green mountain but I found out I can play it). The two A parts are quite different but the B's are very similiar. Perhaps Brad could record the old green mountain to clear up any confusion! :wink:
Happy to oblige! Actually I already had a rather amusing recording from a few years back, playing this tune on my Bb Wilkes on the day I received my minidisc recorder in the mail...I was testing it out with my sound system and playing around with some way-out reverb effects just for fun. And then after the Green Mountain I went into Swinging on a Gate but stumbled and, well, the ending is just too silly.

The B parts of Green Mountain and Tinker's Daughter are indeed very similar, but in the "old way" of playing the Green Mountain there's a place in the first few bars of the B part where it goes down...that doesn't happen in the Tinker's Daughter. You'll hear it here on the MP3.

http://www.firescribble.net/GreenMt.mp3
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Better yet (much, much better, in fact), I've posted a clip from the above-mentioned Gort session with the Green Mountain in full swing. I love the sound of Kevin's flute here.

http://www.firescribble.net/GreenMountainGort.mp3
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Woof!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Listening to that just made me very happy! :) It would be great to be able to hear the rest of it.

-Kelly
Victor Dols

Post by Victor Dols »

Great playing Brad! What a lovely flute should it be.

Victor.
michael_coleman

bradhurley wrote: And then after the Green Mountain I went into Swinging on a Gate but stumbled and, well, the ending is just too silly.
:P
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

So... Why don't I do this... I'll post it (and divide all the sets into separate tracks) and put it on our media player... that way you can listen, rewind, etc... If Kevin emails and tells me to take it off then I'll gladly oblige! It is a great resource... A fiddler friend of mine and I are learning the whole session... Dminor tunes and all (yuck...) :)

:party:
sturob

Post by sturob »

Is that your Bb Wilkes, Brad?

It's a nice flute (if that's the one it is) . . . I've tooted on it myself.

Stuart
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

sturob wrote:Is that your Bb Wilkes, Brad?

It's a nice flute (if that's the one it is) . . . I've tooted on it myself.

Stuart
The very same. Boxwood with an unlined headjoint.

I recorded that bit about five years ago and I suppose I would play it a bit differently now, less "smooth" and more articulated, since my playing style has been heading in that direction.

But I'd still say "yeah" at the end.