Glenn Schultz: The Living Thread

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

here's a photo of Glenn (and Paul Busman) smiling widely on this thread:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... nn+schultz

He looks (and sounds) like a fellow who loved life; my condolences to all who knew him.

The skills he taught others live on to provide a fitting tribute to his life; how wonderfully generous he must have been.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Aw, man. I got my first real whistle from Glenn, and I still play at least one of his whistles almost every day. He brought a lot of joy to my life.

He will be missed.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I never had the opportunity to play one of his instruments, but I know from what people here have said that they're superb. Yet another thing to look forward to in Heaven!

I'll play "The Parting Glass" in his honor tonight.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I too heard the sad news this morning from Bree, and I can honestly say that for the short time I had the honor to get to know Glenn, that he was a generous man. His emails were always interesting, and I loved the way he spoke. I pray the Lord blesses his surviving family through their grief, and agree with many that Glenn will be missed!
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am saddened by Glenn's passing. I was never privileged to have known him, but I so wish we had crossed paths.

So many fine people, so little time...
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
walker

Post by walker »

I only knew Glenn through the beautiful Bb Water Weasel I play. His instruments are musical gifts, his passing a great loss.

Walker
Eliezer

Papa Glenn

Post by Eliezer »

I only knew him as a customer.

He was NOT unfailingly polite, which got us to the issue faster. And he solved my problem without a lot of blather - though Lord knows I tried.

I too shall play a lament on my Water Weasel tonight.
"Talk cannot cook rice." - Charlie Chan
glauber

Post by glauber »

How sad! :(

I talked with him quite a few times. I liked him a whole lot. Once i told him "i don't know why i call you so much" and he said "I guess it's because you love me". It was...

I was waiting for some extra money to ask Glen to make me a E W.W. I only have a D, and it's always been one of my favourite whistles.

How sad...
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
franfriel

Post by franfriel »

Wishing him swift wings for his journey home, and grace and peace to his dear family.
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
smwhistler

Post by smwhistler »

This is just devastating.
The traditional music world has lost a true craftsman, and a most generous soul.
I bought a thin weasel--used--and it had a crack in it. So I sent it to Glenn, who fixed it and sent it right back. Well, after having tried to fix it on 3 separate occasions, he finally gave up and sent me a brand new one to replace it. And charged me nothing more than postage.
I will cherish this one--as well as the low F water weasel (signed by Lunasa) as priceless heirlooms.
At a music store near me, there is a low D thin weasel flute--a beautiful piece of work. I was so tempted but I thought, maybe I'll ask Glenn if he has one I can get directly from him. Alas, it's too late for that. Perhaps I'll snatch it from the store (which shall remain nameless in case someone else gets the same idea), knowing there will never be any more made like it again...
Sandy :sniffle:
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

It is always a shock to hear of the death of someone you know. I met Glenn
a few years ago at Celtic Fest Chicago, and we had a great time sharing our love for whistles and flutes. One guy at the Fest was playing an old English made flute that Glenn had made a replacement headpiece for. I thought it was very beautiful work and told Glenn so. He was such a generous man that he sent me a jig for making the embouchure holes for the headpieces he made. Glenn was a brilliant man with a great feel for verse. His sense of humor was the most amazing thing about him. He saw things from all angles and it sometimes kept you on your toes keeping up with his wit. I knew his health was not too good then, but he continued to make the instruments he loved and to share his great knowledge with others. I guess I had been hoping that since he had kept working, his health had improved. I was very proud to get to know and to like Glenn and admire his work. I feel diminished as a maker not having him out there, but I know that there are at least a couple of guys that are making whistles that apprenticed with Glenn, so his work will continue in other loving and capable hands. I think of Glenn often, but had not emailed him for a while. I deeply regret that. His emails were a treat. You just could not guess what he might say next. He has a great many friends, of whom I considered myself one, and we all mourn his passing. His work remains, however, and will be cherished by those lucky enough to be in possession of his beautiful instruments. Those who were his family and friends have an even richer gift- The memories of a great character in the very best sense of the word, and a kind and generous man who shared his great heart and mind with all he touched. Thanks Glenn, for just being you.
Michael Burke
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The song of the smith lives in hearts of all his creations.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I had the pleasure of chatting with Glenn in the chiffy chatroom two or three times a few years back. I was beginning to do some PVC instrument making at the time and he gave me some good advice and in particular stressed taking precautions to prevent inhaling the dust which was something, as I recall, he said he had not done sufficiently. That makes news of Glenn's passing all the more poignant to me.

So sad...
Alan
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Such a bummer!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Glen was a great and generous soul and we'll all miss him!
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

How sad. :cry: I will be praying for his family and all who knew him. From reading all of the testimonies here, I think he must have been a very special person. May he rest in peace.

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~