Playing at a Wedding

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Danner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Playing at a Wedding

Post by Danner »

I was asked if I might be able to play flute at a wedding this July. :D I've never been to a wedding in my life, and, obviously, never played at one. I'm probably going to be able to do it. I don't think I'm going to have problems with finding music or anything. As far as I know, I'm going to only be playing a few prelude/postlude/etc. kind of things, not the whole service. I need to tell the family what my rate is, and I have no clue what would be the appropriate thing to charge. I could use some advice as to what seems reasonable.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
missy

Post by missy »

for "professional curtesy" sake, ask to speak to the music minister of the church or parish.
Some churches hold to strict rules as to what can or cannot be played in the facility, even if you are doing a prelude and not part of the actual ceremony. Talking with the music minister will let you know if there are any restrictions before you go and practice some songs! After you find out restrictions - make a list of songs you think are appropriate that you play (a tape is also good) for the couple to choose from.
Also find out if there will be any type of amplification, if you need to bring your own, or if you don't need any (depends on the size and structure of the building).
As part of the prelude, you want to be as "unobtrusive" as possible. This will mean dressing somewhat subdued, but tastefully.

Cost is somewhat subjective. If you need to bring sound equipment - charge more. If you need transportation, or the venue isn't close, charge more. I usual "start" at $50 for a wedding, and worked up or down depending on circumstances, etc.
Write up a contract for the couple and you to sign (and the music minister, if appropriate). Just looks a lot more professional.

Good luck!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I played at a wedding last summer. It wasn't planned. There was a dual wedding outside at my wife's cousin's house. The theme was pirates. Most of the people were dressed like pirates. While we waited for the second couple to show up I played my whistle. The groom of the first couple wanted me to play some chipper tunes during the ceremony. I asked if he wanted something somber but the beer had begun to take it's toll. He said, "No, play that one you just played." I don't rembember what it was but it wasn't typical wedding music.
So, as the dual couple ran up the make-shift aisle I played happily away on my Copeland.

What fun it was.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I played whistle (as well as being an usher) at my sister's wedding last year. Needless to say, I was not payed for the gig. I did, however, receive a very nice LED flashlight as a gift for being a member of the wedding party. :D
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The standard GHB rate is $150 (yes per hour) that is all I know.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I would do it for free, or for as cheaply as possible. Weddings cost so much anyway.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Cranberry wrote:I would do it for free, or for as cheaply as possible. Weddings cost so much anyway.
I agree- -unless you're doing this as an ongoing business, look at it as a way to spread some joy to a young couple. Also, you won't believe how much fun you have doing it. I'd almost PAY to play at weddings. You may get a good free dinner out of it too.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Danner

Post by Danner »

Missy, what is a music minister? I go to a small lutheran church where there's only one pastor, so do you mean that there are sometimes ministers that only do the music for that church? It'll probably be at a church where there will be mics already set up.

They did ask me what my fee was, instead of asking me to do it as a favor. I don't want to charge a lot, but I will need at least something for transportation and a new shirt to wear to the wedding. I don't know the couple, but one of their mothers works as a secretary at my old school. I'll think about it, and maybe ask my band director, who will probably be playing piano at the wedding.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
missy

Post by missy »

Danner - yes, in a lot of churches here, there are "paid" employees who do music full time. Especially in Catholic churches, where you have multiple daily masses, funerals, baptisms, weddings, kids masses, numerous choruses and choirs, etc.etc. - there is usually an organist/music director.
But I've also been in small, non-denominational churches that have a music minister.
So, just something to check beforehand.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Wedding rates depend on the area. Around here, it is not unusual to pay $500-$1000 for a wedding band. Ask other musicians in your area what they normally charge.

Justine
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

A quick search of google turns up American rates for wedding flutists with websites ranging from $100 per hour to $500 per hour. Some groups have two or three hour minimums and/or a mininum number of musicians. As I understand it, you are being requested to play a prelude, perhaps a march, and a recessional, and not at the reception which can often be two or three hours.

You sort of know the family, but aren't really friends with them, so I wouldn't want you to take a loss on the event. My suggestion is $100 USD for up to an hour's worth (includes background music before ceremony), $50 if they only want three tunes or less. I don't know what dress shirts costs where you are, but that will probably cover it plus transportation. You might ask the bride's family how formal the attire is, or just come out and ask what they would like you to wear.

If it were me, I'd probably skip the reception because you are not really friends of the family. One plate could easily cost the family as much as your fee, and that is where you can be considerate and save them a few bucks.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Danner wrote:Missy, what is a music minister? I go to a small lutheran church where there's only one pastor, so do you mean that there are sometimes ministers that only do the music for that church? It'll probably be at a church where there will be mics already set up.

They did ask me what my fee was, instead of asking me to do it as a favor. I don't want to charge a lot, but I will need at least something for transportation and a new shirt to wear to the wedding. I don't know the couple, but one of their mothers works as a secretary at my old school. I'll think about it, and maybe ask my band director, who will probably be playing piano at the wedding.
Check with the minister or priest that will be doing the ceremony.They can advise you as to what is or is not allowed or expected. In some churches it's no big deal, in others it is.

For example: in the Episcopal church, according to my musician's handbook,

" The cannons and rubrics of the church govern the selection of music for special services such as weddings"..........Neither popular music nor secular opersa are appropriate. " "The words of anthems are to be from Holy Scripture, or from this book(BCP), or texts congruent with them".

You could read something like this and not realize that in the above case the priest may or may not allow "other" music. My priest is pretty easy going re: music and texts, but not all are. A neighboring parish has an organist that will not play anything that is not in our Hymnal. If the couple wants something else, they have to find another organist.

I've always figured it's easier to clear any music with the priest or minister than it is to practice something and then find out you are not allowed to play it.

And, do not, I repeat do not, let the couple come up at the last minute with some request that is not on your playlist. I can't tell you how many times I've had last minute requests/changes, and it's something I've never played before(I'm talking organ here). If they want something I have to learn, t hey have to allow time to do that and will have to pay extra. It always amazes me that people who can't play any insturment think that someone who does play it should be able to play any tune on the thing at a moment's notice. :roll:

Unless you are a friend of the family or somesuch relationship, then you should charge a decent fee. After all, you are providing a unique and valuable service.

and Unseen is right about the going rate for GHBs. It's the same around here anyway.

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I certainly think you should charge whatever you end up thinking is fair. I assume you are not a millionaire.

I don't think the cost of clothing should enter into it because you will be able to wear that shirt again, maybe for another wedding. And a musician would be expected to cover her own clothing costs. But just charge the going rate for how much you are going to play and what kind of instrument and your level of musicianship if that enters into it.

There is nothing wrong with a musician being paid fairly for a job well done!!
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Question: what does GHB mean? A search turned up links related to a steroid and another drug. My guess is that it is a term for a union musician. Close?

I'm sure everyone would like a report of how the performance goes.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Great Highland Bagpipes.