Teada pics...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Teada pics...

Post by brewerpaul »

I had the good fortune to catch Teada on Sunday at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs. Lena is a legendary coffee house which has hosted an amazing array of talent in it's 45 year history, including a very young Bob Dylan. Don Maclean introduced American Pie from their tiny stage. The intimate setting was perfect for a small IRTRAD band.
Teada has the good sense to play their tunes at a sane, danceable pace rather than the lightning speed that you hear all too often. Not pokey by any means, but leisurely and comfortable enabling you to really hear the tune not just a rush of notes. Not that these guys CAN'T fly, which they demonstrated in a couple of reel sets.

Here's an artsy-fartsy one:
Image I happened to look at a piano standing off to the side of the stage and noticed this image. I had to shoot it without flash or the reflection would have been lost.

The band was off to Ireland the next morning, but the'll be back in the USA again soon. Check Teada.com for other tour dates, and don't miss them!
After the gig, flute/whistle player Damien Stenson was kind enough to take some time to check out a couple of whistles I "just happened" to have along.

His comments were very helpful, and it was wonderful to hear my instruments played by a real pro. BTW-- in another thread it was mentioned that Damien plays his flute in the usual, right handed fashion, but that's not correct. See the first picture. His two flutes are custom made, left handed models. Alas, he only played one whistle-- a lowish Cillian O'Brian.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jsluder

Re: Teada pics...

Post by jsluder »

brewerpaul wrote:I had the good fortune to catch Teada on Sunday at Caffe Lena in Saratoga Springs. ... The intimate setting was perfect for a small IRTRAD band. ...
Great pics, Paul! I love the shot of the reflection in the piano.

I prefer small venues for most music, though certain instruments (like GHBs <ahem>) are best heard in a larger setting.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Teada pics...

Post by burnsbyrne »

brewerpaul wrote: BTW-- in another thread it was mentioned that Damien plays his flute in the usual, right handed fashion, but that's not correct. See the first picture. His two flutes are custom made, left handed models.
Well I'll be a horse's ass. I'm the one who wrote that high grade of what comes out of a horse's... I can't believe that I sat there for two hours looking at that man playing flute left handed and didn't realize it. I'd like to blame it on senility but I'm not quite old enough to claim it. Must have been the pint of Guinness and the jumbo Kosher hot dog that skewed my perception of reality. Sheeeesh.
Mike
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I saw Téada back in February. I remember watching the band and thinking "hey, that flute-player is quite good and-- huh? Whoah! He's a lefty."

I chatted with him briefly after the show and he plays a Wilkes for those who care into that sort of thing.

Cheers,
Aaron
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

Leftist power!!!

\M/ :x \M/

:D
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.