It's Sickening

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

All this talk of food... and I haven't had a steak in weeks. I think it's time!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

ROFLMAO Image Love the new name!!

Thanks for the recipe Anna!!

Hwyl fawr,
Andrea ~*~
DazedinLA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DazedinLA »

Speaking of food...this is for you guys on the other side of the pond who get BBC... Iwas on a Delta flight last week and saw a video interview (emphasis on "saw" because I didnt have headphones) of a woman who does a cooking show from her house in (London?)...probably the most beautiful women I've seen in the media in a long time...Ive forgotten her name...who is she? Beautiful dark hair....I think the title of her show is : "....[fill in her name] Bites"

So here is my own recipe--guaranteed to impress your girlfriend, or someone you want to be your girlfriend, or your wife:

DAZED'S FANTASTIC CHINESE CASHEW CHICKEN

(bear with the wierd desriptions because Im not a chef kinda guy and dont know what some of these ingreditnts are really called)

First, you get a wok. Heat it up.

Cook 1/2 cup whole unsalted cashews until theyre toasty, then take 'em out and put em aside in a cup or something.

Chop at least 5 garlic cloves really fine (I use more...sometimes the whole clump).

Chop 5 or 6 of those long stringy green onions.

Chop up a chicken.

You can use one of those packages of chicken breasts if you want, thats usually enough.

Chop up a red bell pepper. You can also add other veggies if you want (You can even leave out the chicken if you want, Fatveg!) like broccoli, fore exampel.

You need some red wine, and some peanut oil, and some sesame oil. Oh, and some soy sauce.

OK, so you coocked da cashews and theyre set aside, so now heat up about 1/4 cup of peanut oil in the wok, and put in the garlic...cook it till it gets soft and light brown and starts to smell good.

Then add the chicken and some soy sauce. I usually start with about 1/8 cup, but you may need a bit more depending on how much chicken you got in da pot. Remember you cook food in a wok by cooking stuff inthe center then pushing it to the side of the slope of the wok, rotating food like this till its all done.

When the chicken is about 1/2 cooked, add the red bell pepper and about 4 tsp of sesame oil (you have to do this to taste, I add a lot more). Add some red wine now too. To the wok, that is.

When the chicken is done, turn off the wok and mix in the cashews and green onion.

This is best served over simple steamed white rice.

Last tip: The key to this and most chinese cooking is the garlic and the oils. Use as much garlic, peanut oil and sesame oil as you feel comfortable. This is a dynamite dish if you use the right proportions of ingredients...if you do this and its boring, add a LOT more of the peanut oil and sesame oil. I do this now not with measuring cups, but by feel, and I probably use more oil than the health freaks would like, but the last time I prepared this for some friends, a married couple, the wife proposed to me (but thats another story...)

If anyone actually makes this, let me know!!

DAZED
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

So, did we change our mind about the sickeningness? I guess it's nice to be on better terms.
Reasonable person
Walden
keiths

Post by keiths »

On 2002-05-26 20:07, DazedinLA wrote:
Speaking of food...this is for you guys on the other side of the pond who get BBC... Iwas on a Delta flight last week and saw a video interview (emphasis on "saw" because I didnt have headphones) of a woman who does a cooking show from her house in (London?)...probably the most beautiful women I've seen in the media in a long time...Ive forgotten her name...who is she?
(snip)
Nigella Lawson A.K.A 'The Domestic Goddess'
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Mmmm, Nigella...

:smile:
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Nigella...Yes! Thats it. Thanks :smile:

I wonder if she's ever played a whistle? :smile:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-05-27 04:53, Jens_Hoppe wrote:
Mmmm, Nigella...

:smile:
Mmmm indeed! Nigella just oozes sex appeal, I even know straight women who fancy her!

She has a healthy appreciation of her food, but manages voluptuous without tending into cushioned IYKWIM.

She's the daughter of the incredibly ugly Conservative MP Nigel Lawson, total bag of warty spanners, which makes her looks even more amazing.

Plus , women who can cook, mmmh!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

OK -- I made it through all 38 pages because I figured it had to be some kind of rite of passage for initiates, and it only took me slightly longer that it took to read "Atlas Shrugged" (proper use of quotations to designate a title in the absence of italics or underlining). But I was disappointed to see that you missed two of what I consider to be controversial matters of import, to wit:

1. Corporate haggis farming -- This really disgusts me, and I'm surprised PETA has not taken a stronger stance on the issue. The thought of all those poor little haggisses crammed in their pens shoulder to shoulder without enough room to even turn around just makes my gorge to rise. The haggis was meant to run free, and to deny it its basic freedom, indeed, to deny it the very warmth of the sun and the feeling of the wind blowing through its long, silky fur is most inhumane and cruel. I don't have a problem with free-range haggis, but please, don't buy corporate-farmed haggis.

2. Chili -- There is nothing here in the states more controversial -- not abortion, not gay rights, not defense spending, not even Florida ballots, but chili, and specifically, who makes it best. Two facts are, of course, incontrovertible -- (1) Texas chili sucks, and (2) I make the best chili in all Christendom. All else is open to debate and frequently is.

Thanks to all for an enjoyable read, and now I've got to go explain to to my wife why the flower beds didn't get dug this morning.

(And finally, I'll admit it -- I didn't really finish "Atlas Shrugged," which I started in 1968. I quit when I found out who John Galt was, although I can't remember who he turned out to be. I think it had something to do with trains.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gonzo914 on 2002-05-27 13:57 ]</font>
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-05-27 11:02, gonzo914 wrote:

But I was disappointed to see that you missed two of what I consider to be controversial matters of import, to wit:

2. Chili -- There is nothing here in the states more controversial -- not abortion, not gay rights, not defense spending, not even Florida ballots, but chili, and specifically, who makes it best. Two facts are, of course, incontrovertible -- (1) Texas chili sucks, and (2) I make the best chili in all Christendom. All else is open to debate and frequently is.
I'm afraid you've opened a can of worms -- Chili is also one of the many foci of extremists and conspiracy theorists. Of course, the extremists are both right-wing and left-wing (chili either MUST HAVE or CAN'T HAVE meat). Unfortunately, the Framers were silent on this issue (and barbecue as well).

I'm a firm believer that all chilis were created equal. Meat, veggie, with beans, without beans; New Mexico, Texas, even Cincinnati. I've cooked all of 'em, and enjoyed most.

Charlie
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Local name for tulips: "Deer Candy"

I'm in the process of buying four acres of pasture on the edge of town, building a little house on it, and planting it in native plants. My plan is to get a big dog and train it to dislike deer. A big dog will live right around ten to fifteen years, so by the time it's too old to chase off the deer, the plants will be established enough to handle their browsing. In the long run, I plan on having my own little private deer/rabbit/miscellaneous critter preserve. I think mule deer are one of the most beautiful creatures on the planet. Just have to keep them away long enough to get some trees and shrubs growing.

Of course, the surest way to keep the critters from eating on your plants is to turn the tables on them...I've heard a woodchuck can be pretty good chow in the hands of a good cook...And a nice, tender mule deer steak, wrapped in bacon and charcoal broiled...ahh. Nothing like it in the world. I sort of admire vegatarians, but for the life of me I just can't see any reason for tofu. Please forgive me. :grin:

So, anyone interested in a recipe for Venison Chili? :smile:

I've also been thinking about raising a small heard of organic, semi-free range haggis. Not sure how they'd do without heather and gorse go graze on, though. I'll keep you all posted.

Tom--a carnivore
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Ummm, is that Nigella person one of those Martha Stewart types that's gonna ruin it all for us regular typw women? DazedinLA has the right idea, you guys cook for us!

Hope she's not a poet like me!

kitchen sings

my kitchen sings soprano
with fresh ginger
lemon zest an opera
crisp green apples
an oratorio
and brown sugar
voluptuous in my hands
I knead the butter
and crumbly oats
knife against thumb
I make a
perfect spiral peel
of pale jade
I inhale the spices
hoarding each scent
for future memories
the allure of my oven
this orgy of aromas
and texture
my delight is manifest
my regard is tangible
dessert will serve
when affection doesn’t

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-05-27 13:16 ]</font>
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I'm having fun reading through this topic. I haven't read through the whole thing, so I finally saved the entire 39 pages to my computer. I'm enjoying myself as I read through them. I'm finally understanding what distured people we are. We ought to have a family picnic!

There was some talk of Buddaism many, many pages back, which caught my eye. No one meantioned that there are also four noble truths about whistles. The first, simple is "There are whistles." The second is "Attachment to whistles causes WhOA" The third, "WhOA ends by letting go of whistles." And finally, "Participatiing in Dale's12 step program leads to the end of WhOA." Of course, I don't think Dale currently HAS a 12 step program to end WhOA, but damn it, he should. We need help!

I realize that now I have to be publicly flogged for bending the four noble truths.

Actually, the saddest truth is that I learned about the four noble truths through an article in Vegetarian Times, which used the four noble truths to demonstrate how they could help in LOSING WEIGHT! Of all the vain, stupid things!

I promise not to be THAT insensitive.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

I just logged off and sat down to a dish of chocochip icecream with sprinkles and thought . . did I just plagerize material in my last comment? It's funny, but I think I've heard my post somewhere else . . .maybe even on this board!
So, apogogies in advance, if it turns out I did.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Phil Hardy

Post by Phil Hardy »

OK,WHO CHANGED THE POST TITLE.

IS NOTHING SACRED ANYMORE.

THIS HAS BECOME A FAMOUS POST WORLDWIDE<SO I INSIST ON PUTTING THE ORIGIONAL NAME BACK PLEASE.

PHIL(DISGRUNTLED)

any way I like the origional name.