East Durham- anybody going?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Rick C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

East Durham- anybody going?

Post by Rick C. »

I'm heading up there for my first time, am looking forward to a week with Jackie Daly.

Anybody else going?

Thanks,

Rick
Last edited by Rick C. on Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You cain't teach what you don't know anymore'n you can come back from where you ain't been".-- John Osteen
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Yes! I am! :party: This will be my third year. I always love it. I'm not a box player, but I think Jackie Daly's cool. I remember last year at a session(at Erin's Melody?), there were these two very loud guys talking(yelling,really)at the bar for quite some time, and he just got up, still playing his accordian,walked over to them with a little smile on his face, and played in their faces 'till they got the point and quieted down. I think everyone else in that session was grateful, I know I was. :D
I'm taking intermediate pipes from Jerry O'Sullivan and advanced flute from June McCormack. Anyone going to be in one of the same classes? Last year we tried to have some sort of chiff&fipple get-together, but it never quite happened, at least not that I'm aware of. I met a few other chiffers, but we didn't really sit down and play anything together. Wanna try again? One way to recognize me there is that I have a tag on my flute case that has my name and contact info on one side, and on the other it says "I (heart) Bb." That's in case anyone ever wants to have a nice flat session with me. 8)

-Kelly
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

A week with Jackie Daly sounds like nirvana to me. I am, of course, impecuniously stuck on the wrong side of the Atlantic Ocean :cry: , but I'm with you vicariously. As for Bb, or any other keys for that matter, we diatonic harmonica players can cope with anything. We just pick up a different-keyed harp!

Enjoy, and all the best

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Given the amount of money I sent them, I think I'd best actually show up... ;)
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Would it be a good idea to post links to this thread on the flute, whistle, and uilleann pipe forums? I don't think everyone reads this one.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Oh, I'm going to be in basic ceili & set dance in the AM, and doing intermediate flute with
paul mcgrattan in the pm. Seems like learning the basics of these dances is something
I ought to do, and I'd as soon focus on only one instrument class.

You could post a cross-link if you'd like, it is true not everyone reads this forum. I would've
thought, given the nature of the week, that those interested in East Durham would
read this forum, but maybe not.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Oh, I'm going to be in basic ceili & set dance in the AM, and doing intermediate flute with
paul mcgrattan in the pm. Seems like learning the basics of these dances is something
I ought to do, and I'd as soon focus on only one instrument class.

You could post a cross-link if you'd like, it is true not everyone reads this forum. I would've
thought, given the nature of the week, that those interested in East Durham would
read this forum, but maybe not.
I took Paul McGrattan's intermediate flute last year, it was good! You'll like it.
I just posted a link to this thread in the other forums, maybe we'll get some more people in it now.

-Kelly
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

I remember last year at a session(at Erin's Melody?), there were these two very loud guys talking(yelling,really)at the bar for quite some time, and he just got up, still playing his accordian,walked over to them with a little smile on his face, and played in their faces 'till they got the point and quieted down. I think everyone else in that session was grateful, I know I was.
Hey....I was there...it was GREAT !

Thanks for the crosspost

Jack
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Kearnybagpiper

Post by Kearnybagpiper »

I'm going up for my second year. Intermediate piping with Jerry O in the morning and reed making with Benedict K on the PM
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Chiffers at East Durham

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have been going to East Durham for several years now. Wonderful time. I took Dana Lyn's intermediate fiddle class last year and will be taking her int./adv. techniques class this year. Several years ago I took Paul McGrattan's advanced flute class. Still have some tunes on that tape to get under my belt! My suggestion for getting together is to post a notice at the registration office with a meeting place and time. Perhaps a regularly scheduled location and time so we can meet and play throughout the week. Cheers, Arbo.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I think we're going, at least for a couple of days (we have all these family weddings & c. up that way the same darn week -- blessing? Or curse?). Anyway, we're going to try for some day classes and hopefully catch a few sessions, too.

I'll be the one with the "We Like The Moon" marmots (from rathergood.com) on my flute case. (No Bb, sorry :-()
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Re: Chiffers at East Durham

Post by Cathy Wilde »

ImNotIrish wrote:<snip>My suggestion for getting together is to post a notice at the registration office with a meeting place and time. Perhaps a regularly scheduled location and time so we can meet and play throughout the week. Cheers, Arbo.
Great idea, Arbo!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Hey, Kearnybagpiper, I'll see you in Jerry's class then! How will I know you? I probably won't have my flute case at that class, so here's a pic of me with my lovely Bb flute. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kellydebu ... pg&.src=ph

About getting together, why not get something at least vaguely decided here? We can certainly post a notice at the registration office, but it might be good to first see what time and place would work for most people. Something centrally located, and after the classes but before the concerts and most of the sessions? I don't really remember the actual schedule, so what would be a good time? Oh, I'm so excited! I love this week! :D
ImNotIrish

schedule @ E. Durham

Post by ImNotIrish »

From what I remember, there are morning classes, a break for lunch and afternoon classes. Immediately following the afternoon classes are intermediate sessions, and master classes on a variety of instruments. These change daily. For example, I sat in on a class led by Joanie Madden. It was crowded, and if you can handle a roomful of out of tune flutes and whistles,
and you have a recorder (for the moments the teaching artist is playing solo), it's worth the discomfort. There's a break for dinner, with evening sessions beginning around 8:00. Around 10:00 p.m. there are concerts by the teaching staff. These are definately worth attending and recording. If you're a die-hard, you can bar hop and hear music till the very wee hours of the morning.

Arbo
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I was in that Joanie Madden whistle masterclass too, did you get the truck outside the window recorded like I did? :D I did remember about as much as you said about the schedule, but not the exact times of when the concerts start and stuff.