Best recordings of Jean Michel Veillon??

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
franco
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best recordings of Jean Michel Veillon??

Post by franco »

I've got all Veillon's solo albums, but I've been looking at buying some of the older albums of groups he played with like Barzaz or Pennou Skoulm. Can anyone recommend some of the best ones out of the following??

Barzaz "ERC'HONDER"

Barzaz "AN DEN KOZH DALL"

and lastly "Pennou Skoulm" who I believe have only one album available now.

I intend to get 3 of the Kornog ones I don't have, but am curious to know which of the above are best for flute and traditional tunes. I would prefer more instrumental to songs.
Flute for thought.
bradhurley

Re: Best recordings of Jean Michel Veillon??

Post by bradhurley »

franco wrote:and lastly "Pennou Skoulm" who I believe have only one album available now.
Pennou Skoulm is great; I would definitely get that.

There are other bands he played with in the past, for example Den...sort of a Breton version of Moving Hearts, but I wasn't too taken with that album. Also he appears as a guest musician on many other albums; one of my favorites is the CD "Empreintes" by guitarist Gilles Le Bigot, which came out just a couple of years ago. J-M plays on a few tracks.
franco

Post by franco »

Thanks for the tips, Brad. I'll definately get the 2 you mentioned.
Flute for thought.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I second Pennou Skoulm. Imagine the Bothy Band playing Breton music... that would be Pennou Skoulm.

Cheers,
Aaron
radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Hello Franco, if you already have all the JM solo albums why don't you just buy all the others cds? : JM is simply too much....You must know it!
I could advise you to buy "ERC'HONDER"(Barzaz) or "Fest-Noz"(Pennou Skoulm): both are wonderful (but quite rare on web)

you could quite often find the others cds on Ebay for few money.
in Example I bought 2 copies of AN DEN KOZH DALL for 0,2 cent +shipping
and the Den's cd for 5€.. : )
just keep looking...

ps..I'm also thinking to buy "E Koad Nizan" even if I have it original already! it's too much beautiful!

Frank
Tchie

Post by Tchie »

Hello, to choose between Barzaz or Pennou Skoulm, I just say that Barzaz is more Breton and there is Yann-Fanche Kemener; one of the great singer who sings in Breton.

Personally I love two of them. And as the person above mentionned I love "E Koad Nizan". (It is my best now)

By the way, I got a copy of Galorn. It was on LP and a friend of mine copied to CD for me and for Jean-Michel since he had not have it!

(yes, it is one of the ancient album of JM, for more detail in French: )
http://www.gwerz.com/artistes/biographies/veillon.htm

this one shows footsteps of JM at the period he had serching of his music identity, the style of play etc, (interesting, he plays more "Irish") well, I suppose... :)
franco

Post by franco »

Sorry to bother you again guys. Could someone tell me how many different albums Pennou Skoulm have released. Is it just 1 that was re released in 2001 or are there more?? If so what are the names of the different albums??
Flute for thought.
Tchie

Post by Tchie »

franco wrote:Sorry to bother you again guys. Could someone tell me how many different albums Pennou Skoulm have released. Is it just 1 that was re released in 2001 or are there more?? If so what are the names of the different albums??
There is only one. http://www.jmveillon.net/fr_pages/frame ... scographie

Since Coop Breizh had replessed some years ago, we can find (but rare) it, together with one of Barzaz (there are two exist) and Triptyque where Patrick Molard plays a wooden flute!! (he plays so well!)

These series are, for fan of Brittany music, we cannot miss.

http://www.coop-breizh.com/

(Even if they do not have on the net, we should try phoning/faxing/sending mail, the treasures are buried among other recent CDs...)

Try also Keltia music
http://www.keltiamusique.com/
for those who like to listen to Nicolas Quémener's woodenflute's tone on the "Skeduz". This one is easy to get.
franco

Post by franco »

Thanks for that, Tchie. Lots of help :wink:
Flute for thought.
Booseyflute

Jean_Michel Veillon solo & group CD availability

Post by Booseyflute »

Jean-Michel's website has a complete discography of his solo and group efforts, and some information on where some of them can be obtained in Europe:

http://www.jmveillon.net/fr_pages/frame ... scographie

Click the button marked "Liens" (Links) to see the contact information for the different publishers of all the CDs.

I have several of the solo and group recordings for sale and can get any others that are in print (I do this because of the near-impossibility of obtaining his recordings in the US or Canada, other than the KORNOG album on Green Linnett).

As for the terrific album <i>Pennoù Skoulm</i>, there is only one recording--their original effort--which I believe has been re-released, but I'll check to make sure.
Last edited by Booseyflute on Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Booseyflute

Jean-Michel Veillon solo & group CDs

Post by Booseyflute »

<i>Pennoù Skoulm</i> was indeed re-issued by Coop Breizh and they may have some copies left (info@coop-breizh.com) although it's not listed on their website. The group was reconstituted a couple of years ago and has been doing some concerts in Europe; they have also started recording a new CD, although that may not completed for several months or more.

I do have 3 copies of Kornog IV, an <i>An Naer</i> re-issue on CD of a tape made in the 80s; the price is $20 per CD + $3.85 for Priority Mail shipping.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.
Ralph Waldo Emerson