Flute Photos!!! Come post your flute pictures :)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Lightheaded Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lightheaded Mike »

Jon,
I just hope you can find someone who can make a new barrel for you :wink: . Glad you won the auction. Did Patrick Olwell re-work it at all?
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Lightheaded Mike wrote:Jon,
I just hope you can find someone who can make a new barrel for you :wink: . Glad you won the auction. Did Patrick Olwell re-work it at all?
I don't think I will do anything to the flute, but play it! :D
I heard that he tweaked it a little, Im sure whatever he did, was an improvement! It sounds great! I called up and got to hear a tune on it. Very strong tone for a boxwood.
It is a nice color too.
Now I have to wait, I can see what the people that buy my flutes feel like.
Jon
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I got my A'maine flute from Patrick Olwell!
The flute is in tune to A=440, and the flute has a very strong loud tone.
You would think with the size of the tone holes and being boxwood, it would be quite, but...
There is still some good deals out there on ebay. Thanks to everyone who didn't bid on it! :lol:
Jon
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Here's my new delrin flute from Jon C.

Jay
Chang He

Post by Chang He »

That's beautiful. Is it delrin? And I am max impressed with the silverwork.
A voice in the dark imploring,
A sweet flute play’d in the light
-Arthur Edward Waite
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

Thanks Chang. I was impressed too when I opened the box. Jon C. does beautiful work. It is delrin, which should remain in tact (despite my neglect) here in Arizona.

Jay
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

wow nice delrin. Jon just added some nice aesthetics to my M&E original (in Eilam fashion) and put some cork on the tenons as they were quite loose.

Not the best shot of the crown but you get the idea:

I'll bet Jon's glad he learned the nice crown embellishment from Casey.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

michael_coleman wrote: I'll bet Jon's glad he learned the nice crown embellishment from Casey.
Micheal is right, Casey is a great guy, I visited with him last summer, when I was in Seattle. Even though I called him from the ferry, (20 minutes from his house) he still let me come over and see him! While I was there he let me play the many flutes he had in his shop, all of which played beautifully, and showed me the technique to make the chadder design on the crown. (Of course, I should be paying royalties...) What impressed me the most was his harvest of peppers forme his garden! 8)
wow nice delrin. Jon just added some nice aesthetics to my M&E original (in Eilam fashion) and put some cork on the tenons as they were quite loose.
It will be hard to return as it plays so nicely...
Jon
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon, nice looking flute. Will you change my Seery's thread to cork?

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi Kevin,
I could do that, but it will cost you a WFO3! :D
I will call you.
Jon
Michael Flatley

Jon
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

My first "real" flute...not the best photo.

A Casey Burns Blackwood with rings and a slide. The head is partially lined, short foot. I got this 2nd hand (for a very good price...thanks thurlowe/Cara!!!) but it's exactally what I would have ordered from Casey if I'd had the money for a new one.

It's a nice solid feeling flute, without being clunky. The blow hole (I can never remember how to spell the correct term) is larger than on any other flute I've had, but it seems to respond really well when I cover quite a bit of it with my lip.

I'm very pleased with it.

-Brett
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Nice rings!
Michael Flatley

Jon
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

I have a new digital camera so here are some better shoots of Rosewood D keyless flute four piece Pratten copy with tunable sliding head made by Alan Ginsberg in Wales U.K

Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is my latest patient, just got her playing. The flute was made by Blackman/London. I think it is a keeper... :party:

It did have a few cracks...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Henke

Post by Henke »

Why is the thread title edited?! :x
The original one was a classic!