Northeast whistle gathering this summer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Would you attend a Northeast/New England meeting?

Yes, probably,if at all possible
47%
Maybe, but depends on date and location
53%

Total votes: 15

Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Every weekend except the 4th weekend and the last weekend I am free what aboutevery one else?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote: I was however thinking of maybe checking out the Old Songs Festival in June, in Altamont...highly speculative, but still a possibility.
Robin
Old Songs is terrific. I've missed the last two years, but I hope to go for at least a day this year.

As of the moment, I'm free all summer except for July 10 where I'm officiating ( ! ) at my niece's wedding
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RamblDoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keep it in New England

Post by RamblDoc »

Where to have the NE Whistle Gathering ??

Living on the South Coast of Maine makes most places outside of New England quite a stretch, though not impossible, for a day trip. Albany would be the outer limit. I think.
Last year's Look Park location was wonderful.
Lloyd
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Bumping it up again...

Is there any real interest in doing this thing? I'd certainly love to see it happen, and I know Slowair would too.
I'm up for anything within 2 hr of Albany, maybe further if it was an an interesting and reasonable area for an overnight-- eg 3r to Boston, NYC or even Montreal.
Got wood?
kdwhistler

Post by kdwhistler »

I would love the opportunity to meet with people who know their way around a whistle and I would be willing to make a long weekend out of it. Is there anyone in the TN, GA, AL area interested in carpooling?

Doyle
slowair

Post by slowair »

Personally, I feel the NE should become New England instead of Northeast. Lloyd is right, folks are pretty spread out in New England and to ask everyone to drive several hours will eliminate many. There are plenty of people from the NYC to Philly area who can get together and only have a few hours tops. So if we're voting, I vote for keeping it in New England.

I can make any weekend except June 5th or July 9th.

If you're interested in going, shout out the dates you can't go and we'll try to narrow things down.

Also, I'm pretty sure Paul Busman will come if available. I hope we can get Walt Sweet to come out. Are there any other makers or retailers within travelling distance to New England?

If there's an interest and we do Look Park again, I can ask the folks from the Button Box to come out with concertinas and such.

Again, if we meet at Look Park and have enough notice, I will invite the Northampton session folks so we can get some real session time going. Or maybe arrange for a session at their pub that night

Anyone have other ideas?

Mike
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I like the pub session idea, but if we have an afternoon gathering in the park, we'd probably have a fair number of hours to kill before the pub thing. Still, Northampton is an interesting town with lots of good places to eat, shop, etc.
Got wood?
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I like the idea of Look Park on a Sunday afternoon. Maybe I can make it this year, otherwise I'll send Gunther again. ;)
/Bloomfield
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Has a tentative date been set yet?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

too hassled ttrying to get it together for a mini-gathering....haven't been able to think ahead to another. I'll try to be there....as long as gunther is coming that is...;)
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tyghress wrote:. I'll try to be there....as long as gunther is coming that is...;)
Yeah, me too. Much nicer than Bloomfield, from what I hear :P
Got wood?
slowair

Post by slowair »

There seems to be interest, so if no one else wants to take charge of putting it together, I'll be happy to do it again. A couple people have given dates that they can't make it, so I'm going to avoid those dates if possible.
If elected by silence or of cheers, I'd like to make this years a little more involved. Here's some thoughts:
!. Have some planned workshop kinda things. Perhaps we could have Paul instruct us on the proper care for wooden instruments. Different oils and storage ideas. Of course I'm sure everyone would like to see and try his new colors of Delrin as well.
2. Perhaps Bloomy or Gunther could show us all how to tweak the cheapies. I'd love to see this guitar pick tweak for a Susato. Not to mention the Feadog body on a Sindt head. It's like being at the circus. And hopefully Jerry could make it this year. He is the King of Tweakdom.
3. Maybe Walt Sweet could come again and pass around his wares. I think I heard him say he should have a Blackwood version of the Pro out sometime soon, so maybe he can have one ready for inspection.
4. If there is interest, I would invite the folks from the Button Box to bring along some boxes and maybe an introduction to concertina and two row accordion.
5. Any other maker or vendor who would like to attend is more than welcome. Just the charge of admission to the park like everyone else. So if you know someone or you are a vendor/maker, please let me know.
6. If I can swing it, and have enough advance time, we can put together a real session in Northampton that night. There are some great players there that meet regularly. If we can convince them to join us, perhaps two or three whistlers at a time can join in. Don't think it would be a great idea to have EVERYONE playing in at once. :)
If anyone else has any ideas, shout them out. If anyone else wants to take charge, feel free.
So I guess I'm suggesting Look Park once again, in Norhampton MA, probably late July, early August. Does this sound good to everyone?
Speak up, this is your event!
Mike
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I'd come if someone can offer me a place to sleep (and provided it doesn't seriously interfere with my finals, which start near the beginning of August)

That said, for me, near the end of August would be best, but end of july would be ok, too, if I've studied enough.

Anyone wanting a lift, then, near the route from Fergus to Niagara Falls/Buffalo to Albany, down to wherever this place is, please contact me!
slowair

Post by slowair »

Wow!

We've got people interested in attending from Ontario, Tennessee and Houston. Maybe we should have an award for the person travelling the furthest.

Mike
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Only if that award is cold hard cash (or gas, food, sleeping place... *ahem*)