Would the 'Old Geezers' have played Low Whistle?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Would the 'Old Geezers' have played Low Whistle?

Post by kevin m. »

I was listening to Packie Manus Byrne playing an Overton low G whistle on the album 'Donegal and back!', and this got me thinking- would any of the old players have used low whistle if given the oppportunity?
O.K.- I know that Micho Russell,for example played Flute (and I expect that the standard answer will be "why would they play Low Whistle,when they could have played Flute?"),and that Willie Clancy play Pipes (would HE have taken to low whistle,like so many U.Pipers have these days?)
Just a bit of idle speculation.
Ideas/comments anyone?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

This is a purely subjective view based on very little experience (all that can be summed up in the word PREJUDICE! :really: ) but you seem to hear quite a few young flash 'arrys playing the low whistle these days (younger than me anyway). Damn good - but SOUL....? Gimme a good ol' breathy flute any day - or just Micho...or Mary Bergin....

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Seems like a lot of the "Geezers" switched from flute to D or C whistle in their old age -- look at all the people pictured with whistles in Trip to Sligo who are listed as playing flute. So it doesn't seem a great stretch to imagine that some of them might have chosen, say, a low F whistle, if a good one had been available.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think it's more useful to look at the reason why older players played the flute: for strength and volume to play at dances. The low whistle would not have been useful for that at all.

Other than that who knows. Traditional musicians are often very practical people. I heard one person once say he didn't like the low whislte 'but the yanks get a great buzz off it' so he played it on tour.
How many serious traditional musicians today do you know who play traditional music on the low whistle (John Wynne is one), that should give some indication.
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

I can't stand the sound of low whistles, new agey "Celtic twilight" sort of sound, very untraditional, should be banned alongside banjos and piano accordions, no balls to speak of, give me the pipes, flute or tin whistle any day.
8)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I don't like that "Celtic twilight" sound at all. But I have to say I have heard some very non-twilight playing from piano accordions.

I have a question. I have some concertina recordings by musicians in Ireland. I had thought that instrument was considered a good one for Irish music. I haven't really been in the situation of comparing the sound of concertinas with piano accordions---too long a time between listenings---but is piano accordion considered to not sound right by purists? It seems to sound good to me. I am thinking of one player in particular, Paddy O'Brien of Minneapolis. I think his accordion has piano keys. It's okay if people don't like it, that won't alter my opinion of his playing. But I am just curious about whether there is a general opinion I was unaware of.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I don't know for sure, but I think it has something to do with volume at a session. Ie, piano accordions can be VERY loud (and hence, very obnoxious). But I have seen pictures of old ceili bands that had piano accordions.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:I don't like that "Celtic twilight" sound at all. But I have to say I have heard some very non-twilight playing from piano accordions.

I have a question. I have some concertina recordings by musicians in Ireland. I had thought that instrument was considered a good one for Irish music. I haven't really been in the situation of comparing the sound of concertinas with piano accordions---too long a time between listenings---but is piano accordion considered to not sound right by purists? It seems to sound good to me. I am thinking of one player in particular, Paddy O'Brien of Minneapolis. I think his accordion has piano keys. It's okay if people don't like it, that won't alter my opinion of his playing. But I am just curious about whether there is a general opinion I was unaware of.
Just to set the record straight, Cynth, Paddy plays B/C button box (don't know what make is his weapon of choice). Nice and liquid-sounding.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh gosh, I am sorry to make that mistake. :oops: Thank you for that correction nano. Now I wonder if I have seen piano accordion playing Irish music. There is a player from Chicago and I thought he played it, but I can't remember his name. Just ignore everything I said!!!!
rh

Post by rh »

Nanohedron wrote:Paddy plays B/C button box (don't know what make is his weapon of choice).
IIRC he plays an old Paolo Soprani.

Jimmy Keane in Chicago plays a PA and he's a fantastic traditional player.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Jimmy Keane in Bohola---that's the fellow! I looked him up and saw a picture of the group and I recognized one of the people. That was quite a concert. The audience wanted, and got, an encore but I really felt it should not have been asked of them. He was obviously really beat from his great efforts. Thanks rh for bringing up his name.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:Oh gosh, I am sorry to make that mistake. :oops:...*snip*...Just ignore everything I said!!!!
Oh, pshaw. :wink:
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Cynth wrote:......but is piano accordion considered to not sound right by purists? It seems to sound good to me.....
It's like any instrument. It's not the instrument, it's the player and his/her attitude. Same with bodhrans. Piano accordions are perfectly capable of being played well and idiomatically (e.g. by Karen Tweed) but, sadly, this is the rare exception rather than the rule. Because of their loud volume they are very intrusive when not played well, which is why morale suddenly sags when an unknown piano accordionist turns up to join in. Same with bodhrans and ~ahem~ harmonicas.... :oops:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
MurphyStout

Post by MurphyStout »

Colomon, what alot of those old dudes did was they switched down to G, F and Eb flutes which are alot less demanding. I can't speculate on whether or not they would play the low whistle but I kinda agree with Peter in regards to dancing. Low whistles just don't cut it.

As far as I know button accordians are better but I've heard some really nice music on piano accordions as well.
No I'm not returning...
djm

Post by djm »

I've also heard some really accomplished piano accordianists, but I just don't care for the sound of most free reed instruments, so it may well depend on the tastes of the listener.

re. flutes versus whistles, I thought the old timers gave up the fulte when they lost their lower front teeth. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.