What's your favorite wood for Pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

How are you honestly going to determine that? Anyway, I would never get a set of pipes that way. :D I would have to get Patrick to get a set for me.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Douglas wrote:How are you honestly going to determine that?
To misquote Tolkien, "Let the pipemaker decide".
Douglas wrote:Anyway, I would never get a set of pipes that way.
Me neither, but it would be fun to watch.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that they'd get the pipes for free. They'd still have to pay for them. They'd just get priority treatment based on their ability :)
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Lorenzo wrote:I believe it was the Reverend Patrick D'Arcy that started the bribe rumors...sending extra $$$$, beer, etc. to your pipemaker to keep him in good cheer.
Em.... WHAT?! :x

I think you may be referring to a post I made in jest a good while ago about keeping your pipemaker happy. Just reminding him that you exist.. .a pleasent prod on occassion. But NOT overdoing it. I think I mentioned bringing gifts when visiting as you do when visiting family... that was what I meant anyway. I like the idea of the people who have made pipes for me becoming a member of my family as I feel like I am babysitting their most prized possession, their children if you will :)
DMQuinn wrote:Would the Reverend Father D'Arcy please submit a full list of the money, alcohol or other items forwarded to K&Q as bribes?
1. One Pair of handcuffs. Official CHP release. (For the nickel)
2. Leather chaps and matching collar and vest (best leather apparently)
3. Frilly lace ladies undies (best thing for polishing he said)
4. Nuns habit (for bag cover, still waiting for that part)
5. A subscription to Skin magazine (I didn't get this one either)

There was other stuff but I just can't think of it all right now.

Fr. Pat.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Patrick, I didn't think your were at the centre of pipemaker bribe alegations :P. I think Lorenzo was taking the mickey out of you :poke:.

Anyway David, give Lancewood (Archidendropisis basaltica) a try sometime. When you make the 4/4 set forward me on the pipes as a promotion. Not many K&Q pipes out this way (fully readed of course) :D. You'd be surprised by the nice sound you get from the sets. EDIT: Thanks jumpder for the correction.

Cheers L42B :)
PS: Prefurably in the key of C.
Last edited by L42B on Tue May 17, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

L42B wrote:I think the wood comes from the redgum gumtrees and I understand that there are quiet a few of those in California.
There's a huge quantity of red gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) in California, where it's just known as Eucalyptus. However, it's not the same tree as Red Lancewood (Archidendropisis basaltica), and it's totally unsuitable for instrument building, because it has a pronounced twist, and is not stable, even after many years of seasoning.

One story has it that Eucalyptus was widely cultivated in California in the 19th century for use as railroad ties, because it's very fast-growing, hard, and requires little water. I have trouble believing that anyone would invest large sums in this project before determining that it's also useless for railroad ties, because of the twisting as it dries out.

It's very oily, and makes great firewood.

Jonathan
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:
Lorenzo wrote:I believe it was the Reverend Patrick D'Arcy that started the bribe rumors...sending extra $$$$, beer, etc. to your pipemaker to keep him in good cheer.
Em.... WHAT?! :x

I think you may be referring to a post I made in jest a good while ago about keeping your pipemaker happy.
Yes! And here it is again: a $1,000 bribe, whiskey, pleading and all...

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... end#328679
My advice is:<ol><li>Find a set of pipes that plays perfectly
<li>Find a set of pipes that turns you on
<li>Find out who made them
<li>Assess whether you are truly worthy of owning such a set; will you ever be able to play them properly?
<li>Think of the children that could excell on such an instrument and become great players
<li>If your answer to #4 is YES then proceed to #7, if not stop now and buy some CD's - send me a check for $1000 in thanks
<li>Contact that maker and plead for all your worth
<li>Offer a pot sweetener of say an extra 1K
<li>Offer good whiskey (make sure the maker isn't in AA first, this can get nasty)
<li>Wipe your eyes and stop sniffling, nobody likes a jessie
<li>Visit them and bring a present
<li>Don't stop until they give you a delivery date
</ol>Patrick.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

That's the one :lol:

PD.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Assess whether you are truly worthy of owning such a set; will you ever be able to play them properly?
The best piece of advice on the list.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... end#328679
<li>Assess whether you are truly worthy of owning such a set; will you ever be able to play them properly?
<li>Think of the children that could excell on such an instrument and become great players
<li>If your answer to #4 is YES then proceed to #7, if not stop now and buy some CD's - send me a check for $1000 in thanks
<li>Offer good whiskey (make sure the maker isn't in AA first, this can get nasty)
</ol>Patrick.[/quote]

Then you get your pipes and find you should have answered NO to number 4 !!!!!

RORY
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

rorybbellows wrote:http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... end#328679
</ol>Patrick.

Then you get your pipes and find you should have answered NO to number 4 !!!!! RORY[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sadly, this happens quite a lot.
PJ

Post by PJ »

Should we start a publicity campaign "Pipes are for life not, just for Christmas"
PJ
L42B

Post by L42B »

Posted by PJ Should we start a publicity campaign "Pipes are for life not, just for Christmas"
I get your drift PJ. Some people come into the local pipeband asking if they could learn the GHB's. After about six months the majority of the pupiles give-up, once they realise how hard it is. I'm sure the Uilleann Pipe world gets a lot of those as well.

Sometimes though the students have to much on their plate and feel bad about giving up the instrument (more time for school/work etc).

Cheers L42B :)