The Great Fnatural Deathmatch

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Great Fnatural Deathmatch

Post by Wormdiet »

If you had to choose between short and long F, and could only get one, which would it be and why?
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I prefer short F - less chance to damage the key compared to a long one and I've found I can do pretty much anything I want with the short F (you can roll your finger with practice for some of the more difficult passages where folks normally use the long F).

My guess is most folks will say long, but didn't Nicholson prefer the short F...which would put me in pretty good company.

Eric
Blackwood

Post by Blackwood »

i suppose it's personal preference, but I find the long f natural to provide better stability in playing especially when quick transitions are required...
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

My pinky finger is too short to reliably hit the long F....

Practise, and a slightly longer touch would do it... but still, I vote short
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

My vote's for the long F; it's really the only one I use. I guess I just haven't ran into an instance where the short key would be easier to use than the long one.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Oooh! I have BOTH!

Clueless about what to do with either of them . . . :-?
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Absolutely, positively the long F. Try going directly from D to F natural without it...
I use my short F key from time to time, but mostly just to remind myself that it's there.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Peggy wrote:Oooh! I have BOTH!

they are there to make the flute look cool. 8)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Jon C. wrote:
Peggy wrote:Oooh! I have BOTH!

they are there to make the flute look cool. 8)

That's why I wanted them . . . that and four more . . . :love:
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Dudette/Dude ~ I think my keyless flutes look "cool" !

I vote for "no" F-key.....

M
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Now I am used to them, I definitely need both. If I would have to sacrifice one key, it would be the Cnat: I have a vintage flute with the Cnat broken and the hole plugged, and I discovered I didn't really need it. But all my friends with keyed flutes tell me it's their favorite key.

Hard to tell what is best for you... :)

And it's true the long F looks cool.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I use the short F most of the time, but as someone pointed out above, there's no way to go cleanly from D to F or F to D without the long F natural key. That's primarily what it's there for, but some people prefer to use it for every instance of F.

If you only could have one, the long F is the one to get -- if you get a short F only, you'll have trouble everytime you try to go from F to D or vice versa.
Last edited by bradhurley on Mon May 16, 2005 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

For Irish music, I actually think the long F is more useful. My reasoning is with a short F you can easily do most intervals except F-nat to D, which is found with some frequency in tunes like Julia Delaney's and the Sunset.

The long F can do the F-nat to D easily.

The interval the long F can't do is F-nat to A-flat--you have to have a short F for that.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any dance tunes that include that interval. There probably are some; I just don't think I play any.

All of that said, I find I use the short F quite a bit more than the long F. About the only time I use the long F is if there is one of those F-nat to D passages.

--James

P.S. Brad, I didn't mean to step on your post--we must have been typing our answers at the same time. --James
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Fnat to D with a short F isn't that hard if you think of it as a slide off the Fnat key. D to Fnat is a slide onto the key.

Then again, maybe I just have freaky fingers... :party:

Eric
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Jayhawk wrote:Fnat to D with a short F isn't that hard if you think of it as a slide off the Fnat key. D to Fnat is a slide onto the key.

Eric
I can do the slide off of the key on any of my flutes pretty well.

The slide onto the key, though--that I can't quite make work on any of them. Then again, my flutes have long-F keys, so I've not spent a lot of time trying.

If you really wanna impress me, play this figure from Eileen Curran at speed with only the short F:

K: Gmin

AFcFdFcF

That rocking pedal is hard enough to do *with* the long F!

--James