US tourism ‘losing billions because of image’

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I or my Canadian friends haven't had any trouble in crossing the border into Detroit, yes there seems to be the paranoid hour by US customs and immigration officers and you never know when that is going to happen, just bide your time, answer all their questions and in most cases 99% of the time your in.

There haven't been any real news items of Canada bashing in the Southwestern Michigan area nor in vice versa in Southwestern Ontario. Our families, friends and economy are so integrated, it is not unheard of to cross the border several times in one day. In the Irish societies/friends I hang around with, international politics and such are very much kept quite, except for the occasional fun dig at something. Besides we meet for a good time rather than a hard time.

What is interesting is, that my sister, who is Director of International Student Registration, has had a whopping increase of inquiries from China, Korea, Japan, Germany, etc for post graduate and doctoral studies and research programs. She could fill the university three times over and it is the same way at all Canadian universities thanks to big part of U.S. Homeland Security new travel/visa/studying restrictions.

Not only is the US losing tourists and their dollars but eventually your primary research universities are losing intelligent students that contribute a lot to your intellectual property in research etc. The States might be losing the manufacturing edge but for now you still have the research/development edge in new technologies etc.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

susnfx wrote:There are few non-Americans who will post to these threads any more, I'm afraid. In the past there have been instances of some folks feeling they were being pelted with Americrap if they dared to post anything seen as critical of the U.S. and its policies.

Susan
Hmm...I can think of two Euro posters who aren't around much anymore. One called the President a chimp and was pelted with Americrap for it because it is and was a fairly low form of discourse. The other was outspoken for secular humanism and was met with Americrap by believers who didn't agree.

Hardly a strong case. There is plenty of domestic crap and it doesn't scare anybody off. Nobody, to my knowlege, is going to get their Eurocar bombed or nose broken for expressing an opinion.

Maybe they just can't stand people who disagree. Congratulations to those who can, it's a hallmark of US culture to fight and die for it to be possible.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Now how in the world did I know you were going to post about this, Weeks? You must have been at work...I've been waiting. ;)

Susan
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

OnTheMoor wrote:However, if I did feel the need to go, stories of Canadian cars getting keyed, Canadians being beaten by American hockey fans and a general hostility towards us in post-9/11 America, reported my Canadian media quite abit, would give me second thoughts.
:-? :-? I haven't heard of any hostility towards Canadians. Jokes about people moving to Canada to escape George Bush, but that's about it.
Bloomfield wrote:I am not so sure about people being put away in France for inciting unrest that easily. But it is my impression also that the European media take particular delight in painting America as wacky, backwards, and dangerous (it doesn't help, of course, that so much in America is zany and easy to poke fun at). That sort of reporting bugs me to no end, and I consider it irresponsible.
I don't really have first-hand knowledge of that, Bloomie. She said that no one would criticize the prime minister on camera, etc. because they would fear being put away. My husband lived in France for a couple of years and he agreed with the general sentiment. Of course, these are just their opinions, and could also be cultural exaggerations.

Anyways, it sounds like some of the same kind of reporting is going on in Canada. :boggle: (of course, I don't feel so comfortable going to Europe right now either...)

Robin
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

The image of the United States from where I sit and watch television (seven US stations), right across the river from Detroit and the news is no better than what you will find if you go looking for it of other countries news images, on this globe. Maybe the Americans are being shunned by some in the world but come January, February and March around here and Florida/Arizona and Texas welcome us Canadians all with open arms and wallets.

Yes bad things happen in America and to travellers in America and it seems that your image may have been hurt but they happen everywhere else too, it's just that you are Americans. Set yourself up to be number one then sure like chickens to corn some one is going to go pecking.

My life long friendships with Americans has shown and been given, that outside of your politics, you are still the most unconditional and generous people in the world. You have a good heart and mean well.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

susnfx wrote:Now how in the world did I know you were going to post about this, Weeks? You must have been at work...I've been waiting. ;)

Susan
Because I haven't had anybody to say "Bush-chimp-theocrat" to anybody for a while, that's why :adminok:
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

OnTheMoor---I have heard of nasty customs agents at the border. But I have never heard any Americans speak unkindly about Canadians. I'm sure there are some that may feel that way, but it must be among some small groups. Please do not be feeling this whole country hates Canada!!!!! Really, that is just not true. I have not even heard it discussed at all!!!!

Last summer in Nova Scotia, people could not have been more polite to us---well, what would you expect. When we hinted that we found our government's actions upsetting, then they did talk about being upset by things and wondered why our government had done certain things. Of course, we could not explain it!
rodfish
antispam: No

Post by rodfish »

J.[/quote]

I have a recurring nightmare in which I go to America and get trapped in an elevator with jgilder and IRtrad....then the lights go out :o

Slan,
D. :lol:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the funniest thing I've read all day!!
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Caj

Post by Caj »

OnTheMoor wrote: I've only really noticed these reports since after Canada refused to go to Iraq, seems like it is a pretty new thing this hatred of Canada (how anyone could have the time to hate Canada is beyond me, you have to be pretty miserable, "bloody Belgians...").
No no, that's just silly. Americans are not going to remember your country's position on Iraq. All they know about Canada is that stores won't accept your pennies.

The one thing you have to remember about the US is that we are barely aware of your existence. We are far less likely to attack your country as we are to accidentally sit on it.

Caj
BigDavy

Visa for America

Post by BigDavy »

Hi

As a non American I had a look at what was expected of me if I wanted to go to America on holiday on the embassy website.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukembabt.html

Have a look at what is required to get a visa, calculate the cost in time and money to someone not living near London or Belfast and you will understand why tourism is not meeting expectations.

When the new regulations were announced the general consensus in the Scottish press was that this would not affect terrorists trying to get into the US as they would be motivated to find a way, but that the British tourist would look at the cost and hassle and go elsewhere. Another common theme was that the regulations would soon be changed when they really started to bite into Florida's tourist income.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Michael Moore planted the seeds for this scare among Canadians. :lol:
Reasonable person
Walden
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Caj wrote:The one thing you have to remember about the US is that we are barely aware of your existence. We are far less likely to attack your country as we are to accidentally sit on it.
:lol: I just had to explain to my daughter why I burst out laughing. Sadly, it lost something in translation. That may be one of the most pathetically true things I've ever read on this board.

Susan
Darwin

Re: US tourism ‘losing billions because of image&a

Post by Darwin »

Walden wrote:
IRTradRU? wrote: I do recall reading a few years' back about a small group of Irish women who were arrested and immediately deported back to Ireland while waiting for a train to take them back to Boston from Chicago... it made me wonder why we can't do the same for all the illegal aliens (9,000,000 + ?) in country, if they're able to find a dozen Irish folks.
Because we don't want to destroy Mexico.
What do you mean "we", White man?

Oops! Sorry... :oops:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

MarkB wrote:What is interesting is, that my sister, who is Director of International Student Registration, has had a whopping increase of inquiries from China, Korea, Japan, Germany, etc for post graduate and doctoral studies and research programs.
They're probably hoping to fill the slots left by all those Democrats who moved to Canada after Bush was elected. :P
Mike Wright

--Goethe
Darwin

Re: Visa for America

Post by Darwin »

BigDavy wrote:Hi

As a non American I had a look at what was expected of me if I wanted to go to America on holiday on the embassy website.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ukembabt.html
I love questions like: "Do you seek to enter the United States to engage in export control violations, subversive or terrorist activities, or any other unlawful purpose? Are you a member or representative of a terrorist organization as currently designated by the U.S. Secretary of State? Have you ever participated in persecutions directed by the Nazi government of Germany; or have you ever participated in genocide?"

I wonder if anyone has ever answered "Yes". :-?
Mike Wright

--Goethe