Spelling of "embouchure"

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
phcook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by phcook »

It is not. :)
Breizh soner
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

http://www.answers.com/topic/embouchure

This has a man saying the word.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Now I'm all conflicted!

Merriam-Webster says it as AHM bush er.

Your website says it as am beh SHURE.

A flutist I used to know pronounced it ARM brusch er. She also agreed that I had the wrong kind of lips to play the flute. Hmpf.

How's it pronounced in France???
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Peggy wrote:How's it pronounced in France???
In France the pronounciation would sound weird to english speaking people...

"Em" has no equivalent in english. It's one of the most difficult diphthong (sorry for that pedantic word). I do not even know any other language that has it, except bretton. The "m" is not heard.

"bou" sounds like "boo"

"chu" is very difficult too, because of the french "u", a sound that is somewhere between "oo" and (english) "e". "ch" sounds like english "sh".

"re" is also difficult because of the french "r". This sound does not exist in english. It is a bit like a vocalised spanish "j". Germans have an "r" that sounds like this.

I thought "écureuil" (squirrel) was the worst french word for english speaking people to pronounce. Well "embouchure" is not bad :)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Matt---
What syllable is the stress on in French?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

When I'm having an off day with the flute, I often just say I've "lost my blow".
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Matt_Paris wrote:

"Em" has no equivalent in english. It's one of the most difficult diphthong (sorry for that pedantic word). I do not even know any other language that has it, except bretton. The "m" is not heard.

"bou" sounds like "boo"

"chu" is very difficult too, because of the french "u", a sound that is somewhere between "oo" and (english) "e". "ch" sounds like english "sh".

"re" is also difficult because of the french "r". This sound does not exist in english. It is a bit like a vocalised spanish "j". Germans have an "r" that sounds like this.

I thought "écureuil" (squirrel) was the worst french word for english speaking people to pronounce. Well "embouchure" is not bad :)
So the French to English pheonetic spelling would be: M-BOO-SH-jrr
I like this spelling better!
Jon
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Cynth wrote:Matt---
What syllable is the stress on in French?
That is a difficult question, and it would be long to answer :)
Actually french unlike italian or spanish is not a "tonal" (not sure of that word) language. It means the stress doesn't fall always at the same syllabe of the word, depending on the sense of the sentence...
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:When I'm having an off day with the flute, I often just say I've "lost my blow".
Uh, I thought that I'd work on my whistle tonight...
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: :lol: Enough said Matt! Thanks.
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Cynth wrote::lol: :lol: Enough said Matt! Thanks.
:wink: Good night. I have to work early tomorrow, and it's late.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Matt_Paris wrote:
)

:really:

Let's try somewhere closer to home . . . how's it pronounced in French in Quebec???

Or Louisiana . . . surely there is a Cajun or two here.

Don't make me go ask my neighbors.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Sorry to disappoint you Peggy but in Quebec the word is pronounced in essentially the same way. The quality of the vowel sound in "em" will usually be slightly different, veering towards a nasalized "a" sound rather than the nasalized "o" which is more typical in France, and the quality of the "u" in "ure" may be different (fuller, deeper is how I would describe it) but this depends on the speaker and the region of France or Québec that they come from.

(The "em" sound is not a diphthong, btw Matt. An example of a dipthong is "I" in English or "ail" in French - a vowel that starts with one sound and finishes with another, in this case "ah" followed by "ee". You can usually detect a diphthong by the reshaping of your mouth cavity during pronunciation.)

As regards tonic accent on syllables, French is the only European language I am familiar with where every syllable is virtually evenly pronounced. There is a tendency to place a slight stress on the final syllable of words, but if this is present it is faint.

More than you really wanted to know, I'm sure.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Not at all. I now know just how bad my French really is! :lol:
Matt_Paris

Post by Matt_Paris »

Yeah, you're right about diphthongs. I tried to remember my old greek courses, and "Em" is not at all a diphthong...

About those nasals "on", "an", "in", I never found any foreigner of any country who could pronounce them correctly. The best ones I knew had just one pronounciation for the three. People from New Caledonia also have just one sound for all of them.

I'd like to know what sounds french speaking people are unable to pronounce correctly. "th" ?