Need some advice - Buddhist Monk Update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Denny wrote:Naw!

The monk has a cell phone with the county office number on speed dial.
He's just waiting for Lorenzo to start messing with things around the pond!

Seriously, as the neighbors have been using the pond for some time, it would be best to be up front about moving the cabin and checking their reaction before doing anything. Being new kid on the block, and wanting to do anything at all questionable, caution is good. The neighbor may be the sister of a county bureaucrat.

Denny
Lorenzo IS a county bureaucrat. He oughta know everyone.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:
Denny wrote:Naw!

The monk has a cell phone with the county office number on speed dial.
He's just waiting for Lorenzo to start messing with things around the pond!

Seriously, as the neighbors have been using the pond for some time, it would be best to be up front about moving the cabin and checking their reaction before doing anything. Being new kid on the block, and wanting to do anything at all questionable, caution is good. The neighbor may be the sister of a county bureaucrat.

Denny
Lorenzo IS a county bureaucrat. He oughta know everyone.
Never mind! Just start the dozers. Oh, and track hoe to move the monk with.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

"Sveta" is not a Japanese name. Most Japanese couldn't even pronounce it. There is a Russian lichen star named Sveta, though...

Japanese and Tibetan Buddhist music both have a certain similarity to the pipes--tortured cows vs. tortured cats. :D

It's as hard to generalize about Buddhist monks as anything else. My first reaction is that anyone who spends that much time meditatiing should be quite able to take anything in stride. Besides, adversity builds character, so you may actually be helping him out.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just entertained the vision of a monk deep in meditation on a pallet being carted away by a forklift. Pretty funny.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Nanohedron wrote:I just entertained the vision of a monk deep in meditation on a pallet being carted away by a forklift. Pretty funny.
It has a certain, ah, well, something!

It seems to me that given the monk is there he should assume it must be to help you... Maybe with the cabin!

Denny
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Lorenzo wrote:I'm just not familiar with what a Buddhist monks needs are for sure. If it's total silence from the outside, or if it means he'd like to be left alone...no one interrupting him. I'm not sure what to do, even working next door...within hearing range. I wonder if deep meditation causes one to not notice the outer world, or if it just means he will just not be able to interact.

There is another project I could do on the lower 40. I think it's out of hearing range, over a small ridge anyway. Still, chainsaws are cruel no matter how close or far. I wear headphones when using them. I mean the ears are totally sealed off. Would a person who meditates considers earplugs?

I love the silence and privacy of the area too, in fact, I thought I would have my place to myself. My problem is that I have only a few months in the summers to do anything...April to November, basically 5-6 months.

I know there's several Buddhist on C&F and I thought maybe someone might know what the monk would be thinking or needing in terms of space and silence. I understand he's come up from L.A., and has only been in this country for a year or so.
Buddhist Monks tend to be pretty good at communication... I'd talk to him about it. He'll no doubt be quite honest with you and it could be quite enlightening.

On the one hand, it *is* you land... on the other... what is land that a man should own it over the appreciation of of a Buddhist Monk's meditations?

Tough call.

I'm impressed that you are thinking so deeply about it. Arou nd my neck of the woods, they'd have called the sheriff and had him removed. :o

My own response woulkd probably be to join him in meditation and discussion whenever he would allow.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

fearfaoin wrote:Seriously, it's entirely possible that you were meant to be a distraction for the monk to strengthen
or test him. Who knows? The only thing to do is talk to the monk about your plans, and then
go on with your life. You will probably find that he is very receptive to your needs.
Budhism is a very "take it as it comes" sort of religion.
Thanks for TM info fearfaoin. It's been mentioned a couple of times that I might be good for him, so I'll keep that in mind. :wink: But I seriously doubt that! I like it when things work both ways though. Maybe when the opportunity presents itself, I'll ask him for some help, or for an answer to one of life's perplexing questions. You're probably right, I may be taking this too serious. He did metion though that he came here because it was so quiet. That automatically sets me up to think about complying. But like Weeks was implying, I've gotta live my life too, but just not carelessly.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Lorenzo, this sounds like just the kind of story that Robert Redford would make into a movie... and I mean that in a nice way.
Good ideas Joseph, and you're right, it's like out of a stroybook, or movie. Let's hope there's not too much drama. He could be a real charater...we could tie friendship knot, and if he's into Zen, maybe he'll share with me some conundra.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Bloomfield wrote:What I can't get over is, why does he need the peace and quiet? Being in nature, fine, I see that.

As for the noise and smell of construction, I think he should deal with it. Meditation in its essence is the ability to not be distracted. The point is not to sit where there are not distractions but rather to master the mind so as not to be distracted. Work (especially the work of others) is a fine thing to observe and meditate on.
Those are the kind of thoughts that initially prompted my question. I'm not familiar with the needs of Buddhist meditaions. I don't want to take a chance on ruining any good karma he might have found up there. But, after hearing from people here, I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of doing what I need to do, and feeling more sure that he won't mind.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Nanohedron wrote:It's Lorenzo assuming the monk needs the peace and quiet, which is commendable but unlikely. If the monk needs peace and quiet, he's got some work to do.
I think I mentioned a couple of times that he told me he was here for the quietness of the place. Like I said above, it really sets a person up to be told that. And in that case, I'm more likely to comply.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Denny wrote:The monk has a cell phone with the county office number on speed dial. He's just waiting for Lorenzo to start messing with things around the pond!

Write on! And it may be that the land owner, who's coming up this summer, may have the phone in her hand when I start messing around with relocating an old cabin beside her favorite meditation spot. I'm thinking she told him where that spot was at. It's not that easy to find...even if you're close.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Nanohedron wrote:Lorenzo IS a county bureaucrat. He oughta know everyone.
As luck would have it, I do know the county planner fairly well. We've a common best friend, and we party in the same circles.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Darwin wrote:"Sveta" is not a Japanese name. Most Japanese couldn't even pronounce it. There is a Russian lichen star named Sveta, though...

Japanese and Tibetan Buddhist music both have a certain similarity to the pipes--tortured cows vs. tortured cats. :D

It's as hard to generalize about Buddhist monks as anything else. My first reaction is that anyone who spends that much time meditatiing should be quite able to take anything in stride. Besides, adversity builds character, so you may actually be helping him out.
Thanks for that Mike, I think you've got a good point. And, that name might be an adopted name...kind of like the pope's new name. I was looking it up on the web because I felt this monk might be pretty well known, but could find nothing similar to him.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

anniemcu wrote:On the one hand, it *is* you(r) land... on the other... what is land that a man should own it over the appreciation of of a Buddhist Monk's meditations?
That's why I didn't answer him directly when he asked if it was okay to go to the pond for meditation. I wanted to be cautious and think about it first...he might become valuable to me.
I'm impressed that you are thinking so deeply about it. Around my neck of the woods, they'd have called the sheriff and had him removed. :o
Thanks, I couldn't really help it though; it is quite unusual to find a Buddhist monk at your pond! Special situations require special considerations.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Lorenzo wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It's Lorenzo assuming the monk needs the peace and quiet, which is commendable but unlikely. If the monk needs peace and quiet, he's got some work to do.
I think I mentioned a couple of times that he told me he was here for the quietness of the place. Like I said above, it really sets a person up to be told that. And in that case, I'm more likely to comply.
It only sets you up if your underlying assumptions predispose you to being set up.

Sure, he likes the quiet. You like the quiet. I'd like the quiet, and I've practically got my bags packed just thinking about it. (Darn JOB!)

But, that doesn't mean it has to be silent all the time.

On the other hand, why do you NEED earth movers and front loaders??? Are you planning on destroying half the countryside getting them up there? Chainsawing down half the trees? Terrorizing the wildlife in the process? Exterminating three species of rare newts and the last remaining nesting pair of woodpeckers in the county? Causing sonic vibrations that will so disrupt the waterfowls' brain waves that they'll forget to migrate in the fall and will all freeze to death? Creating bad drainage patterns that will kill off the pond?

The ramifications are really quite remarkable. Not to mention the stench of gasoline fumes. Phew!

Shoot, I'd just chum up with the guy. Bring him some good fruit. Invite him over for a vegetarian dinner. Be nice. Express appreciation that he's there adding good vibes to the place. Bambi probably loves him already.

Ask if he likes music. You never know, he might play flute himself. I sincerely doubt if he'll dislike yours. He'll probably think pipes are intensely cool.

And while you're at it, tell him about how happy you are to have been able to buy the land. What a blessing it is for you. Show him where you want to move the cabin. Ask his opinion about it. Mention that you were hoping to get it done by August, but you're not sure . . . it's so much work, but you need to live in it while you build the big house.

Maybe he'll volunteer to help you. He's a monk, after all. They're real normal. They're usually in pretty good shape and they often do cool things like manual labor. (Didn't you ever watch Kung Fu???)

Wax on, wax off. :wink:

At the very least, ask him to keep an ear out for screams for help, so that when you cut your arm off with your infernal chainsaw, he can rush over with a tourniquet. :twisted:

Meditation is catching, by the way.