Snake Handlers still alive in Appalachian Churches

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Snake Handlers still alive in Appalachian Churches

Post by Lorenzo »

Nano's picture of the lady with the snake hairdoo (from the outrageous hair thread) reminded me of this.

Did anyone watch that documentary on TV last night about snake handling and Appalachian Christians, esp those in Alabama. Quite stirring it was. The reporter actually became a convert at one point and confirmed the experince was exhilarating. People were dancing and singing Appalachian hymns, praying, speaking in tonges...the whole works. Missing teeth and all. Rattlers, Water Moccasins, and more. Some had actually died from snake bites because the Lord wasn't in their life.

I'm telling you folks, you've got to try this. Change churches, just vist, or do whatever it takes, there's nothing like it. It looks totally out of this world. http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia. ... nakes.html

National Geographic had an article on it a couple years ago.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... dlers.html

Dennis Covington wrote a book about his experience with it called, Salvation on Sand Mountain.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 4?v=glance
Jack

Post by Jack »

Is this supposed to be news?

Many people whom I know very well are snake handlers.

In fact, I go to school with some of them and I know of at least 2 churches that handle snakes. Others probably do, too, but it's so commonplace around here I don't really take note of how many handle serpents and how many don't.

I didn't know that they were thought to be extinct?

edit--I just read over the articles. It's so weird seeing serpent handlers written about like they're some kind of a strange cult. I've known them my whole life. They're not different from any other people. :-?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Not different...

except for the fact that they play with venomous animals.

o.O
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I appreciate Cranberry's post about this. I've read three books now on snake handling Christians and I've seen a couple of good documentaries. Every religious group, including my own, has its share of strange people, insincere people, abusive people, etc. The better accounts I've read on snake handling worship communities (see, for example, The Serpent Handlers: Three Families and Their Faith by Fred Brown, Jeanne McDonald) have lead me to believe that there is much to respect and admire in many of these people. Theologically, the difficulty I have is that these people risk (and often suffer) pain, disability, and death from the snake-handling and self-poisoning, and all because of a literal reading of a disputed, problematic, and short passage of the Gospel of Mark. I guess I'm just saying that I don't believe what they believe about the grace in taking up serpents and drinking poison and I hate it that many have suffered so much because of the insistence on it. But someone would argue that is true, in some sense, about most religious convictions and practices. It's just all the more vivid and immediate when we're talking about people dying of snake bites. (It may be true--I do think it's true--that snake handlers aren't bitten as much as one would think, but it does happen. Many snake handlers are bitten and many have died.)

But it helped me a great deal to read the narratives of these people. Many are people I'd be proud to know, sit and talk with, and share a meal with. And I wouldn't hesitate for a second to ask them to pray for me.
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's not really "playing", though. It's more or less "I will hold these serpents because I have faith in Christ and I know he will protect me" sort of thing. I don't think they should be capturing wild animals and holding them and distressing them, period, but it's really not any crazier than the rituals of any other churches.

In fact, their snake holding makes more logical sense than Catholics' communion, I think.

I can't remember a single person ever dying, but I know people who have been bitten.

Some of the people who go to one of the churches have the same last name as me, so we're probably related somewhere down the line.

edited to add that my reply was to TelegramSam. Dale replied while I was typing. :P
Last edited by Jack on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Dennis Covington, by the way, is from here in Birmingham and I read his book before it was published. It's not the best book on the subject, but his personal involvement makes for an interesting read. Not to spoil it, but Dennis takes up serpents himself before it's over--he gets genuinely involved in the service--and lives to tell about it.
Jack

Post by Jack »

You know, when I think about it, I have held serpents before, but it wasn't in the same spiritual context. I just held them because they're pretty.

Snakes are not as scarey or evil as people think. They're no more dangerous than any wild animal.

I think if these people held other animals, say turtles or lizards, they wouldn't even be subject to "studies" like this. Mabey it's just because people don't like snakes?
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote: In fact, their snake holding makes more logical sense than Catholics' communion, I think.
Much of religious faith, including Catholic communion, the doctrine of the Trinity, among others, doesn't make any logical sense. Theology is sometimes logical but I'm not sure faith is. But, anyway...
Cranberry wrote:I can't remember a single person ever dying, but I know people who have been bitten.
The book I cited above tells of several that died, including some that were some of the best known serpent-handlers. Some of the people in the book that were quoted were the relatives and spouses of some that had died.

I wish I could put my hands on my copy of the book because there's a quote in there I was moved by, but I'm not sure I can do it justice. One of the more experienced handlers was trying to deal with what he perceives as a misconception that if your faith is strong enough, you'll survive and if you don't survive (or are bitten and hurt) that is evidence of insufficient faith. The crux of his point was that if you take up serpents and aren't bitten, that is faith. But, if you take up serpents and are bitten, even if you die, that is faith as well. Not being a part of it, I don't understnd it, but I was moved by that. I think that the idea was that the expression of faith is in the taking up of serpents and NOT in the outcome.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote:You know, when I think about it, I have held serpents before, but it wasn't in the same spiritual context. I just held them because they're pretty.

Snakes are not as scarey or evil as people think. They're no more dangerous than any wild animal.

I think if these people held other animals, say turtles or lizards, they wouldn't even be subject to "studies" like this. Mabey it's just because people don't like snakes?
Well, no, I don't think so. What distinguishes a rattlesnake from a turtle or lizard is that if you pick up a turtle or a lizard there's not a chance that you'll die as a result.

I don't think snakes are evil. I just note the fact that some of them can bite you and inject toxins into your system that can ruin your whole day.

There was a guy in Tuscaloosa, about 50 minutes from Birmingham, that had pet vipers and got bit in the hand by one while feeding him a rat. Happened maybe 8 years ago. Bummer. So he goes to the hospital in Tuscaloosa and the first doctor that sees him says, Dude, antivenoms are specific to the species of snake. We SO don't have cobras in Tuskaloosa County, so we don't have any cobra antivenom. You're screwed. (I'm paraphrasing here.) Another doc picks up the phone and calls the Birmingham Zoo. Learns that have that same kind of cobra chilling at the zoo. So, accordingly, they had cobra antivenom on hand. Choppered it to Tuscaloosa. Saved the guy. Eeesh. Pet cobras!
Last edited by Dale on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'm not talking about book knowledge or abstract studies, I mean real people. Of all the people I know who handle snakes, I can't remember a single one who has ever died in my lifetime.

Mabey they really do have a strong enough faith or are just lucky or something, though.

I agree with the actual holding of serpents being the main thing. It doesn't seem like whether or not you get bitten is the main issue.

I am pretty sure my New Testament instructor comes from one of those churches. I will ask him next week.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote:I'm not talking about book knowledge or abstract studies, I mean real people.
No, I understand. But these dead guys were evidently real people with names and families and stuff. But, I understand what you're saying. In your circles you didn't know any that died.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:
Cranberry wrote:You know, when I think about it, I have held serpents before, but it wasn't in the same spiritual context. I just held them because they're pretty.

Well, no, I don't think so. What distinguishes a rattlesnake from a turtle or lizard is that if you pick up a turtle or a lizard there's not a chance that you'll die as a result.

I don't think snakes are evil. I just note the fact that some of them can bite you and inject toxins into your system that can ruin your whole day.

There was a guy in Tuscaloosa, about 50 minutes from Birmingham, that had pet vipers and got bit in the hand by one while feeding him a rat. Happened maybe 8 years ago. Bummer. So he goes to the hospital in Tuscaloosa and the first doctor that sees him says, Dude, antivenoms are specific to the species of snake. We SO don't have cobras in Tuskaloosa County, so we don't have any cobra antivenom. You're screwed. (I'm paraphrasing here.) Another doc picks up the phone and calls the Birmingham Zoo. Learns that have that same kind of cobra chilling at the zoo. So, accordingly, they had cobra antivenom on hand. Choppered it to Tuscaloosa. Saved the guy. Eeesh. Pet cobras!
But these snakes are not pets. They're the same as a Catholic's Holy Water. If you pour Holy Water up your nose, you can die, too.
rebelpiper

Post by rebelpiper »

lorenzo.....i grew up in a very reserved church environment but on many occassions have attended more rural churches here in alabama. ive never seen any snake handling but i have seen lots of other things that kind of freaked me out. im not saying anything negative about my experience but the spirit can move people to do things that i wouldnt do.

on the other hand i guess i could have more faith...that is one of my struggles.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Cranberry wrote: But these snakes are not pets. They're the same as a Catholic's Holy Water. If you pour Holy Water up your nose, you can die, too.
You're so right. But the one time I tried that....I LIVED !
missy

Post by missy »

I, in no way, mean this as derogatory - although it may sound like it in typing........

I have a problem with things like snake handling in that it almost seems that one is "tempting" God when doing it. Having faith in God, at least to me, is not the same as saying "hey God - look - I have such faith in You that I just know that you will keep me safe, even though I'm doing something really unsafe".
Doing something unsafe - but "good" - say working with disease, is one thing. But putting oneself in a completely unsafe position for the express purpose of proving "faith" just doesn't make sense to me.

But - on the other hand, if that is what they want to do to worship, that's their perogative..........

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com