April showers?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

April showers?

Post by izzarina »

Here in my neck of the woods, we're having showers, but NOT rain showers. SNOW showers! I'm not the photographer that Darwin is, but here's a picture of the massive lilac bush across the street from me (taken out my front window). As you can see, it's almost in full bloom, and if you look carefully, you can see the snow coming down.

It's actually been snowing all day, but none of has stuck, thankfully!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: It's not fair! I can definitely see the snow. It got down to 30 here last night. People were worried that the tulip display in a nearby town (a huge and beautiful display and the town's main income for the year) would be ruined for their festival, but I think no damage was done. It is beautiful here now, just a bit chilly.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Good gravy. I sure don't need snow. It was chilly here in the mid-Atlantic today though. I put my longjohns back on for the first time in a couple weeks.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Snowed late last night and most of today; about an inch of it stuck to everything but the roads. Hard freeze warning tonight. I wouldn't want to try to make a living as a farmer hereabouts (well, with each successive year, fewer of them do, either).
Jack

Post by Jack »

I feel thy pain. I planted zinnias three days ago. They were just sprouting.

Oops.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It was 76 and sunny in Spokane today.

But before everyone lynches me, I'd like to add that so far this year (since January 1) we have only had 4.01 inches of precipitation, and our normal is 5.84, so we are still below average. The maple trees are blooming, though, so that usually means we'll have some rain just as all the blossoms fall - which makes a yellow mess on the sidewalk.

Still, it's going to be a dry year. We only got about half our usual snowfall this winter. By the time we go into our usual dry spell between July 10 and the first week of Sept. we'll be ripe for all kinds of fires.

Last week I planted potatoes, beans, carrots, lettuce, and radishes. Didn't have any pea seeds. Bought some, but haven't had time to get them in yet. I'm tempted to plant tomatoes but it's way too early yet, we could still get frost. Still too early for most annuals too, although the store I work at is selling tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds already. I heard one of the managers say she hopes people DO go ahead and plant, then they'll have to come back and buy more when we get frost.
Charlene
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cool picture Izz!

Too bad it didn't stick. (From a purely artistic viewpoint, of course.)

We missed the mid-December snow here, but I'm sure we'll catch some next year. It's been about 23-24 years since I've seen snow live--up in the Tacoma, WA area. (Ft. Lewis, really.)

We did get a bit of rain today, though.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We got a couple of inches of the heavy wet type. It melted off the grass slowly throughout the day.

I've been griping about the lack of rain so I guess I'll have to accept any precipitation however it comes.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Darwin wrote:Too bad it didn't stick. (From a purely artistic viewpoint, of course.)
I actually spoke too soon. It did end up sticking, although when the sun decided to pretend to come out this morning, all the snow melted in terror. But by the time it was sticking, it was too dark to take a good picture anyway. :)

When we were in the Army, our first post was Fr. Bliss, El Paso. I was kind of excited to go through a winter without snow, since I'm a northern girl and ALWAYS had snow. Turned out that the year we were there, they got almost an inch of snow. So much for a snowless winter! ;)
We also were at Fr. Lewis, and I always had to laugh about how when the first snowflake hit the ground, the entire city of Seattle closed down. :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Yesterday morning I woke up and looked out the window and could have sworn I was still dreaming.

Not just some snow... All the grass was covered (no green at all)

And it is only south central Ontario here!
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

With the snaining (snow+rain) we got this past weekend, on Saturday alone Environment Canada stated that Windsor got 16 centimetres of snow and 11.2 mm of rain. On Sunday we got 17 mm of meltwater, if 17 mm was included for the total weekend we would have gotten 33 centimetres of snow!

That means a total of 232.6 centimetres of snow for the winter season, an all time high for the Banana Belt of Canada, even got more snow than London Ontario which is in the snow belt.

Today the sun is out, the sky is blue and it is 50 degrees! without a trace of snow.

MakrB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I haven't heard of "snain" since we moved from Michigan! My father was stationed at Selfridge Air Force Base, and one of the Detroit forecasters (I think his name was Sonny Elliot) used to use that phrase!

It's 78 here at 5:45 pm.

But they are predicting a cold front by Wednesday.
Charlene
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

That's were I remember the word from (snain), good old Sonny Idiot..Elliot! I knew I didn't coin the word but for the life of me I couldn't remember were I heard it. Thanks for the memories!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

izzarina wrote:We also were at Fr. Lewis, and I always had to laugh about how when the first snowflake hit the ground, the entire city of Seattle closed down. :lol:
We were at Ft. Lewis (1980-82), and driving on a freeway after the first little snowfall was pretty interesting. There were all these cars that had apparently spun about 120 degrees and then slid backwards off the road, pointing back he way they had come. Fortunately, I still had chains in the car from having been in Tokyo a year or two before, so I put them on as soon as the snow started.

(What was more fun was driving through the hills to Yakima Firing Center during a real blizzard, in jeeps with trailers and a variety of Army trucks. Even with chains, some of the vehicles went off the road.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My great grandmother, out in the west end of the state, said it got down to 34 there, yesterday morning.
Reasonable person
Walden