Best whistle to leave in the car - on purpose

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Best whistle to leave in the car - on purpose

Post by dfernandez77 »

I recently purchased a high D <a href="http://www.thinweasel.com/">water weasel</a>. I satisfied a couple needs:
1. The need to resolve a nagging curiosity concerning how a PVC pipe massaged into a whistle would sound;
2. The need for an indestructible whistle to leave in my car so I will have something to play at red lights.

Well, I'm really impressed with this whistle's playability, and easy fingering, and it doesn't slip out of my hands like my shiny aluminum Burkes might on quick transitions from driving to red light whistling.

And so very cool! I have no fear of it being warped by baking in the hot car, I can use it to bang a beat on my steering wheel without fear of damaging it when I actually need one hand to drive.

The down side? It's loud. Not in an obnoxious way mind you - it's just got a robust voice. I'm glad the interior on my XC70 soaks up some of the decibels.

So, what's your favorite whistle to leave in the car, take on a camping trip, toss in a backpack on a hike, or drop kick - the one to abuse and use?

Oh yeah, one more question. Does anyone know what whistle Joanie Madden uses in A Whistle on the Wind for Marcus Hernon's Air?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I love the water weasel whistles.

Susatos are good for leaving in the car. The plastic is so thick and hard, it's almost impossible to melt. They're also good for traveling with, too, since they're so solidly made. But they sound like recorders. :P
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Unless you're planning on leaving it on the dashboard instead of the glovebox, any of the cheapies work quite well.

I usually carry a self-tweeked Generation and a Feadog in in my car's glovebox, and a Cooperman plastic fife under the seat (*that* doesn't get played in the car, though!).

I don't leave my more expensive whistles out there, though. And I never leave ANYTHING on the dash; I remember leaving a plastic slide rule on the dash back when I was in High School and coming back to find and object that belonged in a Dali painting. :boggle:
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

An aluminum Syn would work quite well. Heavy duty aluminum tube and everything else is delrin. No melting going on with this whistle. Besides, it sounds good too. :D
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Waltons LBW and Oak both in D
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Serpent Village Smithy -- one-piece chrome-molybdnum steel, hard white-plastic fipple plug

In an emergency, you can use it to pry open the trunk or kill a rattlesnake in the passenger seat.

Regarding Delrin mouthpieces, the note that came with the Humphrey Stealth says not to leave the whistle in direct sunlight, like on the dashboard, because the Delrin can warp.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

2-piece Clare with a Hoover whitecap. I keep it in an eyeglass case in the center console. It can be played quietly enough to not make you deaf.
Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

AngeloMeola wrote:It can be played quietly enough to not make you deaf.
Angelo
I know what you mean. I stay away from anything high in the second octave in the car. :boggle:
Daniel

dfernandez77

Post by dfernandez77 »

Darwin wrote:In an emergency, you can use it to pry open the trunk or kill a rattlesnake in the passenger seat.
Umm...
You keep rattlesnakes in your passenger seat. I think I'd be too nervous to whistle if I did that.
Daniel

scotta

Post by scotta »

I leave a Dixon high D, non-tuneable PVC in the car and it survives Minnesota cold winters and hot summers without any problems.

For trips I either take my Busman Delrin or Laughing collapsable.
Scott
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

These days the car has a feadog brass body with a hoover white cap.
billw

It was hard to decide

Post by billw »

I carry a McHaffie with the adjustable fipple - I can set it to be quiet enough for residential, or blast it when I'm in the heavy stuff!

Surely you didn't think I was going to say... :roll:

Cheers,
Bill Whedon
Serpent Music
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Darwin wrote:Regarding Delrin mouthpieces, the note that came with the Humphrey Stealth says not to leave the whistle in direct sunlight, like on the dashboard, because the Delrin can warp.
The manufacturer of the acetal I use for my mouthpieces claims a melting point of 160 - 172 C. / 320 - 342 F.
I'm not sure a dashboard would ever get quite that hot, but it's a pretty safe bet that thin pieces of acetal would soften and warp at a lower temperature than the melting point... and I say 'better safe than sorry'! ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
markbell

Post by markbell »

Meg.

I hardly ever get to finish a song anyway. If it falls out the car door and gets run over, I'm only out $3. If I get frustrated with a song that I did finish, and fling it out the window, I'm only out $3.

I have just started driving an old pickup truck with an automatic transmission. It gives me another second or two than when I had to put the car into gear when the light changed. Also, I use the hole where the radio used to be in the dashboard for my sunglasses and a whistle. :D
sibilo ergo sum
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I left a Generation Brass D on the dashboard once while I dashed into the grocery store for a quick milk and bread run. It was a hot Kansas August day, but I was only gone a couple of minutes, and I left the window down. When I got back and checked the dashboard, there were two more Generation Ds and a Walton's LBW. Now I lock the car.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow