Habemus papam

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Cayden

Habemus papam

Post by Cayden »

White smoke, lads :D
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Oh, I guess I'll turn on the TV. I would like to see him come out and greet the people.

Oh, say, Peter, I just got the CD you recommended. I haven't had a chance to play it but the booklet with it is great. The songs are translated absolutely literally, including repeats and all, so you can tell just exactly what word in Irish is what word in English. This is exactly what I want in a translation. It seems like a great deal to me. 20 Euros my husband said was like $26 or something which is darn cheap for 2 CD's and a huge amount of explanatory information. Thanks for the tip!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The stack's first black is white,
Her early hue is bright .
The first puff shows her power;
But only so an hour.
Then puff subsides to puff.
And white turn into gray,
Then gray will go away.
The white just couldn't stay.

(we're getting mixed signals) :wink:
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I just heard that it's Ratzinger. I'll refrain from comment.
/Bloomfield
missy

Post by missy »

Pope Benedict XVI - Cardinal Ratzinger from Germany

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

missy wrote:Pope Benedict XVI - Cardinal Ratzinger from Germany

Missy
Long may he live.
:)
IRTradRU?
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

missy wrote:Pope Benedict XVI - Cardinal Ratzinger from Germany

Missy

Wow! Really?!?! That's big news! Was gonna lurk around here some more, but gotta go check the news and call the hubby now!

:) Sara

PS: BTW.... Why is it that they rename the pope? The previous pope wasn't christened John Paul and Cardinal Ratzinger is now to be known as Pope Benedict XVI... and how do they come to deciding what that new name (like Benedict XVI, etc.) will be?
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

The new pope has used a chosen name since John II in 533, who thought his given name of Mercury unsuitable. Maybe sounded a little too mercurial. Name changing is fun. Try it. At least he didn't choose Lorenzo, thank God. But he did choose that of another uilleann piper - Benedict K.

I see the conservatives won. Dale won't like that. All but two of the 115 college members were appointed by John Paul, and he was careful to select cardinals likely to carry on his own conservative ways.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism,"
Joseph Ratzinger (4/18/2005)

I'm not so sure that more fundementalism is going to help the church. In my view Islamic, Christian and Jewish fundamentalism aren't doing much to help the world unless you're an Islamic, Christian or Jewish fundamentalist. Sort of like the previous pope, but more hard line and without the charm and charisma. Oh well.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I know nothing about the Catholic Church, but they said on the news that he had tried to retire several times but wasn't allowed to. Can you imagine being a 78 year old man who wanted to retire finding out that you now get to be the Pope? What a great novel that could be. I suppose he knew it was coming and all, but I still feel sorry for him. I'm sure there are things involved that I don't know about----so no offense given to anyone I hope.
IRTradRU?

Post by IRTradRU? »

"The fact that the Lord can work and act even with insufficient means consoles me, and above all I entrust myself to your prayers. I entrust myself to your prayers."

-- Pope Benedict XVI
Apriil 19, 2005
IRTradRU?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

dwinterfield wrote:
"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism,"
Joseph Ratzinger (4/18/2005)

I'm not so sure that more fundementalism is going to help the church. In my view Islamic, Christian and Jewish fundamentalism aren't doing much to help the world unless you're an Islamic, Christian or Jewish fundamentalist. Sort of like the previous pope, but more hard line and without the charm and charisma. Oh well.
Although Pope John Paul was socially conservative to a degree that alarmed my liberal Catholic relatives and friends, he held many views that not all conservatives would approve and acted accordingly. He was opposed to war including the current one in Iraq. He reached out to the worlds Jews and Muslims as no Pope before had done.

Cardinal Ratzinger's most recent job required that he police doctrine fairly sternly. His role wasn't pastoral. He now has a new job (obviously.) We'll have to wait and see how he approaches it. I wouldn't expect reforms that would really please liberals. But I would expect a more sympathetic understanding of Western humanism than the last Pope displayed. Obviously, we'll have to wait and see.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

As a progressive/reformer-type Catholic, I can't say that I'm thrilled (or surprised) at this election. But, I am going to avoid catastrophizing over it and, for that matter, taking time to look up the spelling of "catastrophizing."

Sometimes these guys get into office and surprise us. Plus, he's 78.

Choice of the name Benedict is very interesting.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

WOW.

That's about all I am going to say for fear of giving offense.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

A new Bishop of Rome.

I was at my grandparents' house during the proceedings. My grandmother was disappointed she didn't get to see all of The Price is Right. I guess Bob will have to wait another day.

A good deal of his message, as reported in the press, resounded with me, though I suppose, in the eyes of the Vatican, I am of the separated brethren.
Reasonable person
Walden