And with minutes to spare... 2004 taxes done.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

When did you file?

As soon as I got the forms
35%
Before April 15
30%
On April 15, but before you
15%
With only -seconds- to spare
No votes
I filed an extension!
20%

Total votes: 20

ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

And with minutes to spare... 2004 taxes done.

Post by ChrisA »

I've just pressed submit over at turbotax.com. My clock read 11:56 at the time.
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

When I was single I'd have the EZ form done as soon as I got my W2. But since I've been married I have to wait for my husband to get all his paperwork filled out. He owns a used book store, so he has Schedule C and Schedule SE to fill out. Plus part of the building is rented to a barber, so there's whatever the form is for rental income. Plus when my parents died I sold their house through an escrow company, so I'm getting payments every month and THAT has to go on a form.

At first we did it the old fashioned way all on paper. Then we used Turbo Tax for a few years. Last year my husband worked for H&R Block, so we did it through them for free. This year we did it on line through H&R Block. Since I wasn't working last year we actually get a refund this time. Which is going to be used to pay the property taxes on our house and store. :sniffle:
Charlene
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You're a braver man than I am, Chris. If I got to 11:56, the electricity would go out.

As it is, got my extension mailed off today at 12:30 p.m.
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Due to a period of unemployment, I filed a 1040EZ this year, but that'll probably be the
last one ever... hopefully, at least. Next year I'll have 401K contributions and maybe
some other investments to account for. Still... listing to your story, Charlene, maybe
I'll count my 1040 and schedule B as blessedly simple...

Peggy, good move, that's three more months of procrastination time you've earned! Good work! ;)
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Ooh, my federal refund came in today, that means I can send off my amendment for the minor goof I made. :D

So mine aren't done yet, but the legal obligations are filled ;)
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Having TurboTax, I normally file mine as soon as all the forms come in, but moving to Texas slowed down my taxes. :P
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, I can relate :P
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Taxes! Yuck! :moreevil:

We pay for someone to do them up for us just as soon as all or papers come in. It's worth the money to us to not have to try to translate IRS-ease into basic English and know that it was done right. Saves a lot of stress and hassle. Have had our return back for a month now... which immediately went into paying off bills.

11:56? :boggle: Four minutes to spare? You're either the king of procrastination or you enjoy living on the edge... or something.....

Happy returns!

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Charlene, I love your avatar! I have a lovely watercolor of that exact same view hanging in my bedroom. I worked at Riverfront Park, you know, in the popcorn wagons, when I was in high school.

We always do our taxes via TurboTax as soon as all the forms are in and e-file so we can bank the refund right away. Ours aren't too difficult, though...with only one income and no mortgage, it's all pretty straightforward.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

Sunnywindo wrote: 11:56? :boggle: Four minutes to spare? You're either the king of procrastination or you enjoy living on the edge... or something.....
Yes, indeed, thank you, I'm quite proud of my procrastinating talents. ;) Not perfect yet,
though, as sometimes I actually miss deadlines. That's a failure, of course... the goal of a
successful procrastination is to put it off as long as possible -without- adverse effects. ;)

Though the taxes are really not dangerous... I've found if you include a polite note saying,
"Sorry I missed the deadline, please inform me of any adjustments for late filing that may be
necessary," that they will just send you your check or your receipt for your check, depending
on which way it fell out, and that's that.

Happy returns!

:) Sara
Thank you. ;)
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Once, I was one of the fools in line at the main post office here waiting to drop my forms off before midnight. Now I just wait until the day.

Actually, I wussed on putting my medical records together. We hosted a big conference last week (WOCA - World of Coal Ash. Well, it's big for us, anyway) and I just procrastinated a bit too much. I'm getting a refund with Telefile anyway, so I figured I could file an amended form later if the expenses worked out in my favor

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
Caj

Post by Caj »

I got the federal done early (got the refund last week,) and states on 4/15.

I used to be an IL resident going to school in NJ and doing summer internships in CA. State taxes were a royal pain in the kiesteroo, but as of last year I finally finished. Now my entire life takes place in one state. Whee!

Caj
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Random notes wrote:Once, I was one of the fools in line at the main post office here waiting to drop my forms off before midnight. Now I just wait until the day.
My father loved that line! He'd save the return for weeks waiting for April 15. Mom would pack a picnic dinner and off we'd go. They always had entertainment, but most of the fun was watching all the bad behavior of other people. I think Dad thought I needed to see this as an example of what not to become when I grew up.

I've been in that line here, too. There have been bands occasionally, if the weather was nice, but they always have at least a DJ. Lots of sports mascots, journalists, and local celebrities. People handing out free samples and others collecting for charities. Sidewalk food vendors, too. Sometimes, the T-back weenie women set up in parking lots nearby, providing a bit of entertainment of their own.

A tradition sadly on the decline with the current price of gasoline and the ease of e-filing. :cry:
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

One year I took the T into the city and then took a cab to the central post office...
that was an amazing mass of people, and it was certainly more challenging to procrastinate
into the 11th hour when you had to get to a physical building!

(I think, actually, I filed no later than 10:30 that year, but y'know. Actually, I might've
filed an extension, come to think of it.)

There's a lot fewer post offices open 'till midnight anymore. If one close by was, that'd
be one thing, but I don't want to drive over an hour into the city for it.

Still, maybe next year I will. I could get a group together and make an outing of it.

--Chris
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I remember the good ole days when I filled out our taxes myself......but with the farm,winery,plus our other jobs, there's just no way,to the tune of $700 to the accountant.But hope is in sight since we've sold most of the farm, the winery/vineyard and in a year not too distant, I may be able to do them again :sniffle:

But you know, as a postal worker, it never fails to amaze me at the folks that just put a stamp on their taxes and send them in. I always certify with a return recipt as proof of mailing date and recieving date. This was a definate help one year when they tried to say that they had not been recieved.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West