Irish Uilleann Piper's of Quebec Meeting in Quebec City

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Was that Gawkers or Gaukers? If so, then I don't want to be charged for a "peep" show. :lol: :lol:

Actually DJM,

It is structured in a way so that on-the-fly lookers can be suggestively motivated to make a donation with doors closed.

upiper71

P.S. Did we meet at CLW 2005? I sort of remember you asking questions to David Quinn during the Q & A period of his pipemaking in the 20th Century session. Just after he strapped on a set of Joe K.'s applewood C sharp set of pipes, which were wonderful to play.
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by OnTheMoor »

JamieKerr wrote: This is one where I know the wife will want to go along for the sightseeing, the atmosphere and the shopping! :lol:
No kidding, I hope my girlfriend doesn't hear about this or she'll make me take up the Pipes. :boggle:
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

What's her email address? I'll send her an invite!!

By the way, any good sessions in Ottawa? I'll be going there over the summer.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Session are on the CCE Website Ottawa Comhaltas Branch, I think.

I will be there this weekend to have a slow seisun with them for the Sunday afternoon, but only for an hour or two.

upiper71
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Further news on the Quebec City club meeting:

Both the morning and the afternoon session will also take place in Kirk Hall - the Literary and Historical Society have agreed to host it as one of their activities. They'll advertise the morning workshop as requiring advance registration and the afternoon session as being open to anyone interested.

Admission is free, but we'll be suggesting donations to the Literary and Historical Society and Irish Heritage Quebec.

PJ
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I have all the sessions I know of in the City Forum, not sure how exaustive it is. Thanks PJ. :P
djm

Post by djm »

PJ wrote:Did we meet at CLW 2005? I sort of remember you asking questions to David Quinn during the Q & A period of his pipemaking in the 20th Century session.
I wuz there. Fat, bald, dopey-lookin' one. Where wuz you? Or rather, which wun wuz you? :D

Yes, I plagued Mr. Quinn so much he stopped coming to this board. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

It was "I" that met you briefly at CLW 05'..actually. But perhaps we'll meet up again sometime.

Are you by chance going to Joe's Reddmaking class April 9th-05 in Kingston?

Daryl Mc
djm

Post by djm »

Daryl, I had not planned on going to Kingston. That's a six-hour drive from here, and Joe is only a half-hour drive from me. Maybe at next year's CLW.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Hey guys,

I just thought I'd bring this back to life.

P.J. Does everything jive for the meeting to start around 10:30am, am I correct in this assumption? 10:30am -12:00pm till lunch?

upiper71

P.S. Nico,Northern Whistler, Ian , Joe, Phil, and Chuck you are all invited to come if it's too far we understand. But if you do, I'm sure you'll enjoy Quebec City. From what I hear it is the second - "City that never sleeps" :lol: :lol:
PJ

Post by PJ »

All is set for tomorrow.

We're starting at 10.30 am at the Kirk Hall. There are two workshops which will be run simultaneously. Richard Shuttleworth has very kindly agreed to host the workshop on chanter reeds. Richard has a secret identity - one of the organisers of the Pipers Gathering in Vermont. He'll focus on reed adjustment to improve tuning. The other workshop will be given by Nick Whitmer, who needs no introduction. He'll be giving those with no prior piping experience an introduction to the uilleann pipes - Uilleann 101. Workshops will end at approx. 12.30 p.m., so that we can go get a bite to eat.

At 2.00 p.m. we'll reconvene at the Kirk Hall for a few tunes. A few other musicians will be on hand (fiddles, guitars, flutes, SSP, etc) to lend a hand. Officially, things will end at 5.00 p.m., but for those who don't want to stop, we'll continue in Nelligan's pub, on St. Jean Street (l'ancien "L'Étrange").

It's all free, thanks to the Literary and Historical Society of Quebec and Irish Heritage Quebec who have covered the costs of the Kirk Hall.

Hope to see some of you guys there.

Patrick
PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

PJ,

Sounds fantastic! I'm very sure that we'll be welcomed and have a great only time in Quebec since it's just as much part of Montreal aka"Party Town" :lol:
PJ

Post by PJ »

A big thank you to all who attended the Club Meeting. It went very well. Particular thanks to Nick Whitmer and Richard Shuttleworth for making the long journey and giving the workshops. So far the feed back has all been very positive with Irish Heritage Quebec being particularly happy that the residents of this fine city now have an alternative to GHB!!

Photos should be posted in the near future. I'll be the one smiling and holding the new set of Whitmer drones!!!

Back to piping now

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.................................
PJ
PJ

Post by PJ »

I'm posting a few photos which were taken by upiper1971 and his fiancée. Thanks D.

Who's this guy? He just turned up unannounced and started playing.

On the left - Christophe, playing his beautiful QK (I believe it's really a PK) fullset. Beside him is some lucky fool who just got his Whitmer drones. Wounder who that could be?

Profile of upiper1971 on his H&McL set. There's that French guy again. Hogging the limelight, as usual!!

More photos to come.

Thanks again D&D
PJ