Loudest Flute under $1000 US?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

David: How's the keywork on your Hammy?
andrewK

Post by andrewK »

Have you thaught of getting a $300 flute and a $600 amplifier ?
fyffer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fyffer »

andrewK wrote:Have you thaught of getting a $300 flute and a $600 amplifier ?
Or, better yet,

Sell the rest of the band's equipment, and get yourself a honking $4K jobbie.
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Got one for ya

Post by demon_piper »

well I had said that Seery was the thing to get, however I received my Copley today, and it is as loud as my Delrin Seery. Its blackwood, and to be honest, from what people have said about Copley flutes, this on exceeds my expectations, and its the cheaper of the two blackwood models.

So my two cents, get one of these Copleys.

Beannacht leat
Hoovorff

Post by Hoovorff »

I'm loving my Copley flute more and more, as I get to know it better. I agree: he makes very responsive instruments.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Henke wrote:David: How's the keywork on your Hammy?
I can't speak for David's Hammy, but the keys on mine aren't as solid as I'd like -- they tend to bend if I'm not careful, which can wreak havoc in the sound & tuning department. However, I'm wondering if they're sterling 'cos they're so soft? So maybe nickel keys are the way to go?

Otherwise, a cool flute.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
ChrisA

Re: Got one for ya

Post by ChrisA »

demon_piper wrote: I received my Copley today, and it is as loud as my Delrin Seery
'As loud'? I've deafened myself with my Copley in ways never possible with the Seery,
having made the same upgrade. I feel like the Copley has a better focus than the Seery,
does more volume-wise with the same airstream.

To be honest, I modulate my volume way down from what I -could- get when I'm practicing;
if I didn't my ears would be perpetually ringing.

I haven't ever actually played an Olwell or a Hammy, so I don't know for sure how they
really compare.

--Chris
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

maracirac wrote:kevin, how you explain that wooden serry is quiter then plastic one?for me is very usefull information, because i prepare myself to buy desi
wooden one, because i thought that it will be louder than plastic. i posses desi plastic one ( like it very much), and gilles lehart, wooden 5 keyed.also great flute, great tone , but i find it quiter than i like.
i try to play in northern style, so i find pratten style more usefull for me, and i want to buy one good pratten stye wooden flute with loud tone, and desi is cheaper than hammy.
so, seems that i must aquire hammy....???
marin
This was just my experience with the one I tried, which may even have been to the taste of the buyer. I suggest you discuss with Desi your requirements and ask if he can deliver what you want in a wooden flute.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I have both a Copley and a Seery; both have good
volume and the former is louder.
David Levine

Hammy keys.

Post by David Levine »

My Hammy keys work fine. They have a small coil spring rather than a leaf spring. I've had no problem with keys bending. I wouldn't mind that in any case because I do bend my keys to improve ergonomics. I always bend the long F key towards the middle of the flute the better to suit my challenged little finger.
If you're looking for a loud Pratten flute, Hammy is the way to go.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
I.D.10-t

Bb

Post by I.D.10-t »

Unseen122 wrote: I will be playing with a Sax and Trumpet and I need something when not amped will cut through.
How hard is it to play trumpet and sax in the key of D? (I thought that they were Bb instruments)
Would it make more sense to have a Bb instruments?
Would playing a lower keyed flute reduce the volume of the instrument?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Henke

Post by Henke »

Thanks Kathy and David for the remarks on the Hammy keys.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I used to play alto, tenor & baritone sax a few decades past, but my brain has atrophied a bit since then so I'm not positive, but I think Tenor is in Bb and Baritone and alto in Eb. I'm clueless as to the key of a Soprano sax (maybe Bb?).

Regardless, all are fully chromatic so who they heck cares about what key the flute is in?

Eric
eilam

Post by eilam »

BTW, Cathy's Hammy is so nice to play, I'd say it's the best feeling flute I have played, it's costing me a year of wanting to get a flute from Hammy, I know I'll loose the battle, I'm just fighting like hell (so I can feel OK with myself later on;).
Well - after playing Cat's flute, I immediately called Hammy the get a Cocus one like Cat's, but Hammy said he does not have Cocus any more, and since then I'm loosing sleep ( it's close to a year by now!).
:sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle: :cry:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

eilam wrote: Well - after playing Cat's flute, I immediately called Hammy the get a Cocus one like Cat's, but Hammy said he does not have Cocus any more, and since then I'm loosing sleep ( it's close to a year by now!).
:sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle: :cry:
Hey, get one in cocobolo. As pretty or prettier than cocus, has its own sound, and Hammy's quite willing to work with it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.