Does anyone have a Burns A flute (thebigone)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sarah Allen plays a Boehm-system alto flute, in G.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Grey for posting, it was your sound files on your website that convinced me to go ahead and purchase a Low A flute, with a Bb body to follow in time.

And I will go back to your site to listen how you play D tunes on the A!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

MarkB wrote:Thanks Grey for posting, it was your sound files on your website that convinced me to go ahead and purchase a Low A flute, with a Bb body to follow in time.

And I will go back to your site to listen how you play D tunes on the A!

MarkB
Again, that dampness you feel is my drool. I'm totally jonesin for one of these because it would allow me to play GHB repertoire/fingerings and still fit in in a session for a lot of tunes.

Is it worth selling off a newly acquired 12-string electric guitar? GAS-inflicted minds want to know.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
greylarsen

Post by greylarsen »

MarkB[/quote]

Again, that dampness you feel is my drool. I'm totally jonesin for one of these because it would allow me to play GHB repertoire/fingerings and still fit in in a session for a lot of tunes.

[/quote]

This is very interesting to me. As someone who does not know a lot about GHB fingerings, would you please explain how GHB fingerings relate to the low A flute fingerings?

Many thanks,

Grey
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

greylarsen wrote:
This is very interesting to me. As someone who does not know a lot about GHB fingerings, would you please explain how GHB fingerings relate to the low A flute fingerings?

Many thanks,

Grey
Sure thing.

There are a few specific reasons why an A flute is appealing.

Highland Pipes are technically in A (Although in reality most are tuned somewhere around Bb or higher). On a pipe chanter, an A is fingered with "six fingers down," much like a D on a flute. There are some important differences, including a lower-hand 4th finger hole on a pipe chanter for low G, and a thumb hole for high A, but the core of the fingerings are the same. An A-flute allows most of the GHB repertoire to be played on a flute without transposing everything to a different hand. Throw in a low G key on a long foot and the entire GHB repertoire is immediately available, with minimal fingering differences.

There are a lot of Irish tunes played commonly on pipes. To cite an example, the reel Farewell to Erin has be heard a lot recently in pipe competitions. I've known this reel for years, but I can't play it on a D flute at the moment (working on it slowly but surely.) Other examples include the Silver Spear, Kesh Jig, Jolly Beggarman, etc. Basically, if it's possible to cram a tune into one octave, somebody has probably written a version for pipes.

At just about every session I've been to (Not that many), I've heard a lot of tunes like that. I'll pick up a D whistle and realize I'm playing in the wrong key more often then not, because I know the fingerings for a different instrument. It's a weird experience. Usually, I'll play the tune in D or E, starting on the lower hand, and the rest of the group will be in A or B.

Also, I speculate that a lot of Scottish tunes like Strathspeys, with a lot of wide, staccato interval jumps would be easier to play in one octave on a flute rather than switching between first and second. Probably more of a sign that my embouchure needs work than anything else.

Ultimately I'd like to get complete fluidity to play any tune in any workable key seemlessly, but it's nice to have options. More importantly, low flutes are just cool :)
OOOXXO
greylarsen

GHB fingerings on low A flute?

Post by greylarsen »

Thank you for these insights. This is a natural fit for the low A flute of which I had not been aware.

Do you think that other players of GHB would be interested in knowing about the Casey Burns low A flute option? If so, could you recommend a forum for posting this kind of information for the GHB community?

Many thanks,

Grey
David Levine

Am I on the wrong list?

Post by David Levine »

GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butrate)

... In recent years there has been a resurgence of a popular street drug called GHB. ... Some people report an increased appreciation for music, dancing, ...
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
Wormdiet

Re: Am I on the wrong list?

Post by Wormdiet »

David Levine wrote:GHB (Gamma Hydroxy Butrate)

... In recent years there has been a resurgence of a popular street drug called GHB. ... Some people report an increased appreciation for music, dancing, ...
I swore off of it years ago.

I knew I had a problem when I would wake up at 4 AM thinking "It's an *E* gracenote, not a D!"
OOOXXO
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

piper's and other keys

Post by demon_piper »

Ok, here's some more clarification on that whole bagpipe issue. The bagpipe scale is in fact in its completeness called A-Mixolydian (a mode not a key). It is capable of playing partial scales in E, Bb, D etc. etc. Hence there is a minor and major cord on the bagpipe.

In the training of GHB pipers however, there is rarely a solid instruction in musical theory. Enough of a grounding for reading music, and understanding time signatures, but many pipers still need to hear what they are trying to play first.

All bagpipe music is written in one scale, from low G to high A, 1 and 1 7th of an octave. Thus, most of us never bother to learn to read music in other keys.

Now to the issue of A whistles and flutes for pipers. Our instrument truly is pitched in Bb sortof (around A=472). But we play an A scale (A-A + low G) the same idea as a whistle with an extra hole below the bell note (on Bb whistle Ab). The low G is in fact the bell note of the chanter, however very few tunes start on it, and most actually start on the A. A piper's two most common starting positions are E and low A (occassionally high A). So for us an A whistle or flute is essentially identical to our pipe playing except that we don't have the low G, which we use sparingly anyway.

I hope this helps, I made the conversion to playing whistles and flutes, and did the same thing with an A susato, eventually you pick up enough that you start reading and playing other keys.

Beannacht leat
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Though I am interested in the low flutes (Bb and A) it would not be for playing GHB tunes. I find that I use that low G a lot. Although a key would fix that problem quite easily. The Breton bombarde players use a key to play that note.

I find that the GHB repertoire doesn't mix well on flute and whistle. If at all, it would be note-for-note in which case Eb is the pitch you want. If any GHB tunes come up in a session (Atholl Highlanders, Brenda Stubbert, etc) I find it a great opportunity to sit and listen or have another pint. If I want to play them that badly I'll get some smallpipes.

You may or may not know, Grey, that your tune "Thunderhead" enjoys another life in the GHB repertoire under the name "Brest St. Mark." I guess that bagad made it popular on pipes. There is even a wild version which drops into 7/8 time on certain bars.

Cheers,
Aaron
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Though I am interested in the low flutes (Bb and A) it would not be for playing GHB tunes. I find that I use that low G a lot. Although a key would fix that problem quite easily. The Breton bombarde players use a key to play that note.

Cheers,
Aaron
I'm just entirely addicted to Mixolydian, and I find myself missing that flattened low 7th a bunch on a flute (in D anyway).

Hrrm. Throw the equivalent of an F natural and you could get low A dorian . . .
OOOXXO
demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

what I was getting at

Post by demon_piper »

Really simply, what I was getting at is that for a piper to pick up an A whistle and realize that he only lacks low G and that the high A is oxxxxx, makes for an easy transition.

And the pipes are like anything else, not all of their repertoire will fit the whistle, it really depends on what you are dealing with.

As far as the use of the low G, yes of course it comes up rather often and we do use it alot. But to forget about it in terms of gracings, the A whistle is still quite a good flip. Yes for tunes that have Low G as a fully valued note there's not a real substitute.

Still, for someone without the background to play in D etc. its one way to go.

Beannacht leat
talasiga

Re: piper's and other keys

Post by talasiga »

demon_piper wrote:Ok, here's some more clarification on that whole bagpipe issue. The bagpipe scale is in fact in its completeness called A-Mixolydian (a mode not a key).
It depends on your perspective. Your A Mixolydian "bagpipe scale" (as you said) is the dominant scale in the key of D major or the leading note scale in the key of B nat. minor.

Generally speaking, in the quaint chromatic-unfriendly western music staff notation system, people will find A Mixolydian written in D major / B nat. minor key signatures.

People often confuse the termimology relating to keys and key signature because of short cuts used to describe things. For instance, a key signature is a "programming" of the staves of the western notation system. But that does not mean all the music in the programmed staves will have the keynote used to describe the signature. That is a separate issue.

To say that A mixolydian is not a key is about as non sequitur as saying D Ionian (D Major) is not a key. A Mixo and D Ionian are in the key (when this means "key signature") of D major/B nat. minor. And, when we mean keynote or tonic by the word "key", then A Mixo. is obviously in A and D Major is in D.

(Hello - Mrs T here- I think, at this point, it would be useful to say that A Mixolydian is a Mixolydian scale beginning with the note A.)

:o

(She's on holidays and at home. "She who must be obeyed"!
I have to go weed the garden now ....... )
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

She has a science degree major in zoology. This is how we met! :lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A note to say that I played Grey's A flute body when he
received it; it's remarkable in that the A and the Bb bodies
finger almost the same, no sense of an additional
stretch to play the A.