Google's Gone Local (new satellite photo feature)

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

NicoMoreno wrote:like most Google things, you must have IE 5.5 or higher...

Since I am using 5.1 or something similar... well you get it.

I was checking it out using another computer here at work... pretty cool!
It works fine on Mozilla also... though it does fail w3c checking rather spectactularly.

I found my house and some other places on the satellite. Urban areas seem to have
nice clear high resolution pictures, but rural areas aren't so good. It stops you from zooming
in anywhere near as far. Ah, well.

I predict it will be very useful in creating urban maps for video games 'mods'.

--Chris
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

The technology is a little disturbing, but, though I looked up my homeplace on it, I couldn't make out any features, beyond wooded areas vs. pasture lands and fields, and the occasional major highway.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

No worries; it ain't all that current, believe me. There are some features in my neighborhood that are vastly changed since those photos were taken.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:No worries; it ain't all that current, believe me. There are some features in my neighborhood that are vastly changed since those photos were taken.
That's assuming there have been changes in the area since satellite technology came into use. :lol:
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:No worries; it ain't all that current, believe me. There are some features in my neighborhood that are vastly changed since those photos were taken.
That's assuming there have been changes in the area since satellite technology came into use. :lol:
:-?

Ooookaaay....
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

You mean I don't need to warn the wife about working on her all-over tan? :lol:
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

It's not 100% accurate either. When I looked up my husband's store it puts the balloon at the end of the block south of the actual store. Anybody using this map to find our bookstore will walk into a great donut shop! Of course, it would only be fair - a lot of the donut shop customers park in our lot (which wouldn't be bad if they would only come in and buy a book or two while they're there!)
Charlene
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Charlene wrote:It's not 100% accurate either. When I looked up my husband's store it puts the balloon at the end of the block south of the actual store. Anybody using this map to find our bookstore will walk into a great donut shop! Of course, it would only be fair - a lot of the donut shop customers park in our lot (which wouldn't be bad if they would only come in and buy a book or two while they're there!)
Yeah I looked up a place I used to live in Texas and it pointed to the middle of a creek.

I agree with Chris, great for game maps. One thing Terraserver has though is contour maps.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Nanohedron wrote:
Walden wrote:
:-?

Ooookaaay....
Well, I don't mean you are assuming that your area had changed, obviously you could see that it had. On the pics of my area, which I only really looked at this part of the county, it was so blurry, even on the closest closeup, that I couldn't tell a house from the graveyard... and that was already knowing where everything was located.
Reasonable person
Walden
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Heehee, I just looked up one of my old residences on both Google and Terraserver. The Terraserver image was from 1994, and I moved out in 1990. The people who moved in apparently added some sort of small, white extension on the back of the house. *squints* I'm guessing they covered the wooden deck behind the kitchen.

Between then and the Google image, whenever that was, they added a pool. :lol:

It's the leftmost of three above the lower horizontal road. Welcome to suburban New York!