Dr. Who's Back!!!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
OnTheMoor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dr. Who's Back!!!

Post by OnTheMoor »

I just stumbled onto the new Dr.Who,
wow I remember this show from when I was just a (younger) kid.
... I can't remember whether I liked it or not though.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol:
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Is it on the broadcast educational channel, like it used to be, or must one shell out money for cable or satellite?
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I think it's on in . . . Canada!!! Waaah! :cry:

Haven't seen that it's been picked up for the American market. <sniff> It's all so UNFAIR!
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Suckers! :D
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Bet yer feelin' stupid bout that whole independance thing now eh???
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

SNIIIIIFFFF!

How fast can an expat two generations removed come back? I'm sure it's probably only 1.5! It's not my dad's fault! I know he didn't want to be taken away! I have a very popular last name . . . nobody will ever notice . . . I'll stop capitalizing it in the middle, I promise . . . I'll install all the right fonts on my computer . . . In stores, I always replace products on the shelf with the French side facing out . . . and I looooove snow! And rutabagas! Truly, I do! Hockey is my favorite sport! I even saw it once on TV. . . Wayne Gretzky! . . . and I'm sooooo polite! Well, maybe not that polite . . . but I can learn! I can learn! :sniffle:

Ohhh, what I wouldn't do for just one itsy-titsy Who-fix.
Lark

Post by Lark »

I just seen the show in the CBC, and I loved it. :D

It’s a lot like the original but yet not, which is good, cause a cookie cutter remake would suck cause it would never be as good as the original. Anywho, my only complaint would be that the special effects are not quite hokey enough, however there was some horrible acting that made up for it. :)

I think as long as they keep it on right after Corry, it should be a hit.

I think coming back shouldn’t be a problem, just fallow these steps:

1) Drink some Canadian beer (or lots and lots of American beer)

2) Import some maple cookies, eat the whole box and keep them down for at least 10 min.

3) Come up with reasons why Glenn Gould, David Suzuki, Margaret Atwood are the best I the world at what they do... what ever that is

4) Bonis points if you can convince someone that William Shatner, Jim Carry, or Paul Gross are actually good actors.

5) Say you are from Canada. If you can’t get the hand of the politeness, or are just mean, say you are from Manitoba. If you feel like no one understands you, Quebec. If you have affinity for fish, drinks, dancing, or a really thick accent, the Maritimes. If you are simply nuts, Vancouver.

6) Learn and watch Hockey or Curling fanatically. Hockey won’t give you much to talk about right now, and curling lingo sounds like gibberish unless you know the sport, e.g.:”he wanted to freeze his rock to the back gard inside the four foot to force a score of one, so he could get the hammer the next end”

7) Learn the old, new, ones before that, original, the 70's remake, and the current words to O’Canada, in English, and French, being able to switch back and forth intermittently through the song, at seemingly random intervals, while drinking beer or eating a maple cookie.

8) Be able to point out on a map where Canada is, along with the capitol, provinces, provincial capitols, secondary cities, towns, villages, one horse towns, and every itty bitty little shack in the middle of nowhere, because ever sense a study showed that most Americans can’t there has been unending pressure to know every minor detail of Canadian geography just so if there is ever a study here we will know the right answers even though no one cares where Moose Jaw or Rocky mountain house are! (Saskatchewan and British Columbia, BTW)

9) Continuously try to convince people that Canada isn’t really cold, but rather just has a good, hearty winter. That requires a parka, insulated boots, thermal underwear, snow pants and knowledge of such wonderful concepts of “Wind Chill”, “Ice Storm”, and being able to recite all 72 parts of the snow that is useful.

10) Be able to tell how many minuets old the Tim Horton’s coffee is just from the taste.
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

We have visited Nova Scotia on a number of vacations. I had to laugh at your list. I did once start trying to learn at least the provinces of Canada, and I made some progress. Once at a bed and breakfast in Annapolis Royale I was telling the other people how fascinated I was by the Royal Family (I don't know why really) and they just politely pointed out that I could have had them too. They didn't laugh until I finally got it. It's a great place.
Caj

Post by Caj »

That's okay, the 1st episode leaked onto the Internet a few weeks ago.

Caj
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I saw the second episode last weekend. 8) (sorry, couldn't resist. This must be the advantage for the high cost of living, right?) I like the show, though I never saw the original ones.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

avanutria wrote:I saw the second episode last weekend. 8) (sorry, couldn't resist. This must be the advantage for the high cost of living, right?) I like the show, though I never saw the original ones.
But will soon, as I have lots of Dr Who videos...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Martin Milner wrote: But will soon, as I have lots of Dr Who videos...
Yeah... but they're not NTSC, so I can't watch them. Umm... is that correct? NTSC? Isn't that National Transportation Safety Commission? Never mind... I don't know.
Reasonable person
Walden
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Walden wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: But will soon, as I have lots of Dr Who videos...
Yeah... but they're not NTSC, so I can't watch them. Umm... is that correct? NTSC? Isn't that National Transportation Safety Commission? Never mind... I don't know.
Yeah, they're PAL, which is much more friendly I always feel...
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Believe it or not, I've never watched Dr. Who. The Avengers, on the other hand, is still one of my favorites.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm