Searching for a Good or High End whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TinwhistleJulian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Searching for a Good or High End whistle

Post by TinwhistleJulian »

Hello Mates
After a while away from from concerts I come back again after nearly 3 years without professional concerts.
But theres one problem now:
I need a better tinwhistle now again,cause normally for training I play a tweaked Generation or my auld clarke soprano .But to use them for public playing in front of 2000 listeners theyre not good enough.
First I thought about buying a Overton tin whistle,but theyre hardly to get in online stores in a time under 3months,and thats too long.`(I know Colin has just 2 Hands and his tools to produce them,so I can understand that theyre rare).So I am now in a great dilemma without knowing a solution.
Can you name me other good makers of tin whistles in the price category of circa 150$?
Need help soon,thx ,Julian
(and who wants to sell good instruments just write me a pm)
Julian O`Donovan

´´We all have the same heaven above us ,but not all the same horizon ´´ (Konrad Adenauer)

The long and winding road ,that leads..............
Constance

Post by Constance »

Ronaldo Reyburn has a new session whistle that is very good and you won't have to spend the whole $150. He sells his for only $90. He is now making them with a heavier wall tube which is quite durable and the tone is excellent. His site is www.reyburnwhistles.com

Check it out
Constance
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

Lot of Burke fans in here. My favorite is a wide bore Humphrey. Sweetheart pro is also in that price range . Lots of others but I won't elaborate on anything I havn't played or listened to in person.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Not to knock any of the suggestions I've seen so far, I don't think you'd be going wrong with a Syn, either - at ~$40 they're a steal. There are usually a few in stock at the Gaelic Crossings store, so getting your hands on one shouldn't be hard.

I like Serpents, too, but I haven't had a chance to try Bill's new BrassySinger session whistle yet (~$35). Some board members don't care for Serpent's deliberately breathy voicing style, but the new model is supposed to be pretty pure and focused.

If you want volume and tunability, you could always go with Susato (that whimpering sound you hear is Bloomfield assuming the fetal position with his thumb in his mouth). Not my favorite indoor whistle, but it sounds pretty good when you need to fill space. The price is right, too - ~$30 for a tunable, ~$20 for a non-tunable.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

You should be able to get a Burke pretty fast.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Humphrey's are my favorite too. I also recently got one of the new heavy bodied Reyburns which are also nice. They Reyburn is somewhat similar to the Humphrey but it takes a bit more air and is a bit louder.

-Brett
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Phil Hardy's new Kerry Songbird is a great whistle. Great back pressure and a sweet mellow sound. It can be had in both Low and Soprano. Price is very reasonable.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Burkes are good whistles, but don't sound like Generations..

If that's the sound you're looking for, I'd suggest a Sindt. I think he's got a wait though, so you may be stuck.

Silkstone Alloy whistles have a nice complexity of tone for that price range, but don't have the same playing characteristics (breath or sound) as a Generation either.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Mick O'Brien in Dublin distributes Burke whistles in Europe and keeps some on hand.
Kansas

Good Whistle

Post by Kansas »

I know you said Overton, but for what it's worth there is a Copeland currently on ebay. I've no interest or "ties" in it or with the seller - just saw it the other day.

[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Too high for me. But it says he will ship worldwide for $25.00. Good luck
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Go for the Humphrey. There is no better buy.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
slowair

Post by slowair »

Some one was reading your mind.
There's an Overton high D for sale on the board.
Hope you get it and no one snaps it up first.