Virus Program Suggestions

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Boo

Virus Program Suggestions

Post by Boo »

My Norton Internet Security subscription is up in a couple of days. Renewal for a year is $30. I'm looking around to see if there is a good FREE virus program out there before I do. In addition to detecting viruses, it has a firewall, "intrusion detection," and ad blocking.

Any suggestions? Muchas gracias and happy Cesar Chavez Day!
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

I doubt there is anything free. I'd use F-Secure if it wasn't for the high price, so i use Norton (at home and at work).

One thing you can do is buy on eBay. There are always some NAV copies being sold there. I assume that's from people who buy computers with the software pre-loaded and then blow away the software anyway (e.g. to install Linux). Beware: the last time i bought NAV on eBay, i got a license key that didn't work (Norton complained that there were already too many copies using that key). But i emailed the seller and he promptly sent me a new license key (which worked). I did get the official Norton CD and packaging.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

www.grisoft.com/ has AVG anti virus which is recommended here a lot.

I was given that for free once when I had my computer repaired, it's probably not altogether free but could be worth looking at.

McAfee came with my machine and it has never asked for money while still updating and working well.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think McAfee changed recently. I had McAfee at home. It worked for 3 years without asking for money, but about 2 months ago it "told" me it wasn't going to update itself anymore unless i bought a subscription. Since i had been having sporadic problems with it anyway, i bought Norton instead.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Yes the AVG (aka Grisoft) is free. It's good too. I hear it was developed for the government, with government money, and the stipulation was that the company had to offer a version for free to the public. AVG also has a pay version, but I don't think it's any more powerful it's just that you get support with it. You don't get any support with the free version, but there is a message board where you can get help with most problems. And you have to update it manually, rather then having automatic updates. Which isn't a big deal.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I used this one for several years until AOL started offering McAfee free:

http://www.free-av.com/

The personal (as opposed to busimess or commercial)version is completely free, as are virus definition upgrades
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've been using AVG for 2-3 years now, and it's great. They have good FAQs and all, so I've never needed support. It auto-updates on a very regular basis (I think about every 2-3 days there is a new update), and it's caused no systems problems on two different computers.

Eric
Boo

Suggestions

Post by Boo »

I've seen the AVG site before when I did a google search, but didn't know if it was any good. I'll check them out and AntiVir, too.

Thanks, everybody, for your suggestions.
Dazzle1

Virus protection

Post by Dazzle1 »

In a former life I used to be a computer systems analyst. The best system I found is designed by Zone Alarm, having tried all the major concerns over the years. They have a free basic firewall on the site which I'm sure would suit, it is also compatible with AVG virus.

D
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

A coworker just started using AVG. He really likes it. Apparently it has a tiny footprint, i.e. it doesn't eat your system resources or take up too much hard drive space.

I personally detest McAfee. On a fresh Windows XP Home install on a new hard drive there were 19 active processes after the first boot.
I installed McAfee and even if I shut off all their system tray garbage I still had 34. The firewall messed up and blocked all internet traffic.

Also PCcillian has become a system hog as well. It used to be nice and small like AVG but now it has a bunch of "integrated features".

Crap.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm