newbie question about hand size

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TomR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

newbie question about hand size

Post by TomR »

Hi everybody. I've been reading here quite a while but haven't posted in a couple of years.

I've got a question about hand size and flute playing. I went to Casey Burns' web site and tested whether I should get a small hand size flute. The test was to measure finger spread from pinky to thumb with the hand spread as much as comfortably possible. Under 7.5 inches and you go with the smaller hand flute.

My hand was under the 7.5 inch spread. Could some of you profficient players measure you hands and post the dimensions? Are my hands really small? See Casey Burns' site for details.

Are some of the large holed Pratten style flutes out of the question for me? I had a Dixon Polymer and found it painfully unpleasant to play. I'm willing to try again but should I?
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

I don't have a ruler handy, but I checked my spread against a piece of standard 8 1/2 x 11 copy paper, and I estimate my spread to be about 8-3/4 inches. Note that I wear a size 12 (US) shoe, and am about 6 feet tall as well, so long extremities are expected (please, no off-color jokes)...
:)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Unlike fyffer, I was lucky enough to have a ruler handy. I can do 8.5", but it's not comfortable. 8.0" is just fine, though. Seery, Dixon 3 piece, sweetheart - all were very comfortable for me to play.

I'm 5'8", which used to be average US height but now is a tad on the shorter side - I'm heading towards hobbit fast!

If you hand spread measures less than 7.5", I think Casey is correct in suggesting the small hands model --- unless you're wanting to use piper's grip which may allow a larger holed/spread flute.

Eric
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

My comfortable right hand spread is 9" and my left is 9 1/2". I don't have especially long fingers but my palms seem a bit wide.
Alan
carrie

Post by carrie »

Gee, this was eye-opening for me. I have long fingers, but my spread was just under 7.5. I do find a Pratten style difficult to play, but I haven't given it a real effort. The thing is, I measured my hands against my flute teacher's once and they were about the same as his, and he, of course, plays his Olwell Pratten brilliantly. I am very comfortable with my antique R&R style boxwood, very. However, I can also say that I have Casey Burns' regular flute in mopane--it was my first wooden flute--and I had no problem at all with it.

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

8.5" handspread. Weird, because my hands are definitely small, and to top it off my pinkie measures only 2" in length (I have dinky pinkie syndrome). I play a normalish-sized flute, but then I also use the so-called "piper's grip". No problem for me. Maybe it's because no one ever told me I couldn't do it!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

9 in spread like Alan I have very wide fingers and palms not very long fingers but I wear a size 12.5 ring and my ring finger is only 3. inches long.
TomR

Post by TomR »

Thanks for getting back on this. I guess I do have small hands compared to all of you. Pipers grip? I'll definitely go for the small hands folk flute later this year. At that price, I can give this thing another try.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I use Pipers grip but I also play GHBs so it feels comfortable to me.
Lambchop

Re: newbie question about hand size

Post by Lambchop »

TomR wrote: I've got a question about hand size and flute playing. I went to Casey Burns' web site and tested whether I should get a small hand size flute. The test was to measure finger spread from pinky to thumb with the hand spread as much as comfortably possible. Under 7.5 inches and you go with the smaller hand flute.

My hand was under the 7.5 inch spread. Could some of you profficient players measure you hands and post the dimensions? Are my hands really small? See Casey Burns' site for details.

Are some of the large holed Pratten style flutes out of the question for me? I had a Dixon Polymer and found it painfully unpleasant to play. I'm willing to try again but should I?

[Disclaimer: Non-proficient player posting follows.]

Fascinating thread! I'm so glad you asked this! It really puts things into perspective. It's one thing to hear people say that a Pratten Whopper can be gotten used to by anybody, because they managed it, but it puts it in a different light to hear it from someone whose hands could cover Nebraska.

Perhaps recommendations should come from someone with similar size hands. I wonder if short, but wide hands have an inherent advantage over long, but slender hands.

Tonight, I notice that my hand spread has changed! I've been working on getting used to a McGee 5088 Rudall, which is somewhat larger than my Burns small-handed boxwood Rudall.

Interestingly, my left hand, which has not had to spread out, but just reach a bit further with the 4th finger, is now comfortably at 8. The right, which has had to spread laterally a considerable bit, is now at 8-1/2. They used to be the same.

There is also a distinct Vulcan gap on the right, between the 3rd and 4th fingers.

I don't think you can go wrong with the small-handed model. It will be very comfortable for you. My hands are larger than Casey's 7.5 inches, but I don't find the s-h flute awkward. On the contrary, it is very nice.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Mine is 8" on the button, I even use it to measure. I don't have any problem even with large-holed flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Well I'm a 5'6" woman with somewhat largish hands. My right hand spread is a tad short of 8", while my left hand nearly hits 9" -- a result, no doubt of playing the mountain dulcimer which requires a lot of lateral stretching in the fretting hand.

My Sweetheart flute is very comfortable, but I find the gap between the right hand middle and ring finger holes to be a bit awkward on my old one-piece Tipple. A piper grip is more comfortable on that flute, but I haven't mastered making it tight or quick.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

I just noticed that my left hand is 9.5 must be because I had to stretch for the first and second hole on my low whistle.
pandscarr

Post by pandscarr »

My right measures 8.5" while my left measures 8.25" -

but I guess it has a lot to do with flexibility too, as I'm 5'2" with very skinny fingers, but a big spread playing the piano. I'm comfortable on Rudall Rose flutes - never tried a Pratton, so I can't say. The difficulty for me isn't stretch, but can be hole size if a flute has very large holes.
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I suffer from the dinky pinky syndrome myself. It doesn't bother me with the Irish flute, but with guitar, where the pinky is really important, I was seriously handicapped.

I am interested in knowing how Fyffer's recent trip to Ireland to perform as a marching fiffer turned out. I see that he is back in the USA. Obviously, he must have survived all of the stout (or is it Guiness?) on St. Patrick's Day.