The Da Vinci Code

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Have you read The Davinci Code?

Yes.
31%
No.
64%
Other.
5%

Total votes: 55

Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:I didn't send you a PM, Cran. :wink:
Why not? Did I say or do something wrong? I don't think I get it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:
Meaning I've already got a copy of that book, Cran. :)
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
Meaning I've already got a copy of that book, Cran. :)
Oh. Good. I was afraid I did something or something. :poke:

P.S., we need a little face for "wipes forehead and sighs in relief".
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Fear not, nor be of worried brow.
Jack

Post by Jack »

The Irish book has also found a home. :)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wow! That was easy! The DaVinci has a new home!

How about a North Face down coat? Tan with black interior, hood, snaps & zipper, drawstring toggle waist, women's large. Freshly laundered, little wear, but has barely noticeable darkening on some of the edges from the water repellent stuff. If you're not picky, it'd be fine anytime.

It's a great coat, but seriously useless here. Even the homeless would find it burdensome.

Maybe somebody in the cold, frozen north could provide the address of a women's shelter up there? Or a church clothes closet?
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Peggy wrote:Wow! That was easy! The DaVinci has a new home!

How about a North Face down coat? Tan with black interior, hood, snaps & zipper, drawstring toggle waist, women's large. Freshly laundered, little wear, but has barely noticeable darkening on some of the edges from the water repellent stuff. If you're not picky, it'd be fine anytime.

It's a great coat, but seriously useless here. Even the homeless would find it burdensome.

Maybe somebody in the cold, frozen north could provide the address of a women's shelter up there? Or a church clothes closet?
I sold a used North Face fleece jacket on ebay for some major bucks. That brand seems to have some cachet, though it is off-season right now. You might consider that option. The price I realized could buy five or more warm winter coats at thrift stores, albeit less prestigious brands.
+ Bill
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I remember reading it but I can hardly remember a thing about it. I do remember wondering why it was so popular. I'm not above reading really good stories written in so-so English, but this book really left me cold.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Peggy wrote:Maybe somebody in the cold, frozen north could provide the address of a women's shelter up there? Or a church clothes closet?
I'm not exactly in the cold, frozen north, but I could get you the address of the shelter in which I stayed over a year ago that's in DC. It's not a women's shelter, but a youth shelter for men and women between the ages of 18-21. I'm not entirely sure they accept donations of clothing, though...lemme know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: The Da Vinci Code

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:This is apparently a very popular book.

I was watching Ron Reagan (and Monica Crowley) on television this morning and he said "I think it's official that I am the only person on earth who has not read this book".

But I haven't read it. I'm interested if Ron and I are indeed the only people who've never read it.
I've not read the Da Vinci Code, but read Holy Blood, Holy Grail, a long time back.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I haven't read it. I did read Shelby Foote's 3 volume set of the US Civil War. Does that count?

Peggy, is the coat men or womens? What size?

Anybody have one of those great Russian hats they want to get rid of? A Ushanka not an Astrakhan. Size 7-1/2
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cynth wrote:I remember reading it but I can hardly remember a thing about it. I do remember wondering why it was so popular. I'm not above reading really good stories written in so-so English, but this book really left me cold.
Does anyone think that bestsellers must necessarily be written for the lowest common denominator audience?

Not meaning that intellectuals (like what us lot is) can't appreciate them too, as a break from the heavy stuff, but that they have to appeal to a mass audience.

Anyone else a fan of the Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake?

p.s. DVC hads been out in paperback for quite a while in the UK - dunno if that'll affect secondhand sales of hardbacks.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Nah, not necessarily. Jared Diamond's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 45663">Gun, Germs, and Steel</a> is currently on the NY times paperback non-fiction bestseller list and it's hell of a book.

Mind you, a lot probably are, but not all.
Eddie
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

beowulf573 wrote:Nah, not necessarily. Jared Diamond's <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 45663">Gun, Germs, and Steel</a> is currently on the NY times paperback non-fiction bestseller list and it's hell of a book.

Mind you, a lot probably are, but not all.
I still haven't read that. I'll have to get around to it. Heard it's pretty good.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

jsluder wrote:Umberto Eco, on the other hand, is great. I thoroughly enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum, as well as The Name of the Rose.
Agreed, I enjoyed both of those books a lot too. On the other hand, Eco's "The Island of the Day Before" I found almost unreadably dull. I kept waiting for some semblance of plot to appear, but it never did.