What are you doing on St. Patrick's Day?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TnWhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What are you doing on St. Patrick's Day?

Post by TnWhistler »

As some of you know I work with Carnival Cruise Lines as a stand-up comic. I was unable to be home for St. P's to play with my band Sigean, but tonight, after my show, before I leave the stage, I will strap on the pipes and play a few tunes.

Wendell's Wedding
and a set of jigs... Buried my Wife,etc./Jimmy Ward's/ Rolling Waves

The orchestra will be backing me up, well the rythym instruments (guitar,bass,and drums)

Wish me Luck. Hope all goes well with all your ventures. Check out... http://www.sigeanband.com

Timmy

BTW... the downloads on the site are old, it is not me, but is Zac Leger on the pipes.
No E

Post by No E »

I'm changing my avatar.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

No E wrote:I'm changing my avatar.

No E
That is going to take some getting used to Larry. On this St. Paddy's day, I will enjoy the comforts of home... as I have for the last 5 years. I do not miss the chaotic goings on of the local pubs on this, the second biggest 'amatuer night' of the year.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Did a gig with the band in the cafeteria of a Seagate Technologies R&D center. We were there thanks to their "diversity program", which is something that escapes me a bit as it's, like, Saint Patrick's Day, you know? Any other day I'd get the diversity thing.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Did a gig down the coast. Drank lemonade. Drove home, went to bed, 5 hrs later woke up, now I'm at work trying to stay awake. A class of 30+ school students should help.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi

Played a gig at the local bar in town. I thouraly enjoyed myself and others seemed to enjoy my piping. One of the local musicians who was performing after me came up and asked if I was tought by Willie Clancy (if I came from Ireland). This a transcriped of the conversation.

"You recognised my style of playing then" I said,
"The Old Bush gave it away...I was a big fan of the Clancy brothers"
"No I'm self tought, Willie died about ten years ago . I learn't it of a Gael Linn recording made by him."

An exchange of numbers took place and he asked me if I could join in later. Unfortunatly I had some assignments to do when I got home :(. I would have thouraly enjoyed the session though. Maybe next time.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was on the local channel seven news too. Forty seconds worth of advertsing (for free) :lol:.

Cheers L42B :)
Last edited by L42B on Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

St. Pat's is one of the only day's I WON'T go into a pub. Too crowded, rowdy, impossible to get a pint...just not worth goin'.

Stayin' home and surfin' the internet is much better. ;-)

Stay safe out there. -gary
No E

Post by No E »

Hey L42B,

Wow, that's quite a compliment, being mentioned in the same breath as Willie Clancy. A Happy St. Patrick's Day indeed.

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm monitoring an eBay auction of mine that closes tonight.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Orriginaly Posted by No E
Hey L42B,

Wow, that's quite a compliment, being mentioned in the same breath as Willie Clancy. A Happy St. Patrick's Day indeed.

No E
I'll never ever be as good as the great Willie Clancy. Although the style I've developed myself is very simmilar to that of the great Clancy. It's a cloased style of fingering with a flowing feel. I've always liked that about Clancy' playing. I'm going to go into my friends recording studio next week. So maybe I can post a recording on Clips & Snips.

Cheers L42B :)
djm

Post by djm »

L42B wrote:"The Old Bush gave it away...I was a big fan of the Clancy brothers"
Yes, I was always impressed by the Clancy brothers. Great piping, and I understand they would sing a bit from time to time. :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I did a 3 hr. afternoon gig at the local brew pub and was finished before the noise got out of hand. Sat in with friends at their Borders gig which was very quiet. In my jammies by 9:45 tonight and feeling mellow.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Just got in for the night(morning). Started at 8:00am, a fundraiser at a hotel in Port Huron, then down to a local hospital in the Detroit area for two hours, then out to New Baltimore(7pm-midnight). Great crowd, had a table of copter flyboys with the Coast Guard, they kept the night going well...the band has now definitely left the building....to bedlam ZZZZZZZ!
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I'm just about to hit the cot after 7 gigs. Its 1.05am in St. Louis and my first gig was at 7 am the morning before.
But thats what I do for a living and I'm not complaining but a long feckin day.
You make hay when the sun shines!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

For me, the bar crowds were crap tonight. Semi-rude and disinterested. I can't bitch because I still walked away with $560 for the night and a fair few pints in my gut, but I've seen better years. Does it kind of drag you guys down when you look out into the crowd and can tell quite obviously that they could give a whack?
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.