Can't get that tune out of your head..maybe it isn't in your

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Can't get that tune out of your head..maybe it isn't in your

Post by MarkB »

Can't get that tune out of your head...maybe it isn't in your brain!

Thu 10 Mar 2005

Scientists discover why songs stick in your mind

JAMES REYNOLDS
SCIENCE CORRESPONDENT

SCIENTISTS have discovered what makes a tune catchy by pinpointing the precise part of the brain where a song’s "hook" gets caught.

It is the auditory cortex - the area that handles information from the ears - that holds on to musical memories.

A team from Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, played music to volunteers while using a technique called functional magnetic resonance imagery to scan their brains. As the music was played, parts of the tune were cut. Researchers found volunteers mentally filled in the blanks if a familiar song was missing snippets, although the same effect was not seen with unfamiliar tunes.

The brain activity was picked up by the scan and found to be centred in the auditory cortex.

Dr David Kraemer, one of the team whose research is published in the journal Nature, said: "We played music in the scanner, and then we hit a virtual ‘mute’ button. We found people couldn’t help continuing the song in their heads and when they did this, the auditory cortex remained active even though the music had stopped."

Maybe it was the music that Van Gogh heard and not his art that he cut off a piece of his ear, in trying to stop the music.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

No! They are researching this! Argg! I can see it now a new breed of commercials computer generated to last in a person for days!

Must… use … umpa lumpa song to… …drown out commercial…

... umpa lumpa dupadoo do ive got a perfect puzzle for you umpa lumpa dupadee if you are wise you'll listen to me ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

I know the perfect way to get a stuck song out of my head...

Pick up a whistle and try to play it! Never fails. ;) (unless I -already- know how to play
the tune, of course.

(Yes, the whole 'leaning by ear' thing is evading me :o )

--Chris
Darwin

Re: Can't get that tune out of your head..maybe it isn't in

Post by Darwin »

MarkB wrote:Maybe it was the music that Van Gogh heard and not his art that he cut off a piece of his ear, in trying to stop the music.
I bet it was that bling-blanged Jeopardy theme song. :shock:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

*schni schna schnappi
schnappi schnappi schnapp*

*schni schna schnappi
schnappi schnappi schnapp*

(edited because I had absolutely no choice at all; none, I tell you)
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Some of the most disturbing moments in my life have been when my brain realised that there was a tune stuck in my fingers, with my foot tapping, and started playing it to my ears. What does the study say about that?? :roll:

Ah, the ITM scarring continues... :P

Deirdre
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I think I might buy into that study. I'm sure we've all noticed that sometimes you actually think you are hearing a song. Complete with all it's parts. Like the Chicken Dance song for instance.