ot:HELP! irish translation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

Quick question. I am doing an art project for school and I need "peace", "love" and other words like that translated in to Irish. If anyone knows of any words like that, could you help me out? I hope this makes sense, cause it's late and I just got done with a western civ. paper on Sigmund Freud. :wink:

Caryn
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Caryn, "peace" is "siochain" and "love" is "bheith i ngra le" (well, that's what my dictionary says), "freedom" is "saoirse" and "water" is "uisce" (pronounced whiskey, I'm sure). Hope this helps. :smile:
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
fluteboy

Post by fluteboy »

Well, actually, "love" is simply "gra" (with an accent over the "a")."Bheith i ngra Le Duine" is the full sentence there and it means "To be in Love" (with another person).

Zac
fluteboy

Post by fluteboy »

"Siochain" is pronounced something like
"shuh-SHAN". Uisce is pronounced "OO-shuh"
(often used as "Uisce Beatha" ("Water of Life; i.e. whiskey. And THAT would make a really authentic project!)

Zac
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

thanks everyone. This is great.

Caryn

:smile:
brian_k

Post by brian_k »

Hello Caryn,

"Peace" is "síocháin," pronounced "SHE-uh-cawn"; and "love" is "grá," with the "a" rhyming with the "a" in "craw" or "saw."

You have to write the acute accents (called fada marks) in Irish, because they change the pronunciation, and thus also the actual meaning of the word. For example, "síocháin" means "peace"; but "siocán" means "frost." They sound a bit different, because they are.

Hope this helps ....

Fair play to you,
brian_k
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

thanks for all the help. In my drawing and painting class, we are writing/painting condolenses for the students in the Germany school shooting. So I did a celtic tree of life, with irish words around it.

thanks again!
Caryn