the world is NOT a safe place

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

the solar system includes the sun and nine planets including earth. The galaxy is made up of millions upon millions of stars. It's a matter of scale.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cranberry wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
You don't like the solar system?
pssst, it's the <i>galaxy</i>, not the solar system.
I don't even really know the difference. :sniffle:
A solar system is a single star (could be more, but usually single) and the planets and other bodies (if any) that surround it.

A galaxy is a vast celestial construct, formed and shaped by gravity, made up of countless trillions upon trillions of stars, many of which have their own solar system.

A solar system, though large to our understanding, is microscopically small compared to the vast size of a galaxy.

Our solar system is part of a galaxy that is shaped like a spiral. It's called the Milky Way.

--James
Lark

Post by Lark »

When I was in high school, I knew a couple fellows who enjoyed cutting off there air until they seen stars and felt like they were “floating”. They seemed to be perpetually trying to push the envelop on the human experience. Perhaps this is common among those who constantly “push the envelope”? Are race car drivers, free climbers, rock stars, and Mr. Rogers all hiding the red marks on there necks?
Lark Wood Works: Fine wood crafts
http://www.larkwoodworks.com/
Jack

Post by Jack »

TelegramSam wrote:the solar system includes the sun and nine planets including earth. The galaxy is made up of millions upon millions of stars. It's a matter of scale.
What's the universe, then?

And the milky way?
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Mr. Rogers isn't hiding anything, as he's gone to meet his maker.

A lot of people "huff" solvents and what-not to achieve the same effect. A lot of them die from it, too. It's a far more dangerous practice than taking drugs in a lot of ways.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cranberry wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:the solar system includes the sun and nine planets including earth. The galaxy is made up of millions upon millions of stars. It's a matter of scale.
What's the universe, then?

And the milky way?
Sorry, Sam, I didn't mean to step on your post. You are, of course, exactly right.

Cran, the universe is the sum of everything that is, all taken together. It includes us, our planet, our solar system, our galaxy, all the other galaxies, and possibly some other stuff we haven't even guessed exists yet.

Again, as Sam pointed out, a matter of scale. A galaxy, though vast beyond our true understanding, is very very tiny compared to the size of the universe.

--James
Jack

Post by Jack »

TelegramSam wrote:Mr. Rogers isn't hiding anything, as he's gone to meet his maker.

A lot of people "huff" solvents and what-not to achieve the same effect. A lot of them die from it, too. It's a far more dangerous practice than taking drugs in a lot of ways.
Mr. Rogers! I never liked him until he died. I never watched a single show of his until he died and they started playing them over and over. I think I was 18 years old at that point. :roll:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

lark---I don't know about Mr. Rogers, but there are a lot of people who do risky things like climbing mountains, racing cars, etc. I don't think they really want to mimic dying or want to die. I think they feel they are accomplishing something very difficult which they have prepared and trained themselves for. Maybe it is proving something to themselves and I guess I would say they are pushing the envelope. But strangling yourself for fun, that seems different. You are just inducing a physical state in your body that has to do with oxygen deprivation and nothing, that I can see, to do with enlightenment or magnificent human experience or achievement. I am not a risk taker though, so I don't know, it's just a thought.
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I had a hole in the heart until i was 15 and used to black out from oxygen depravation quite a bit. It's not at all pleasant taking over a minute to slowly lose consciousness while every cell in your body is screaming for air.

I have no doubt that oxygen deprevation does not do your brain any good whatsoever.

It is quite strange that people would want to do this for fun, or pleasure.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wow Toots. That must have sucked. I presume you got it fixed.

I read somewhere about erotic asphyxiation before. I think it was a Clive Barker story or it might have come from a series of books of "erotic" horror short stories. I wish I still had those. I can't remember what they were called but they gave me nightmares.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

emmline wrote: ::hands eyes back to Sam::
Please put these in. You'll look much better.
See better, too ;)
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Cranberry wrote:
TelegramSam wrote:
Cranberry wrote:
You don't like the solar system?
pssst, it's the <i>galaxy</i>, not the solar system.
I don't even really know the difference. :sniffle:
a solar system is much smaller, consists of a sun and all the planets and stuff spinning around it.

a galaxy is comprised of many many stars, and solar systems, for example the milky way. our solar system is part of the galaxy called the milky way.

galaxy

solar system
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr. Rogers didn't die of natural causes? Have I missed something?
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Flyingcursor wrote:Wow Toots. That must have sucked. I presume you got it fixed.
It eventually decided to close up on its own. It was a very freaky childhood though.
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

Hey Cran! Ever run across the "Astronomy Picture of the Day" in your internet wanderings?

Link to current daily picture:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Link to their archive of every picture they've done:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/archivepix.html

If you're just starting out, the explainations might be a bit confusing (I'm still confused sometimes) but the pictures are amazing. Some are just artists renditions, but most are actual images done through a variety of methods.

My favorite is this infrared image of our Milky Way Galaxy... as seen from a sattelite in our Earth's orbit; from our little perch near the edge of our galaxy looking in.... Just one little speck of a planet in a little solar system amoung many other stars with seemingly endless possible other solar systems (planets) around them. Kinda humbling to think about.

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap000130.html

Another one I just love is this:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap970209.html

A look into deep space from the Hubble Space Telescope. All those swirly soft star like things are actually other galaxies... and that view is just a very tiny section of the Universe that we actually have the technology to see. A small segement of our night sky magnified.

When I think of our galaxy, then see a picture like that with so many more galaxies and then consider all the galaxies that must be out there that we just haven't been able to take a look at yet.... It's such an overwhelmingly incredible beautiful thing that it brings tears to my eyes every time to ponder it.

I love this sort of stuff, even if I don't understand it all the time. Hope you enjoy the pictures!

(*Wonders how we got from eye clawing websites to the wonders of the universe... looks back... * ah yes, peeplj's avatar....)

Yet another hijacked thread... brought to you by the good folks of The Chiff and Fipple Poststructural Pub. :wink:

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-