Keyless Hammy For Sale - SOLD

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Not to worry, I was just kidding: Much as I'd like to get my hands on a Hamilton or Murray flute, I don't bother subjecting myself to the inevitable that would go along with offering a recorder in trade :lol:

Loren
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Dang. Does this mean I get busted down on Loren's WCR (World-Class Recorder) Wait List?

:lol:

Actually, I shouldn't joke about recorders. I can't play one to save my life.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Jon C?

Post by Jon C. »

cathal morley wrote:OK, I'll plead ignorance. Who is Jon C.? Is there some reason you don't reveal his full name on the list? A new maker on the scene, I presume?
Share the wealth, fellas, please!
I have been asking this question for years...
I will confess that My full name is Jonathan David Cornia. There it is...
I planned to use my mother's maiden name of Cochran, as these genes are the inspiration of my Celtic music! Cornia is a anglicized version of Cornoyer pronounced Corn-y-ahe, my great grandfather French Canandian, ahe!, couldn't spell his own name, so they just spelt it phoneticlly. (So any misspelling is from that side of the family!) If I start making french flutes I will be using my father's genes.
AndrewK wrote:A Modern Master emerging ?
More like sub-merging!

What are they selling on this thread? I forgot...
I played Kevin Krell's Hammy 6 key, I liked it a lot. (how is this for getting back on thread...)
Jon "Cochran" Cornia
maire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maire »

Just sold a Hammy myself, but this one was 5 keyed and in a bit of a state. Believe it or not it had been stole, not once but twice!! Stomper of a flute but subtle with it, and as close to being perfect in the top range as you can currently get. Blackwood, silver keyed and sold for 500 pounds sterling. Bit cheap I know, but the work needing done would be a pain in the arse to do. Got a Goodlad and willis circa 1832 fully keyed [caucous and with an adjustable cork on ivory mount ], and also 2 Sam Murrays, one 5 key the other keyless.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

maire wrote:<snip> .... and also 2 Sam Murrays, one 5 key ....
:tantrum:

OK, seriously. Congratulations, maire. A 5-key Murray's the one thing I MIGHT consider throwing my beloved keyless Murray over for. Those Hammys are indeed stompers, tho' arent' they? It's nice to hear someone else say the high register's sweet; I think it is on mine, esp. for the snarly beastie it can be.

Curious to hear about the Goodlad & Wills if you ever have the time.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
fiddlecrazy

Post by fiddlecrazy »

I spent a few hours on Saturday playing the flutes Jon C. is making, and you probably won't need another for quite a while.
Yeah, I'm REALLY looking forward to getting my flute from Jon, but I love to think ahead too.

BTW -- Kevin, I got the WFO CD yesterday, it's great!

Max
maire

Post by maire »

For us women players its a great wee flute. The holes are small, as is the embrouchre, very sweet, but could be doing with a fine tune at the minute where the corks concerned. Ah well I`ve sort of got used to blowing flatter on the upper scales. Very heavy as the wood is denser than the blackwood Sam uses. He asked me some years ago if he could copy it. Think he did but I`m not sure for definate. Anyway, was described by lord Sam as a London Quays flute, made in the early half of the 19th century and fully keyed with some nice unusual features, especially the silver work, and the strange shape of the short f natural, also has a screw top lineated cap that holds the cork in an ivory plug. Loud if you want it to be and beautiful when quiet. Love it to pieces.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The rest of youz guyz can fuhgetaboutit. I know some pipe band goombas that'll break Graham's thumbs if he doesn't cut me a good deal. 8)
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I so love my Hammy (although I will admit, I've been cheating on it a bit lately! :P )

Mary
hmm...are we taking a fancy to 'pierce bronson'?
c'mon, kiss and tell mary...
BMFW

Post by BMFW »

AaronMalcomb wrote:The rest of youz guyz can fuhgetaboutit. I know some pipe band goombas that'll break Graham's thumbs if he doesn't cut me a good deal. 8)
Hey, just remember I was once a pipe band goomba myself (and I'm the real thing - I've seen every episode of The Sopranos) - and it was often suggested that breaking my thumbs might improve my playing!

Anyway Aaron, you're a piper, big lungs, you like Conal O'Grada, this could be your flute, my friend - you could pick it up when you're over at The Worlds.

Graham
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Is Paul McGratten a Hammy guy, too? Aaron, it could be a match made in heaven.

Maire, thanks for the update! That sounds like the coolest flute! In my experience cocus seems denser than blackwood, too... tho' my cocus Hammy is pretty light in weight, the feel when you blow into it is just ... tighter? Less "spongey" or something.

Ooh, I hope that cork's not too hard to get out when you get 'round to it. However, if you can get it out now, have you tried beeswax with a few drops of linseed as a gap filler? I've had that work as a temporary fix.

Tho' it sounds like you've no trouble working around its idiosyncracies! :-)

Again, thanks. And oh yeah, back to our sponsor ... somebody buy Graham's flute, already!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

BMFW wrote:Hey, just remember I was once a pipe band goomba myself (and I'm the real thing - I've seen every episode of The Sopranos) - and it was often suggested that breaking my thumbs might improve my playing!
:lol: I've had days like that.

Believe me, Graham, the Hamilton is temping... very tempting. Seriously though, if you get a great offer, take it. If I can come up with a good offer, you'll hear from me.

Yes, Cat. Paul McGrattan plays a Hamilton as well. I believe the keywork was done custom to accomodate his pipers' grip.

But I may have been converted by the sound of Catherine McEvoy's R&R. Her tone is like bubbling lava... but that's largely due to Herself I'm sure.

Cheers,
Aaron
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

rama wrote:
Whistlin'Dixie wrote:I so love my Hammy (although I will admit, I've been cheating on it a bit lately! :P )

Mary
hmm...are we taking a fancy to 'pierce bronson'?
c'mon, kiss and tell mary...
Nope, not Pierce,,,,,,

I am having more than a momentary fling with another Irish maker's flute right now...
Rather more like Bono.... :oops:

Mary
and another bump for you, Graham!
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

C'mon Mary Fess up already. Enquiring minds want to know. :D

We promise we won't tell your Hammy. Sheesh! :roll:

Doc
eilam

Post by eilam »

yes Mary, your not playing fair ! were all in this together, we NEED to know :party: