I have no voice.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I have no voice.

Post by Jack »

When I open my mouth to speak, nothing comes out.

I've laryngytys. I can't spell that. It's the first time I've ever had it.

Not being able to speak is so weird for me, because I talk all the time.

It sucks.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

having laryngitis does suck big time. I get it at least once a year. My kids LOVE it when I do have it, but it's exhausting! I swear, when I go a whole day trying to talk when I can't I'm just ready to collapse by 8pm.
Hope you feel better soon, cran!
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think you are supposed to rest your voice and not stress it if it doesn't want to come out. So don't try to talk.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I just got over the first significant bout of larygitis I've ever had. Felt it coming on and new I was going to teach a seminar that consisted of me talking for about 17 hours in the course of one evening and two full days. A few days before, I went to my internist and described the problem and she gave me an injection of steroids and a oral pack of steroids. The problems got worse, even though I spent 48 hours in almost total silence in preparation for the seminar. The first half, I squeeked my way through, thinking I had to be doing damage to my vocal chords. Then I got better. I think it took awhile for the steroids to kick in.
Jack

Post by Jack »

DaleWisely wrote:I just got over the first significant bout of larygitis I've ever had. Felt it coming on and new I was going to teach a seminar that consisted of me talking for about 17 hours in the course of one evening and two full days. A few days before, I went to my internist and described the problem and she gave me an injection of steroids and a oral pack of steroids. The problems got worse, even though I spent 48 hours in almost total silence in preparation for the seminar. The first half, I squeeked my way through, thinking I had to be doing damage to my vocal chords. Then I got better. I think it took awhile for the steroids to kick in.
I got it from you! :o
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I get it all the time. Other than asthma medication (which helps), I've also found that taking 12 hour sudafed helps too. The swelling is the same kind as nasal congestion, which is why sudafed helps, at least until it wears off.

Robin
Charlene
antispam: No

Post by Charlene »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I get it all the time. Other than asthma medication (which helps), I've also found that taking 12 hour sudafed helps too. The swelling is the same kind as nasal congestion, which is why sudafed helps, at least until it wears off.

Robin
But Cran, since you take prescription meds, check with your doctor before taking any OTC stuff. Especially Sudafed. That always knocks me for a loop - first it makes me sleep for an hour or so, then I'm wired and bouncing off the walls until it wears off. I don't take it anymore.

The last time I had laryngitis was about 20 years ago. I was a directory assistance operator and went to work with a bad cold. By the end of the day I was squeaking and the next day I couldn't talk at all. Not good for an operator.
Charlene
Jack

Post by Jack »

Charlene wrote:
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I get it all the time. Other than asthma medication (which helps), I've also found that taking 12 hour sudafed helps too. The swelling is the same kind as nasal congestion, which is why sudafed helps, at least until it wears off.

Robin
But Cran, since you take prescription meds, check with your doctor before taking any OTC stuff. Especially Sudafed. That always knocks me for a loop - first it makes me sleep for an hour or so, then I'm wired and bouncing off the walls until it wears off. I don't take it anymore.

The last time I had laryngitis was about 20 years ago. I was a directory assistance operator and went to work with a bad cold. By the end of the day I was squeaking and the next day I couldn't talk at all. Not good for an operator.
Thanks, Charlene. I know to ask before I take anything. And I'm not allowed to take any Sudafed. I'm not even allowed to take Tylenol without making sure it won't kill me first (the other medicines I'm on react weird with it or something).
aderyn_du
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Laryngitis is no fun-- feel better soon, Cran!
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Did you hear about the pony with laryngitis?

He was a little horse.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I had tonsilitis this past year and could hardly talk. I wound up writing notes.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack

Post by Jack »

Walden wrote:I had tonsilitis this past year and could hardly talk. I wound up writing notes.
I did that, too.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cran, just a suggestion that sometimes works for me. If you have to talk, try taking just a small swig of fruit juice. I don't know why, but sometimes this gives me maybe five minutes of voice back. With a largish bottle of juice I've even made it through a lecture. Better not to of course, but you might want to give it a try.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Wombat wrote:Cran, just a suggestion that sometimes works for me. If you have to talk, try taking just a small swig of fruit juice. I don't know why, but sometimes this gives me maybe five minutes of voice back. With a largish bottle of juice I've even made it through a lecture. Better not to of course, but you might want to give it a try.
Singers will tell you that eating a banana right before singing helps one's voice.