Ciunas

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fiddlecrazy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Ciunas

Post by fiddlecrazy »

Hi Folks,
Here's a great new band, Ciunas www.ciunas.net. They have a terrific flute player, Nic Buckmelter, who I will hopefully be taking lessons from soon. They have a really great sound, check out these mp3 samples.

Fox on the Town
Morning Thrush

Aren't they good!? I really want to get their CD, that looks great.

Max
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks for pointing out the link, Max. I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here, however.

Of the samples I would say Stormy Day is the best except for that Metloef bodhran that sounds like a roto-tom. No offence to the maker (who haunts this forum sometimes) but I prefer a rumbling thud over that boinging tone.

On the other samples the melody instruments are not nearly in tune. And the singer has that "American singing Celtic music" kind of voice which sounds too "Judy Collins" to believe that it's Irish music. She seems to be a quite good fiddler even if she bows a bit flat on those other samples.

That being said I do like the clean and simple production and they are probably a better band than I could ever play in even if they do sound like they played for Disney.

Cheers,
Aaron
JamieHamilton

Post by JamieHamilton »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Thanks for pointing out the link, Max. I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here, however.

Of the samples I would say Stormy Day is the best except for that Metloef bodhran that sounds like a roto-tom. No offence to the maker (who haunts this forum sometimes) but I prefer a rumbling thud over that boinging tone.
Respecting in every way your right to say what you like about styles, I'll just make a point of fact - Joey Abarta actually plays a bodhran by Steve Forman (fantastic studio precussionist from LA), not a Metloef. Both Joey and Rob Forkner - said maker who "haunts the forum" - are good friends of mine; both of them are consummate "top-end" style players in their own rights, but I suppose you can take that or leave that particular style as you will. And actually, we tried to get Joey into a Metloef the last time I was in LA, but it didn't take!

That being said I do like the clean and simple production and they are probably a better band than I could ever play in even if they do sound like they played for Disney.
... And was Universal Studios Japan! :)

All the best,
James.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Whoah, you came out of the woodwork. When was the last time you posted?

You're right, James. It's just a matter of taste, whomever the maker is. Joey sounds like a great bodhran player. But my ears prefer the likes of Colm Murphy.

Cheers,
Aaron
RobBBQ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

Its always more the operator than the instrument anyways. I've got a friend in Quebec who plays a 14" and somehow pulls more bass out of it than I can pull out of a 16". Joey is a good player, though, all taste issues aside. Sounds like a pretty good record.

I dunno if Hamilton is much of a bodhran player, though.

Cheers...!
Rob
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Nic has a really nice Olwell...and they play fairly regularly at a pub in Fullerton, although the venue is fairly sub-par in my opinion. One of these days I'll get down there to see them...
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

RobBBQ wrote:Its always more the operator than the instrument anyways.
We do regularly argue the same point about flutes, don't we? So how do they get that boingy, roto-tom tone? I saw one player on a similar drum use a very skinny, pencil-like tipper. How much does that have to do with it?

Cheers,
Aaron
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

You have a great point Aaron, its the same argument with flutes, pipes, etc. That being the operator is far more behind the tone than the instrument more often than not. Add any micing, EQ-ing, mixing, etc. to this equation and you can almost make a drum of any given type sound however you want! As for the bodhran, or my drums is particular, the really small diameter drums are made specifically for playing in the upper register. However, I tape the edges and weight the center like a tabla drum (see www.metloef.com for a more in-depth justification) which essentially takes away lots of the pingy overtones, gives you a punchier sound and actually a deeper low end. As the sticks go, my drums (as well as other thin-skinned drums like O'Kane's) seem to respont better to a lighter touch than to a heavy touch. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it has something to do with the amount of enegry required to get the skin to resonate optimally being less for a thin-skinned drum. What's even better are split-end or BBQ skewer sticks for this kind of thing. They can really open up the mids and lows. Ask Hamilton, he's seen a lot of this develop first hand. Just don't ask him what the prototype drums were like...yikes!

That all being said, the point is that I know people with little 14" diameter drums that can get lots of bass out of them, and I know people with 22" drums that sound like garbage can lids. Generally, though, if deep is what you're after, a thicker (BUT SUPPLE!) skin and a large diameter will get you the most bass. I know I make drums like that also, as does Steve. So its not so much even that Metloef drums sound like ____ or Steve's drums sound like ____, its more, "that drum played by that person EQ'd in that way sounds like a roto-tom".

And I happen to like roto-toms!

Hey, isn't this a flute forum? I'll be in lots of trouble for sure writing this much about the old goat....

Cheers!
Rob
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

*clears throat* Bodhrans? Yes this is a flute forum :oops: .

I do like tabla so maybe your drums would go well with Indian Classical music, like with a bansuri flute... See, this is all on-topic. Now worries, Rob.

Cheers,
Aaron
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

michael_coleman wrote:Nic has a really nice Olwell...and they play fairly regularly at a pub in Fullerton, although the venue is fairly sub-par in my opinion. One of these days I'll get down there to see them...
Why not just come down to Santa Monica to see them instead?

Oh and hi Jamie. We got us another Lehart player now.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Ciunas

Post by kkrell »

fiddlecrazy wrote:Hi Folks,
Here's a great new band, Ciunas www.ciunas.net. They have a terrific flute player, Nic Buckmelter, who I will hopefully be taking lessons from soon. They have a really great sound, check out these mp3 samples.

Fox on the Town
Morning Thrush

Aren't they good!? I really want to get their CD, that looks great.

Max
We're planning on a track from Nic for WFO3.

Kevin Krell
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

kkrell wrote:
michael_coleman wrote:Nic has a really nice Olwell...and they play fairly regularly at a pub in Fullerton, although the venue is fairly sub-par in my opinion. One of these days I'll get down there to see them...

Kevin Krell
They play at Finns exclusively as well? I know Nic leads the session there once in a while, but I thought they were part of the open session. I was talking more about hearing just them. Plus, Fullerton is a bit closer to where I am. I keep telling myself each weekend that I need to get down to Finns because its been too long, but the drive keeps me.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

michael_coleman wrote:
kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell
They play at Finns exclusively as well? I know Nic leads the session there once in a while, but I thought they were part of the open session. I was talking more about hearing just them. Plus, Fullerton is a bit closer to where I am. I keep telling myself each weekend that I need to get down to Finns because its been too long, but the drive keeps me.
Yes, you're right, SM is twice as far from you. Nic and the others are often there, but not guaranteed, particularly as they are doing gigs right now.

Kevin Krell
JamieHamilton

Post by JamieHamilton »

kkrell wrote:

Kevin Krell
Oh, hey, Kevin - I wasn't being an ass and ignoring you, I just got back from spring break in Austin, TX. Spent a little time "cutting it up" with a certain familiar bodhran maker and some of his disreputable Texan pals. On that note, a nickel's worth a free advice to any concerned: never take cross-country flights with a hangover - es no bueno. Thanks ever so much, Rob.

Do Nic et al still drop round to the Dubliner session on Sundays once in a while? I gotta say, I was always partial to that one over the Finn's session. Of course, that might just be the Orange County boy in me talking - there are only a very few sessions in the world worth sitting out evening traffic on the 405 to get to...

And as for my Lehart, I admit it, I'm a disciple. It's hard not to love a flute that still fires off like a cannon even when's being held together by electrical tape and dental floss.

James.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

JamieHamilton wrote: Do Nic et al still drop round to the Dubliner session on Sundays once in a while? I gotta say, I was always partial to that one over the Finn's session. Of course, that might just be the Orange County boy in me talking - there are only a very few sessions in the world worth sitting out evening traffic on the 405 to get to...

And as for my Lehart, I admit it, I'm a disciple. It's hard not to love a flute that still fires off like a cannon even when's being held together by electrical tape and dental floss.

James.
The group has some gigs, particularly here around St. Patrick's Day, so Kira seems to be the hardiest at getting to Finn McCool's. Sundays are still happening in Long Beach, but again, I'm not sure of the attendance of Nic, Kira, Joey & Jimmy re: their current schedule and any travel dates. BTW, they've all moved down to a house in Orange County anyway.

As to the Lehart - you sure blast with that one.

Kevin Krell