Worst Songs of All Time

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Comicsrus works fast! My comments on “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” submitted this morning are already posted! :D

Cheers,
David
ChrisA
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ChrisA »

missy wrote:
Now, you had to go and do that, didn't you Chris??!! :o

Sidebar - I graduated from high school in 1976. Just at the beginning / peak of Disco. I hated it then. I hate it now.
"I like that old time rock and roll!!"

Missy
Yes, yes I did. Just for you. ;)

Oddly enough, I was listening to a show about disco on NPR the other day. It turns out that
disco started in '70-'71, and that old-school disco lovers feel pretty much the same way
about the stuff that came out in '76-'80 as, well, most everybody else. Very strange.

Of course, I think proper dance music comes in several flavors, none of them 'disco'. Reels come to mind, and jigs, and hornpipes... ;)

Oh, and comicsrus, I did see the disclaimer on the page that it was vote based, but it was more fun to make fun of the list! Sorry! ;)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Right, here goes....

"Lady in Red" should be in the top three worst songs of all time list along with "Wonderful Tonight " and my other all time headache "Stairway to Heaven"...now that thats off my chest....There are one or two quibbbles I have with this list.

"I will Love you " is a song I am very fond of 'though Dolly Partons version is the one I would prefer.Written for her old friend and Mentor -Porter Waggoner- it marks the break up of their professional partnership at the time that her career was really taking off. Whitneys version is a bit over the top for my liking and there are many songs that show off the sheer power of her voice better than this.

Tenille had a really great voice but it was wasted on "Do it to me one more time" mores the pity.

Gilbert O'Sullivan wrote some really good songs and "Alone again,naturally" was not a bad little ditty at all.

Apart from that ..yeah..there is some dreadful stuff on the list.."Ebony and Ivory"..Eughh...

Thats enough..I gotta go listen to something good now before I really get started..

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Comicsrus

Post by Comicsrus »

How in the world did you ever find this thread?

You guys sent like 50 visits my way today, just thought I'd visit and say HI!

While you're here, you might as well learn to play tin whistle.
Do you have "trucker songs"?

Not Yet, but it could be fun! Please send a starter list!

I get squimish about using the phrase "...of all time..."

I use the general "common knowledge rule", anything that happened before the dawn of mass communication (1920s) is pretty fuzzy at best.

Regardless of other criteria it means, "this history of the universe".

Well, KNOWN Universe!

So the top 41 Random Death songs is great but it's not "...of all time...". More like "Top 41 Popular random death songs of the mid to late 20th century."

We do take suggestions/votes all the time. You never can tell. "The Wreck of the Old 97" or "Night of the Johnstown Flood" could make some kind of PR comeback, and they could crack the list!

You ought to check out some of the murder/death songs of 19th century appalacia.

We will. I'm working on the 17th & 18th and 19th Centuries this spring. Can't wait to get to some 14th century durges this summer! I have to try to be lighthearted though, since I'm trying to stay "PG".
(Many schools are linked to PopCultureMadness)
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Poor Muskrat Suzie and Muskrat Sam...their tale always ends up on someone's Worst Song list.
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
missy

Post by missy »

STOP!!!

I said I wasn't gonna look at the list so I didn't have the songs going through my head, and you all keep NAMING them and they are doing so anyway.....

"..Looks like muskrat LOOO OOO OOO OOO OOOVE"
(of course we changed that to "river rats" for the opposing high school in the area!) :D

How about "Don't Worry Be Happy"?????

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

aderyn_du wrote:Poor Muskrat Suzie and Muskrat Sam...their tale always ends up on someone's Worst Song list.
And well it should. :wink:

I wish I hadn't gone on to read Dave Barry's list, which reminded me of the truly horrifying Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love In My Tummy); why that piece of dreck is not on the main list, but Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is, mystifies me.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

scottielvr wrote:
I wish I hadn't gone on to read Dave Barry's list, which reminded me of the truly horrifying Yummy Yummy Yummy (I Got Love In My Tummy); why that piece of dreck is not on the main list, but Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is, mystifies me.
That's democracy for you.

Why don't we make a concerted effort to get something like 'Yesterday' or 'Satisfaction' on the list? You know; just decide in advance what it's to be, block vote, lobby our friends family and neighbours. Or we could puzzle everybody by voting for the Kesh Jig.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I am completely baffled that "Here's to all the girls I've loved before" by Willie Nelson & Julio Iglesias isn't at the top of the list. Flumoxed. Flabbergasted. Gobsmacked. Dumbstruck (well, not quite). In other words: I just don't get it.

That song is a clear winner: Worst melody, worst arrangment, worst lyric, worst singing, and there is a live version of it. And not only is it bad, it is really offensive: esthetically and morally. I mean, there are two aging guys sitting around talking about the babes they've banged. And they get money for that. And screaming female fans, with tears in their eyes, wishing they'd been one of all the girls they've loved before. Shudder. Blech. Yuk. Iphlghh. I've gotta go wash my hands. wrrrrgs.
Willie Nelson: To all the girls I've loved before - featuring Julio Iglesias

To all the girls I've loved before
Who travelled in and out my door
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls I once caressed
And may I say I've held the best
For helping me to grow
I owe a lot I know

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the girls who shared my life
Who now are someone else's wives
I'm glad they came along
I dedicate this song

To all the girls who cared for me
Who filled my nights with ecstasy
They live within my heart
I'll always be a part
Of all the girls I've loved before

The winds of change are always blowing
And every time I try to stay
The winds of change continue blowing
And they just carry me away

To all the girls we've loved before
Who travelled in and out our doors
We're glad they came along
We dedicate this song

Who travelled in and out our doors
We're glad they came along
We dedicate this song
The winds of change are always blowing?!? And people complain about 2525 (did you ever see the tv clip of that? Wow.)
/Bloomfield
rh

Post by rh »

i've long thought "Say you say me" was one of the lamest songs i've ever heard... i suspect Lionel Richie wrote it in all of five minutes...
Say you, say me; say it for always
That’s the way it should be
Say you, say me; say it together
Naturally

I had a dream I had an awesome dream
People in the park playing games in the dark
And what they played was a masquerade
And from behind of walls of doubt a voice was crying out

Say you, say me... (chorus)
i've also got to give a shout out to "Sylvia's Mother"... though maybe Shel Silverstein's lyric wasn't so much the problem as that terribly overwrought vocal by Dr Hook...
and the aaaaaahperator says fohty... cents... moh...... foh the next......... three............ minutes.............
then of course, we won't even go into "Daddy Please Don't".... :really:
there is no end to the walking
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

No Macarena. I know its a dance but the song was really monotonous.

Although I guess it might be disqualified because its somehow slightly, stupidly cute, the "Da Da Da" song.

There's another sucky McCartney song. SOmething about "Brother John". I once was hypmatized by that song whilst shopping in a home improvement store. I couldn't figure out if they had put in subliminal messages to "buy not steal" or whether it was just the song. I suspect the latter. Waitaminit, was 'We're so sorry, Uncle Albert" on that list?

How about the whole "soulful" duet thing? It was started by that song that goes: "Sometimes when we touch, I want to hold you so much" or similar.

Oh yeah, and that Eddie Money song. It had an augmented chord and it ripped off the words to Que Sera, Sera. It started with "Baby Hold On to me, the future is ours to see (sound familiar?) That SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED!

One of those ABBA songs too, mebbe Dancing Queen?

Holly Holy by Neil Diamond. Have You Never Been Mellow AND Torn Between Two Lovers by Olivia NewtonJohn.

Really depressing how easy it is to remember BAD music. I keep thinkin of more. Fourth edit.

ComicsRus rocks, btw.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

aderyn_du wrote:Poor Muskrat Suzie and Muskrat Sam...their tale always ends up on someone's Worst Song list.
I heard a Bob and Tom once where one of them kept interjecting the little muskrat purr from the above song. I think it was while Hayward Banks was singing "99 Dead Baboons" and "Fry up an Eagle". What a hoot.

Since http://www.popculturemadness.com is a viewer participation site, we should all go over there and put in our ideas of what should and shouldn't be there. Check out the "misunderstood lyrics" page. It could use some more stuff. After all, we are an opinionated bunch.

I think since Comicsrus was kind enough to come over here and explain the site to us, someone ought to send him/her a whistle. I would but I only have a Burke and Copeland left.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

http://www.basichip.com/

Scroll 1/2-way down. Click on the album "Music to Suffer by". Not the worst music, just the worst interpretations.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
missy

Post by missy »

Fly wrote:
"......I heard a Bob and Tom......."

Now WHY am I not surprised you are a Bob and Tom fan???? :D
SHANIQUA!

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com