Spring may not be on the way just yet

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

scottielvr wrote:Y'all in New England and the midwest will laugh till it hurts about this one. The NWS just upgraded our winter storm warning to a "heavy snow warning" ...because they are now predicting -- get ready to guffaw -- a mighty 1 to 3 inches overnight, and another 1 to 3 inches tomorrow. That's not even very serious by modest Southern standards. Don't know what they're smoking down there in Greenville....

There, now you had a good laugh, don't you feel better?
:wink:
We're all gettin' soft. Used to be spates of -20F and of course lower were to be expected in my neck of the woods; to be stoically endured, but nothing to freak out about. Not in the past few years, though, not like I remember, anyway. A little while back the weather announcer was calling -7F "bitterly cold". :roll:
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

dwinterfield wrote:I know it's not right to gloat, but I think, being south of Boston, I'm going to be on the rain side of the rain/snow line. Of course if a butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil or a flute player over blows in Australia, we'll get another 2 feet of snow.
The butterfly flapped it's wings and we got another foot of dense heavy wet snow. As luck would have it, while riding the train this morning (through the snow) the music player randomly selected the short monologue from Johnny Cunningham at the start of the Winter Solstice cd.
Nice touch

Are there other winter to spring songs out there. The only one that comes to mind just now is the Rose.
TomB

Post by TomB »

dwinterfield wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:I know it's not right to gloat, but I think, being south of Boston, I'm going to be on the rain side of the rain/snow line. Of course if a butterfly flaps its wings in Brazil or a flute player over blows in Australia, we'll get another 2 feet of snow.
The butterfly flapped it's wings and we got another foot of dense heavy wet snow. As luck would have it, while riding the train this morning (through the snow) the music player randomly selected the short monologue from Johnny Cunningham at the start of the Winter Solstice cd.
Nice touch

Are there other winter to spring songs out there. The only one that comes to mind just now is the Rose.
I guess you spoke to soon- you know what they say- "it's not nice to fool with Mother Nature."

I feel for you. We got a bit lucky here, only about 4-6 inches, most places.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Loren wrote:Cripes man, I hope not: I had to shovel again today ( my employer owns 3 buildings in a row plus a parking lot), and I'm about over it :roll:

Loren
You don't have heated driveways???? :o

The ultimate winter labour-saving device. Just plug and switch on, and electric heating elements buried in the tarmac just melt that snow and ice away.

http://underdriveheating.com
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:
Loren wrote:Cripes man, I hope not: I had to shovel again today ( my employer owns 3 buildings in a row plus a parking lot), and I'm about over it :roll:

Loren

The ultimate winter labour-saving device. Just plug and switch on, and electric heating elements buried in the tarmac just melt that snow and ice away.

Link does not work. I guess if you are building a new home or completey re-doing your driveway that would be a great thing.

In the town I grew up there was one home with this sort of thing. We were all very impressed. The home was in the "posh" section of town- I didn't live there, just drove through now and then.

All the Best, Tom
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

TomB wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:

Loren

Link does not work. I guess if you are building a new home or completey re-doing your driveway that would be a great thing.

In the town I grew up there was one home with this sort of thing. We were all very impressed. The home was in the "posh" section of town- I didn't live there, just drove through now and then.

All the Best, Tom
Gotcha!! I made it up. :D

I don't see why it wouldn't work though, and it wouldn't suprise me to learn it has been done before.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:
TomB wrote:
Martin Milner wrote: You don't have heated driveways???? :o

All the Best, Tom

I don't see why it wouldn't work though, and it wouldn't suprise me to learn it has been done before.
There definitely are such things, I swear- Here is a link that is real. :P

http://www.warmzone.com/SnowMelting/blueheat.aspThat would be sweet. No more shoveling.

All the Best, Tom
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

EXCELLENT! :D
TomB

Post by TomB »

Martin Milner wrote:EXCELLENT! :D

Martin- if they don't already market such a thing in the UK, maybe you could be the first! Think of the money rolling in!

Tom
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

The big "Gateway Travel Plaza" in Breezwood, PA has sidewalks made this way! :) No Shoveling for them!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I've actually heard of this...heated water pipes running under the driveway...but with heating oil running at $2 a gallon, that's definitely out of the question!!!

Robin
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

TomB wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
TomB wrote: Link does not work. I guess if you are building a new home or completey re-doing your driveway that would be a great thing.

All the Best, Tom

There definitely are such things, I swear- Here is a link that is real. :P

http://www.warmzone.com/SnowMelting/blueheat.aspThat would be sweet. No more shoveling.

All the Best, Tom
Martin may have made it up for driveways, but it's real for trains. As train arrived at South Station in Boston this morning, I noted that the ties and tracks around each switch were snow free. There are dozens of switches. It was also clear that no one had walked through the snow between the switches. So I'm wondering. Would be simple electric heaters some how attached to the 12 feet of merging track in each switch?