B and Bb Low Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

B and Bb Low Whistles

Post by PJ »

I play uilleann pipes mostly but I have been known to pick up my Chieftain low from time to time. Among pipers, there seems to be nothing as cool as a flat chanter (i.e. in a key below concert D - usually C#, C, B or Bb). I've seen C low whistles (Lunasa for instance) but not B or Bb. Do they exist? If so, who plays them? How do they sound?
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

colin goldie plays those big whistles, the only whistle that gives him trouble playing is the low low G or bass G, his arms are too short :lol:

and he makes them anyway you like aswell http://www.overton.de/texte/pricelist.html
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Alba has a Low Bb.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I own a Bernard Overton Bass A whistle. Now here is the thing. If you are having difficulty getting your fingers to make a low D spread, just play one of these HUGE bad boys and you will NEVER complain about a low D again!!!!!! :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

low a

Post by cavefish »

overtons low A is great plays great haunting sounds
Hornpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Hornpiper »

I spoke with Mike Burke about the possibility of making a low B natural, and he said he'd be willing to custom-make one for $300. There would be a bit of a wait as well. I'm sure it would be worth it though - his high B natural is a terrific instrument!
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

{Whistlesmiths take note:}

The larger "Baritone and Bass" keyless whistles can be made more comfortable for the player by incorporating much deeper playing holes. The Bassoon, Kortolt and Baroque Clarinets, as well as other low woodwinds, use this technique to draw the fingerhole spacing closer together.

Of course, there will be acoustic "short-commings" with deep toneholes, but adding a "pinched thumbhole" (Recorder) will allow for correcting flatness in the second register. I suggest adding a thickening "strip" over the tonehole area to increase depth(?)

NEVER say <b>CAN'T!</b>
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
dapple

Post by dapple »

Hornpiper - I'm curious: would you have Mike make the low B natural in aluminum or composite?
~ David