Send my husband to Sligo!

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.

Should my husband go to Sligo?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 am

Yes, a week of tunes and pints sounds fantastic.
86%
No, a week on the couch sounds much more attractive.
14%

Total votes: 28

avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I spent three months in Ireland a couple of summers ago. Fresh out of college, never been overseas before, knew only one person in the country and that was a distant relative who I'd never met.

That trip was one of the greatest decisions of my life and led to a lot of new experiences, but **** was I scared before I went.

The one thing I regretted was that, aside from Willie Clancy Summer School (where I met up with some online-friends from Chiff) and the last few weeks of my July language classes (when I made friends with my roommate Jenny), it was a rather lonesome summer. It was great to be able to do whatever I wanted whenever I liked, but as I am not a "social butterfly" and therefore not too good at striking up new friendships, I often found myself on solitary walks when I would rather have been hanging out with someone.

On the other hand, I know a constant companion would have driven me absolutely bonkers.
jen. wrote:We've talked about whether I should go or not ... if he goes alone, he can stay out at all the sessions as late as he wants and bury himself in whatever archives he likes for as long as he likes and immerse himself in the music without having to worry about me -- who tends to like to go to sleep earlier than 5 a.m. (though the time difference is in our favor there smile ) and who, during a trip to Ireland, would rather spend time traveling around than stay in one small town the whole time, which is one of his dreams. It would cost nearly twice as much for me to go, too, and if I don't go we might be able to both go someplace higher on my list later this summer.
All good reasons. But I'd like to contest reasons 1 and 2 (reason 3, going someplace else later, I can't contest).

If you're in a town and he wants to stay out till 4 or something, you could go back to your B&B or hostel and have a nice leisurely night. Read a new book, watch some Irish tv shows, go to sleep, and when you wake in the morning he'll be there. Then, if you are an early riser, you can go for a walk while he reaquaints himself with the waking world.

There are benefits to staying in a single town and there are benefits to being someplace new every day. I did both. I would suggest not doing someplace new every day for two weeks, as I did at one point, because that is somewhat hard to take cognitively. :D But what if he stayed in Sligo, and you hired a car or took Bus Eireann (very easy to do, get a timetable guidebook for about €6 from any large bus station), chose little towns to visit, and met up with him a couple times during the week to see how he was doing? You'd each see different parts of Ireland and experience different things, and it would make for lively conversations afterward.

I vote that both of you go - it's actually a lot cheaper than you might think if you are careful with the money (my summer came to about $5,000 including airfare and various classes) and it will be a cherished memory of a shared experience - but failing that, he should definitely go.

Tell him that if he goes and hates it, he has perpetual griping rights, but if he passes up the opportunity he isn't allowed to complain about it later on. :lol:

My relative, by the way, introduced me to half a dozen more I hadn't known about, encouraged me to play in a music group for a private party they happened to be having (I have pictures!), took me all over Dublin, and had an enjoyable time arguing with her aunt about which family member I most resembled.
Last edited by avanutria on Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

ErikT wrote:My dear wife is allowing me the same thing this summer. It will be my first vacation by myself - ever (we've dated now for nearly 20 years). So I'm apprehensive from that standpoint.
Now now Erik, we know the apprehension is really because you're going to be stuck for a week in a small town with me, Peter, Martin, and a half million pipers... :D

By the way, Jen - do you and your husband have your passports? If not, you'll want to get started on that, as it can take a couple of months to get them. I sent off for mine in (late?) September and received it around Thanksgiving, if I recall correctly.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/trav ... ssport.htm
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

No, Beth! Never you. Now Peter, Martin and the pipers. Them I'm afraid of ;)

In all seriousness, I'm really getting excited and it's still months away. My friends are getting a little tired of hearing about it!

Erik
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

You'll love it. Remind me, I'll send you some pics from when I went. I think I scanned them - must have - but I think they are on my external hard drive (currently disconnected).

It's a shame Azalin and Jack aren't coming this year. Those guys are insane, but in a fun way.
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Hubby Should Go! -If he never does it again he'll have this to remember, and the chances are about 100% the trip will reveal ideas or aspirations to him he never knew he had. He'll be enriched whichever
way it turns out. Thats a long-winded way to say he owes it to himself.

- These experiences cannot be duplicated any other way but to go! My best travel memory involves the changing of the guard at a governor's palace, a green coconut, a gas refrigerator, a Mexican sergeant and a heavy camper rig colluding to bring tears of hilarity from all near, with disciplined military men rendered helpless with laughter at stupid gringo tricks. This is why Hubby must make the trip! The value of making a fool of one's self in a foreign land cannot be overstated. :D
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Of course he should go, and if you follow Beth's suggestion of doing different things while you're there,and you can afford it, you should got too!

May I suggest he takes some kind of audio recording device, as well as a digital camera if possible? Your husband will also want to record some live sessions (always ask permission first) . A minidisc is ideal, just stick it on the table and forget about it (but don't spill pints on it). An iRiver is perhaps less well suited for a long trip, as it would be difficult to edit stuff unless he has a laptop with him. a simple tape recorder is better than nothing.

I did a trip to Ireland in 2002, staying with friends the first weekend, then off on my own in a hire car round the Cork & Kerry rings, via Kinsale, Kenmare, Killarney, Tralee, Adare, and Dingle. When travelling alone, I recorded an audio diary for my freinds in the USA, which two years later they finally got to hear! I didn't at the time have a digital camera, if I had I'd have taken ten times as many photographs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

"Get a passport" is on my list of things to do for the day.
Last edited by colomon on Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
moxy

Post by moxy »

dubhlinn wrote: As somebody once said " A dyin' man only regrets the things he hasn't done.."

He should go :)
Jen.

Post by Jen. »

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably point out (as my husband has to me :) ) that we have an awful lot of vacation planned over the course of the next several weeks, some of it changeable and some of it not. He's leaning toward going at the moment; I'm still not sure what to do.

Thank you everbody for helping us think this through! The idea that he needed to get a passport hadn't yet crossed my mind. Now all we have to do is finish making the decision ... and maybe choose the paint colors.

--Jen.

(And just for the record -- he's not a couch potato, lest I had implied that with the wording of the polls. In truth, I am the more couchglued of the two of us.)
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

US passports are good for about 10 years I think (though you need to get a new one if your name changes), and the prices go up over time (I missed a big price hike by about a month when I got mine) so even if one or both of you decide not to go, you might as well get the passports now anyway. They don't list your house address, so no worries about moving or anything before using them.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Sligo and the Northwest is wonderful! Beautiful, not full of touristic mobs, good music...
My wife and I spent most of our honeymoon outside of Ballymote at Templehouse, and I think you should both go. www.templehouse.ie
(Profuse thanks to Thygress for the tip!)
If you go off-season, airfares can be quite reasonable. A friend just flew from Chicago to Shannon for $125!

Post by Guest »

Tintin wrote:Sligo and the Northwest is wonderful! Beautiful, not full of touristic mobs, good music...
My wife and I spent most of our honeymoon outside of Ballymote at Templehouse, and I think you should both go. www.templehouse.ie
(Profuse thanks to Thygress for the tip!)
If you go off-season, airfares can be quite reasonable. A friend just flew from Chicago to Shannon for $125!
You might want to check out the local Hotels/Hostels as well;

Some of these 'country' Estates date back to the 'plantation' and the locals, esp in the Republic, are not exactly happy with their continued holding of land stolen by the British Army from earlier generations of native Irish people.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

toasty wrote:

Some of these 'country' Estates date back to the 'plantation' and the locals, esp in the Republic, are not exactly happy with their continued holding of land stolen by the British Army from earlier generations of native Irish people.
Happily that has no bearing on this estate....when the Percevals returned to Templehouse during the Great Famine (after losing the estate, then making their name in the China trade), they paid passage to have people come back from abroad, and welcoming bonfires were lit far and wide. Aside from the history associated with the property and the luxury of the accomodations, Deb and Sandy are fantastic hosts, Deb is a phenomenal chef, and Sandy (if you have the great good fortune to spend and evening with him) is a great music lover and can point you to all sorts of sessions.

If you're looking for just a place to stay, anywhere will do. If you're looking for something more it would be a pity to discard such an opportunity out of hand because of misplaced concerns.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
HansW

Post by HansW »

Hi
Let me know when you and your hausband are over-- I'll try to come down for a night or so for few tunes, Furey's or Foley's, we'll see.
Never mind the whistle the boys have whistles and flutes too.

Post by Guest »

Tyghress wrote:
toasty wrote:

Happily that has no bearing on this estate....when the Percevals returned to Templehouse during the Great Famine (after losing the estate, then making their name in the China trade), they paid passage to have people come back from abroad, and welcoming bonfires were lit far and wide. Aside from the history associated with the property and the luxury of the accomodations, Deb and Sandy are fantastic hosts, Deb is a phenomenal chef, and Sandy (if you have the great good fortune to spend and evening with him) is a great music lover and can point you to all sorts of sessions.
Sorry Tigress your story does not change the history of such estates in Ireland. No matter what these folks did later the land they hold was taken by force by the British army from the native people.

There are a lot of other estates still in the country like it, but that does not
erase history.

I think these English people should all of them get out of Ireland giving back the land to the Irish people and return as emigrants.