The New Humphrey "Stealth" Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Wanderer wrote:All I can say is, just be glad you're not a violinist.
Let me count the ways...

Besides, the price of a violin has no importance whatsoever for this discussion. I'm glad there are whistles out there that cost a lot of money, and i'm glad that there are excellent players to play them. Right now, i have all the whistles i need, but still have to learn a lot about playing them.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
glauber

Post by glauber »

vomitbunny wrote:I'm switching to flute. All they are is a hollow stick with holes in them. Bound to be cheaper than whistle. I may break a limb off and whittle me one this afternoon. I'll find a hollow stick. Seven holes. Couldn't be much to it. Paper towel tube will probably be fine.
No, but you can get one made of PVC pipe that costs about $50 and sounds better than some flutes that cost ten times more. Of course it doesn't count as a "work of art", just a good instrument to make music.
--Wellsprings--
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Wanderer wrote: I imagine lots of people could make whistles that I'd consider worth $5.00. I imagive very few people could make whistles I'd pay $700.00 for. That's what makes them worth $700.00 to those people willing to pay the price.
I personally don't mind a factory made whistle for a fiver that does the job. I don't feel ripped off by either Gary or John Sindt, the whistles I got from them I am very happy with but overall, as I said I don't get enough extra mileage out of a twentyfold price increase. So I won't get me whistles like that any time soon. Most whislteplayers I know feel about the same way. $700 for any whistle is just plain madnesss but you're welcome to them if they turn you on.
vomitbunny
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

glauber wrote:
vomitbunny wrote:I'm switching to flute. All they are is a hollow stick with holes in them. Bound to be cheaper than whistle. I may break a limb off and whittle me one this afternoon. I'll find a hollow stick. Seven holes. Couldn't be much to it. Paper towel tube will probably be fine.
No, but you can get one made of PVC pipe that costs about $50 and sounds better than some flutes that cost ten times more. Of course it doesn't count as a "work of art", just a good instrument to make music.
I have one of those, and I'm very happy with it. But it's not like I can live with just having one. I'm guessing I'll have to aquire at least three if I expect to be able to look at myself in the morning without downing a pint of rotgut.
But I'm quite sure three will be enough. Yep.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I have the narrow bore Humphrey Hi D and I love it, love it, love it. Very sweet (I don't mean pure in tone) and sensitive and versatile. I still reach for my Generations and Feadogs, though I'll play the Humphrey's in sessions.

Peter was refering to me I think, when he mention someone who owned the narrow bore and tried the wide bore. The wide bore has a sound that is more open and a bit harder to control. The sound tends to fray a bit, if that makes sense and it has a litte too much volume for my taste. Still a good whistle but has nothing over the Sindt. The narrow-bore imho is better than the Sindt.
/Bloomfield
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

The price one is willing to pay is really a matter of preference and also of frame of reference...my frame of reference has been harps which typically start at $800 for a lap harp then go on upwards.

Buying higher-end whistles for my spouse has been fun because they are so much more affordable than harps!
glauber

Post by glauber »

I read that Jerry Seinfeld collected Porshes. Apparently he had over a hundred of them.
--Wellsprings--
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Bloomfield wrote:I have the narrow bore Humphrey Hi D and I love it, love it, love it. Very sweet (I don't mean pure in tone) and sensitive and versatile. I still reach for my Generations and Feadogs, though I'll play the Humphrey's in sessions.
I especially love the high notes, very sweet and balanced. It's perfectly consistent throughout the range. You'd be hard pressed to find any whistle to equal that.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Peter Laban wrote:
I personally don't mind a factory made whistle for a fiver that does the job. I don't feel ripped off by either Gary or John Sindt, the whistles I got from them I am very happy with but overall, as I said I don't get enough extra mileage out of a twentyfold price increase. So I won't get me whistles like that any time soon. Most whislteplayers I know feel about the same way. $700 for any whistle is just plain madnesss but you're welcome to them if they turn you on.
Well, I've never actually owned a $700 whistle..that's a little high for my own tastes as well these days. $300 is a perfectly acceptable price point for me, though. I know I won't convince you that $300 is perfectly acceptable...and that's not my aim. Nor was I trying to prove you "wrong" somehow. I was just acknowledging your opinion and providing a contrasting opinion (and the reasoning behind it) on the subject of price.

I imagine that everyone has their own internal limit, based upon a number of factors such as location, peer acceptance, budget, percieved value, etc.

For instance, most whistlers you know tend toward the $5.00 whistle. On the other hand, most whistlers I have known (in two cities) have tended higher. I played a Sweetone for a long time in Houston at session, and it was the cheapest instrument there (price! price! I know you don't consider them good instruments quality-wise either). Besides my Sweetone, there was sometimes the odd Susato, but all of the "whistlers of note" played, at the cheapest, water weasels. Thin Weasels, Abells, Copelands and other much-higher-end whistles were more evident. Perhaps if all of the great whistlers I'd met all played Generations, I might be more inclined toward them. It's hard to say how that kind of cultural thing affects you in your formative years. ;)

Part of it, for me anyway, is budget. In 1999 and 2000, I know I raised the stakes on secondhand whistles on Ebay. I know, because someone on C&F actually complained about someone with "deep pockets" making it hard to get good whistle deals on Ebay anymore, and at the time I knew I was winning a most of the Ebay whistle auctions I found. That was when I was making "dotcom money", and I didn't think twice about throwing $1000 on instruments in a month, simply because I was fascinated with all of the different varieties. Since I was buying different brands more as a collector, I wouldn't have had any problems paying $700 for an instrument then. In fact, I was on Copeland's waiting list for a sterling low D (around $700) at the time of the dot-com crash.

Nowadays, I'm not making a crazy internet salary. Which certainly makes me glad I don't play pipes or violins :) So, my budget for percieved value is a lot less. And these days, that's about $300 max for an instrument. I'm willing to pay about that to get a whistle that's "just right" for what I want. Of course, if I got exactly what I wanted out of a Generation, I'd be happy with paying less! :) They're just not what I'm looking for. Sindts are nice, raising the value to me, but I can't get over the way sharp cross-fingered C-Natural (having tried one out). That lowers the value to me considerably. I'd probably own one otherwise...but for me, Sindts are overpriced for what I want out of an instrument. If I saw one on sale secondhand for about $40.00, I'd probably buy it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is there's really nothing wrong with sticking less-expensive instruments, and I can understand the reasoning for it. But I certainly also understand those people who like the high-enders, and personally lean more that way myself.

And to bring this all back on topic, I wish I had more personal examples of Gary's instruments to check out...they definitely sound interesting, though a bit scarce in the circles of musicians I know.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

To Peter and Bloomfield

We're in agreement that the Humphrey Narrow Bore D is a sweet litte gem of a whistle. My comparisons here are probably a bit narrowed by the fact that , although I have the older version in B/Bb/A , I never played the older versions of either the Wide Bore D or the Narrow Bore D.
It may have a lot more to do with the change to the D shaped opening tapering to the C , but the Wide Bore seems to have a very rich , sweet , mellow tone. The term that we used to use back when I was heavier into alto sax was "roundness". I can see were the volume might be a bit much , but I was very pleased with the tone of both the D & C tubes.

To Wanderer

That $ 300 dollar mark sounds about right for me also. Even then , I would have to seriously judge my personal gain from the expense. If it were a matter of having to spend the money to have a certain sound , then I could justify the cost. The one example that immediately pops into my head is the "Cosmic Drainpipe" sound of an Overton. If that's the sound you want ... you pay the asking price. For most things , however , it boils down more to the experience and ability of the performer. If I can have an audience tapping their feet to a Jerry Tweaked Shaw , do I really need a whistle that cost 10 times the price ? I know this is a bit off topic , but I used to teach fly tying and fly fishing. I could catch a trout with any flyrod that you handed me. From a purely esthetic point of view , however, I got a great deal more satisfaction when I was using a rod that I had laboriously built from scratch !! Guess , Greg , it really boils down to our perception of enjoyment. If I compare the number of hours that I gain enjoyment from my various whistles , to their respective prices , they're all well worth the expense. IMO

Have a Great Day and Happy Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
dapple

Post by dapple »

If the Great Whistle God had distributed whistles reasonably, Peter Laban and other fine, experienced players would have a collection of high-end whistles and I would have an untweaked Generation and maybe a Clare. But that’s not the way it is. I am a beginning whistler who has purchased a small collection of high-end whistles. I very much like the Overton “cosmic drainpipe” sound and because of that, as Wanderer said, I bought a few Overtons. My whistle instructor plays Burkes; I tried his whistles, found that I like the sound of Burkes too and that they tend to forgive my inexperience, and purchased a few. I also have two Albas, a Busman Delrin and some Hoovers because of the good things I have read about those whistles on C&F. And some day soon, I may purchase a Humphrey for the just intonation I have read so much about here.

I purchased those whistles because I have the money and desire to do so. I am under no illusion that I am a better whistle player for having those high-end instrument but, I believe, having them makes my whistle playing experience more enjoyable.

I am a little bit uncomfortable mentioning that I own high-end whistles because I think that there are some long-time, much-talented whistle players on C&F who would like to play but perhaps cannot afford to purchase a high-end whistle . . . and because I am an unworthy neophyte.
~ David
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I am going to try to curb my WhOA. The number one reason being I am retired. I don't have the money for a lot of expensive whistles. But I am glad that I bought the Humphrey set. My second most expensive whistle is an Alba Q1 Hi D. I also love it but for different reasons. I have several very decent Gens that play very well as well as an assortment of Feadog, Feadan, Clare Waltons etc. Therefore I can't see why I should continue to buy whistles. As I said in another thread, "You may be able to buy a whistle that is as good as a Humphrey, but I don't think you can buy one that is better." It sounds the way a whistle should sound and it plays so easily in both octaves. The upper octave is bright and beautiful. The Eb is superb, maybe even nicer than the D.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

dapple wrote:If the Great Whistle God had distributed whistles reasonably, Peter Laban and other fine, experienced players would have a collection of high-end whistles and I would have an untweaked Generation and maybe a Clare.
I think the mistake you are making here is that high-end whistles aren't necessarily better whistles. There are preferences and styles, sure. It's not like Mary Bergin plays Generations because she can't afford Burkes. She plays them because the Generations are better whistles than Burkes. Mary also has Sindts and a Copeland A that was given to her by Bob Pegritz (the very first A Michael Copeland ever made, Bob tells me).
I am a little bit uncomfortable mentioning that I own high-end whistles because I think that there are some long-time, much-talented whistle players on C&F who would like to play but perhaps cannot afford to purchase a high-end whistle . . . and because I am an unworthy neophyte.
I don't think you have to worry that Peter couldn't afford a Burke if he thought it worth it. Peter probably wouldn't want your high-enders if you gave them to him (I'll *cough* take the Overtons, though ;) ). How good a whistle is depends a lot on what you want the whistle for. There are many people who want whistle to have them and look at them and delight in their beauty and play them now and then. Then there people who always carry a cheapo sticking out of their pocket or bag, and try to play day and night. And every shade in between.

So enjoy your whistles, it's cool that there are so many kinds.
/Bloomfield
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hi Dapple ! Welcome to the wonderfully crazy world of whistling ! One of the true blessings in playing the whistle is the fact that , compared to other musical instruments , they are really inexpensive ! That allows for a lot of experimentation , without a major outlay of cash. For example , the cheapest sax I own would buy a big chunk of my entire whistle collection !

Like anything else , there are various degrees of participation or dedication. If any of the more experienced players felt that they would benefit from owning a particular makers whistle , I'm sure they could find the means to buy one ! For a beginner , my point about the whistle not doing anything to hinder your progress is a very valid one. A well-balanced whistle , that plays evenly across both octaves and that doesn't have any quirks , is much easier for most of us to play. I've found that much more common in the mid to high end whistles. Better consistancy or quality control , I guess.

Not that Peter needs a champion , but the point is that , because of his ability and experience , he can take almost any commercially produced whistle and make that baby sing. For beginners ( or a duffer , like myself ) the more forgiving the whistle is the better ! :lol:

Have a Great Day and Fun Whistling !!
Coming to you live from "The Black Hole of Whistledom"
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It is a choice. I was happy to buy bot hthe SIndt equal tempered and the Humphrey jsut intoned. The yare my finest whisltes and i play them when goign out. In fact my Sindt is out on loan, recording today what could be the finest whistle Cd of the year, if it gets finished this time.

But getting good mileage out of cheap whistles the price is definitely a threshold that keeps me from buying more, I am not not buying whsitles as a work of art, they are things you stick in your pocket when you go out and play tunes. I don't need many.

For some reason I don't mind throwing 1800 into the coffers of Nikon corporation for a top of the range lens for my camera that will better suit the conditions i'll be using it in while I can also buy a same focal length one for 250. But that's the way it is I suppose.