D minor?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

D minor?

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Could some of you more experienced plyers than I inform me what key of whistle should I play with guitar D minor?

Thanks in advance
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

A whistle in the key of C should work but you may need to play

oxx ooo (C-natural fingering, Bb in this case on a C whistle), or whatever fingering your whistle likes for that note.

-Brett
frchristo

Post by frchristo »

I'm not sure what you mean by "guitar D minor", but for a tune or song in D minor you can use C or F whistles.

A Natural D minor scale is like an F major scale but beginning on the sixth degree (D) instead of F.
Henke

Post by Henke »

You can play a C whistle in D minor just as you would play E minor on a D whistle. You can play D minor on a D whistle as well, but you'll need to half hole the F# to bring it down to F natural (third note up).
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Got it. I'll play a Chieftain Low F, since I don't have C at this time. So we all know what my next purchase will be....LOL :lol:
Keith

talasiga

Re: D minor?

Post by talasiga »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Could some of you more experienced plyers than I inform me what key of whistle should I play with guitar D minor?

Thanks in advance
You haven't been reading any of my painstaking posts about the modes, have you?

I have said it so much that its making me vomit - on any simple system finger hole flute or whistle you can get Aeolian mode (the natural minor)
from the one finger tonic or the 5 finger tonic (in which case you will need to cross finger the pipe's 7th for your diminsihed 6th).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Henke wrote:You can play a C whistle in D minor just as you would play E minor on a D whistle. You can play D minor on a D whistle as well, but you'll need to half hole the F# to bring it down to F natural (third note up).
Of course on a D whistle you will need to diminish the 7th (the C#) by cross fingering to get the C (the necessary diminished 7th). And what about the the Bb Henke? Do you cross finger that or half hole it, Henke?

Thats a lot of friggin about to get a D min on a D whistle - half hole the F# for the F, half hole the B for the Bb and cross finger the C# for the C.

I dare ya. :devil:
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Buy the guitarist a capo. :D
Henke

Post by Henke »

I'm usually a halfholer. Works nice with a bit of practice. At least it shouldn't be a big problem in slow tunes.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Henke wrote:I'm usually a halfholer. Works nice with a bit of practice. At least it shouldn't be a big problem in slow tunes.
If you're talking about yourself, what is the case: "shouldn't" or "isn't" ?
Henke

Post by Henke »

In that "shouldn't" I was talking about KDMARTINKY. In my case I guess it would be "usually not" in the slow stuff anyway. But I acctually do tend to switch bodies to play the stuff, it's easier that way, I just meant that it can be done with a bit of practice.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

talasiga wrote:
KDMARTINKY wrote:Could some of you more experienced plyers than I inform me what key of whistle should I play with guitar D minor?

Thanks in advance
You haven't been reading any of my painstaking posts about the modes, have you?

Umm, well, I think we're reading them, sure, but understanding them is something else again.

Eventually, we'll have absorbed a critical mass of clues and everything will suddenly become clear. Meanwhile, what key of whistle does he need? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J . . . pick one.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Thanks for everyones responses. I went and played at church tonight and took you advice. The tunes sound very good for an amateur.

So once again thanks. :)
Keith

talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Peggy wrote: .....
Umm, well, I think we're reading them, sure, but understanding them is something else again.

Eventually, we'll have absorbed a critical mass of clues and everything will suddenly become clear. Meanwhile, what key of whistle does he need? A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J . . . pick one.
Have we met before ? :-?

1. On any simple system flute or whistle you will get an unqualified natural minor progression (Aeolian mode) if you start at this note here

XOO OOO

So if you want D minor you pick the pipe that has a D here (F pipe).
If you want a C minor you pick the pipe that has a C here (Eb pipe)
If you want etc etc etc .... yawn zzzzzzz.

2. Alternately you can take the Dorian mode tonic here
XXX XXO and modify the Dorian progression by cross fingering the sixth like so OXX OOO to get an alternate Aeolian progression.
( D Aeolian from XXX XXO you would want a C pipe.)

3. If you are clever and very skillful like Henke who enjoys half holing, theoretically you could even play D minor on an E flute! :lol: This isn't as funny as it seems because classical (and not always folk) bansuri players prefer their tonic at XXX OOO regardless of the mode. For D minor they would use the A fife or the A bass flute and half hole 4 notes for it. But lets not go down there just now.

I don't quite understand why this is difficult for you to grasp.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I utilized a Chieftain Brass Low F in concert with D minor. I had to move to the second octave on the whistle to really get the tune correct "Tree of Life". It's a tune we are playing for the lental season. Once I moved to the second octave things began to click well.
Keith