How many cats live with you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

How many cats live with you?

none
29%
1 or two
47%
between three and five
20%
more than five
2%
thirty-seven
2%

Total votes: 51

oscartherabbit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oscartherabbit »

GaryKelly wrote:And they won't fetch sticks or balls for another.
Here's a handy tip; if you want to have a stick or a ball in your hand, don't throw it away in the first place.

Personally, I think that cats have got this about right. If you threw the thing away, you fetch it back.

2 cats, btw. Joe and Cookie. Cookie's full name is "Cooking Fat". It's a spoonerism.
You don't stop playing when you get old. You get old when you stop playing.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Flyingcursor wrote:
will o'b wrote:BOY, THIS TICKS ME OFF BIG TIME. I've been doing my cat roundup routine since 1974.
Sounds like someone's leaking info from within the organization. Better get counter measures right away.

That commercial is great. I'll have to direct my daughters to it. EDS gives me the shivers.
Yeah. I think that leak is known as "MY BIG MOUTH."

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I knew a girl who had a cat. It was neurotic. It was afraid of the grass. While outdoors, it would only walk on the sidewalk. If you put it on the grass, it would freak into a panic attack.

BTW, my favorite cat is Sylvester. "Sufferin' succotash!!!"

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Flyingcursor wrote:EDS gives me the shivers.
My mom works for EDS. :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

GaryKelly wrote:. And they won't fetch sticks or balls for another.

I've had several which fetched and two which knew, almost to the minute, the time I left a distant location to come home.

It was always the time I got into the cab to go to the airport or got into the car to start driving home. It was never the time I began packing the night before. It seemed to be the time I came to be mentally aware that I had departed--the time of no return, so to speak.

One of them had to spend an unfortunate three months with friends. When I returned, they reported that she had spent one entire day in "alarm mode," howling inconsolably and at intervals frantically trying to get their attention. It turned out to have been a day I nearly died.
moxy

Post by moxy »

We had four until last May or so, when Cali had to be put down for cancer. The remaining three are Pepper (my roommate's), and my own two, Murray and Ace. Murray and Ace have been together for almost 11 years, but Pepper into the mix doesn't go very well at all...

Murray hates the sound of any whistle... Ace loves fake mice. They're so cute.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

izzarina wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:EDS gives me the shivers.
My mom works for EDS. :P
I don't know how they are now but in the Perot days it was like a sweatshop.
I interviewed with them in 1990 but had a very bad interview experience. Suffice to say a pencil to the interviewer's eyeball would have been justified.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I almost forgot -- our daughter has become a cat. We have a movie called "My neighbor Totoro". Evidently the Japanese believe that cats can take on characteristics of whatever interests them. So there's a character in this movie that's a catbus (a cat that saw a bus and liked it, see avatar). So I came home a few weeks ago, and there's Alyssa crawling around saying MEOW and insisting on being called Catbus.

It's a wonderful movie, BTW, very different from your run-of-the-mill American animated feature or even your run-of-the-mill Japanese animated flick.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

Two cats here. Bob, who's been with us for 13 years and beginning to loose a step and her new understudy Sniff who came to us at Christmas and is now about 4 1/2 months old.

Neither Bob or Sniff have any purebred lineage, both being adopted from the local Humane Socienty. They are both multi-colored shorthairs.

Whenever I play the whistle, Bob gives me THE LOOK and leaves the room while the new kid Sniff gets as close as she can to see whats going on. Bob (yes, she is a female) is clearly the queen of the house and merely tolerates Sniff who is at the "hell on wheels" stage of kittenhood and is a holy terror that attacks anything and everthing of interest including Bob.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
TomB

Post by TomB »

No cats- we like them, and would have them, but both the wife and I are allergic to some cats- not all, but we would not want to take one home and then find out we are allergic, only to have to give it back. That would big time suck.

I guess there are styles of kitties out there that are not supposed to cause allergic reactions, but I haven't seen any of those that I like.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Jack

Post by Jack »

Cat allergies come in two types, I think...hair and spit.

You can be allergic to one or both or neither...and sometimes it's good to know which you're allergic to...

I'm allergic to cats (hair), too, but I live with them anyway. Watery eyes don't bother me.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Cranberry wrote:I'm allergic to cats (hair), too, but I live with them anyway. Watery eyes don't bother me.
I would love to have a cat. I'm not allergic, but I have two sons that have major asthma attacks when they are around cats. :(
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Cranberry wrote: I'm allergic to cats (hair), too, but I live with them anyway. Watery eyes don't bother me.

Watery eyes are ok, swollen shut eyes, are not. In my case, it's really odd, because I had a "scratch" test at a dermatologist last year for a different matter, and I did not test positive for being allergic to cats- go figure.

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

GaryKelly wrote:They'll steal a baby's breath, for one thing.
They steal those little sprigs used in flower arrangements? What's so bad about that?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

chas wrote:We have a movie called "My neighbor Totoro".
We love that movie! Have you watched the other animated movies directed by Hayao Miyazaki (of Studio Ghibli)? They're all good.

"Kiki's Delivery Service"
"Princess Mononoke"
"Spirited Away"
"Castle in the Sky"

There's also a new release in the US (of an older movie): "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind". Haven't seen it yet.

Cheers,
John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."