O'Riordan Huge Irish Whistle Set on EBay

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
alespa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Wombat wrote:Seriously, I don't think $2k is even getting close.
You got that right. Weren't these originally offered on the boards for $6 grand? If so, and if I were selling them, I would be thinking most of the diehard whistlers and collectors are on the board(s), and if I couldn't get my asking price here, I could only hope, beyond hope, that someone outside of the boards would offer that kind of money on eBay . . . with that said, my guess is the reserve is $5k. Any takers?
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Here's an idea . . . why don't we get a group of people interested in the lot, and go in together and split the spoils? Where's the whistler formerly known as NorCalMusician (when you need him)??????

Of course, you have to count me out . . . I just won my last whistle for awhile on ebay . . . the Silkstone C. That about eats my remaining whistle funds. Besides, if you consider my ability, I can't justify owning a whistle that expensive . . . :lol:
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

alespa wrote:
Wombat wrote:Seriously, I don't think $2k is even getting close.
You got that right. Weren't these originally offered on the boards for $6 grand? If so, and if I were selling them, I would be thinking most of the diehard whistlers and collectors are on the board(s), and if I couldn't get my asking price here, I could only hope, beyond hope, that someone outside of the boards would offer that kind of money on eBay . . . with that said, my guess is the reserve is $5k. Any takers?
Since I'm out of the bidding too, I'm trying to remember what O'Riordans have been fetching lately. My guess is that if you take $6,000 and divide by nine you get somewhere near the going price for singles that have gone for top dollar. Now sets usually fetch less than two seperate whistles, but the seller might think that since prices have been going up quickly, they still are. Unless there's something special about the set, that would be how you'd arrive at a figure of $6k I'm guessing.

Now, since the option of breaking them up is always available, I would not expect them to sell as a batch for a lot less than they would fetch seperately unless Jessie wants to avoid the hastle of dealing with a host of different people. Let's face it, if they were available for, say, $3-4k, someone could buy the batch and onsell most of them getting a couple of O'Riordans free. I would guess this reasoning would have occurred to both Jessie and to serious bidders so I don't think I'm blowing it for anyone mentioning it here.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Wombat wrote:unless Jessie wants to avoid the hastle of dealing with a host of different people
and with the fraud that seems to be unavoidable on high-profile eBay sales these days. I see one of the bidders is a brand-new eBay account. Probably just somebody keeping himself anonymous, but you never know.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Wombat wrote:My guess is that if you take $6,000 and divide by nine you get somewhere near the going price for singles that have gone for top dollar.
But there are three sets, and three stand alones. So call it really 6 individual items, not nine. A thou per item is a bit rich for my realistic bidding. The highest priced set (two tubes, one mouthpiece) to date has been about $700, right? Even if you accept $700 as market value for the singletons, that would still make a $5000 reserve a bit excessive.

But who knows? You can't play the game without bidding. If someone is really interested in finding out what the reserve is, . . .
Last edited by Tyghress on Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

glauber wrote:
Wombat wrote:unless Jessie wants to avoid the hastle of dealing with a host of different people
and with the fraud that seems to be unavoidable on high-profile eBay sales these days. I see one of the bidders is a brand-new eBay account. Probably just somebody keeping himself anonymous, but you never know.
Can you tell us abit more about this fraud please, Glauber? I should have thought that selling nine at once would be much more high profile than one or two at a time. Also, if something did go wrong, wouldn't you be spreading the risk around?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Tyghress wrote:
But there are three sets, and three stand alones. So call it really 6 individual items, not nine. A thou per item is a bit rich for my realistic bidding. The highest priced set (two tubes, one mouthpiece) to date has been about $700, right? Even if you accept $700 as market value for the singletons, that would still make a $5000 reserve a bit excessive.
I was basing my calculations on that figure too, Tyghress, although I might have missed that the $700 item was a two-tube set. If so you're clearly right. In any event, I was assuming that Jessie must be thinking that the value is going up. Since all the action, if there is any, will probably be in the last few hours, we'll know in a couple of days.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Wombat wrote:Can you tell us abit more about this fraud please, Glauber?
What i hear most of the time is tricks with certified checks, like checks that clear initially and the bounce after you've shipped the item. Then there are people who copy existing auctions and pretend to sell your items. And account hijacks, when someone cracks your password and starts selling stuff pretending they're you.

I think there are user discussion forums at eBay for these things, or maybe someone here with more experience could chime in.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

I can only speak for UK ebay and Paypal...

First thing is that Paypal rarely gives the seller any protection, and will allow funding sources from buyers without complete fraud checks being made. Paypal then reserves the right to withdraw the money from the seller at any future date.

Less than 5% of Paypal payments in UK are given seller protection.

Paypal also offer buyer protection, and they become judge jury and executioner as they see fit in deciding whether the seller will have to pay the money back to the buyer. If you've ever tried to communicate about a problem with Paypal, then you'll know it's not a good thing to be a seller in a dispute with them.

Also in UK, cheques payments can be reversed at any future date unless specially presented, which cost the receiver £10. You loose that if it bounces and some banks will then also charge you for the pleasure of bouncing it.

Sometimes people will accept a cheque for a high value item and then months later the cheque will be reported stolen and the money will be taken back from their account because they didn't special present it.

There's always some seller on the eBay boards crying about a chargeback of some description.

If you are selling items on eBay always ensure that the payment is absolutely guaranteed, or be prepared for a future chargeback.

If i was selling these whistles i would do them seperately as i would get more bidders and more interest.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I could see paying in a range of $2000 to $3500 for the set IF and only IF you were a professional musician and were going to use these on a regular basis, but to buy these for that amount as an amateur to play every once in a while or to keep them in a safe place just to say you have a set (the following is only my opinion) is just a misappropriation of funds, but stupid is probably a better word for it.

Now if every thing you own is paid for or you single and are loaded with $$$$$ then go for it, but if your like me there is no way in hell I'm paying that much as a hobbiest even if I had the cash on hand.

I am sorry folks I just think thats its crazy to pay that much for several sticks with holes.

Like I said above this is just my opinion......so bid away :lol:
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

TooTs wrote:I can only speak for UK ebay and Paypal...

First thing is that Paypal rarely gives the seller any protection, and will allow funding sources from buyers without complete fraud checks being made. Paypal then reserves the right to withdraw the money from the seller at any future date.

Less than 5% of Paypal payments in UK are given seller protection.
Thanks TooTs. I think Paypal has a serious problem then which it will have to fix. And if Paypal has a problem, presumably ebay does too.

I find it most convenient when buying to pay with a cash cheque. Gives the seller 100% security and I've never had a complaint. Of course it doesn't give me security but that's never been an issue with fellow chiffers.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My reserve is $4200.

The person who offered $6000 last year backed out of the deal. That was, indeed, a very high offer.

I am a firm believer in living within one's means. I know I do. If you have enough money to spend it on (even frivolous) things you love, go ahead and do so. I am not trying to sell these whistles to people who cannot afford them. If someone wants them and can afford them, go ahead and bid on them. If not, I will keep them.

People have commented that I would do better selling them individually. I have accounted for that in my reserve. People have also commented that I would do better selling them on the forum. I knew people would find the auction. Attempting to sell them on eBay is the same thing as selling them on the forum. I think an auction is the most fair way to do it. It gives everyone an equal opportunity. First come, first serve is not so fair, in my opinion. It frustrates far more people than any auction does.

I will watch the last hours of the auction with interest.
~JessieD
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I do understand what jesse is saying especially about placing items on Ebay rather than on C&F or GC.

My reasoning for placing items I have soild in the past on Ebay is simple. First, the bidding format is too me the fairest way to give those individuals who can afford an item the best shot, but it also opens it up for everyone to have an equal opportunity to purchase the item, secondly, the most enticing reason is the number of Ebay users which view the item.

Jesse it appears to be a beautiful set of instruments and I wish you the best on the auction.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
TooTs

Post by TooTs »

Wombat...

Paypal doesn't have a problem. It's the sellers who get the chargebacks and the chargeback fees that have the problem.

Paypal do make it clear that their payments are not guaranteed unless it specifically states seller protection offered on the payment transaction page. The choice of accepting an unguaranteed payment is with the receiver, and in so doing accepts that the payment can be reversed at any future date plus any chargeback fee.

Paypal is very much in the favour of the buyer, and buyers using it are what drives sellers to accept it.

If Paypal were to insist on full security checks on every funding source used it would cost them a lot of money. It would also impact on the amount of transactions, and therefore Paypal/eBay's profits.

I can't see them wanting to change that unless forced to by law.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

TooTs wrote:Wombat...

Paypal doesn't have a problem. It's the sellers who get the chargebacks and the chargeback fees that have the problem.

Paypal do make it clear that their payments are not guaranteed unless it specifically states seller protection offered on the payment transaction page. The choice of accepting an unguaranteed payment is with the receiver, and in so doing accepts that the payment can be reversed at any future date plus any chargeback fee.

Paypal is very much in the favour of the buyer, and buyers using it are what drives sellers to accept it.

If Paypal were to insist on full security checks on every funding source used it would cost them a lot of money. It would also impact on the amount of transactions, and therefore Paypal/eBay's profits.

I can't see them wanting to change that unless forced to by law.
I was looking a bit down the track actually. Of course, I might still be muddled. :)

I think if there is a loophole that buyer can systematically exploit, then perhaps more and more will do so. At some point, it would no longer be worth the risk to sellers. If so, then Paypal would have a problem. (A bit like loss of confidence in a currency leading to a run on the banks.)

Of course, it's very hard to invent a system that isn't cumbersome and which is fair to both parties.