Half Set is officially on order :)

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rgouette
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Half Set is officially on order :)

Post by rgouette »

Just placed my order with the esteemed B.C. Childress to upgrade my practice set I bought from him a few years ago:D

oooh the waiting......... :roll:
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Good choice. It's a killer to have to wait so long but you'll appreciate it when the drones arrive.

I recently played a BC 3/4 set which belongs to a friend. I nearly didn't give it back. Toooooooooo nice!!

I know I bitch a lot about the cost of pipes, but I must say that I think BC's pipes are undervalued - certainly when compared with some others I have seen.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

worth it indeed

Post by rgouette »

Yeah, I had to sacrifice a rather nice acoustic guitar to bring this about, but I know I'll be a better man because of it;-p
...& stuff...

:P
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Proper order. There's far too may acoustic guitars out there as it is.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Congrats! Enjoy your wait.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

I just sent Bruce two emails about this same issue. Adding drones to my D set. And I also plan to sell one of my guitars (the nice one) to help cover the cost. I have been making a mental list the last week or two of what I could sell.

I was asking Bruce if he could make the H style bass drone though.

I guess I have to get in line.
danny

Post by danny »

bruces pipes look great but havent heard them up close
Joseph E. Smith

danny wrote:bruces pipes look great but havent heard them up close
I have listened to a number of different BC sets. Dead solid drones, nicely toned regs, and the chanters sing. The full package is very well balanced.
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Childress....

Post by rgouette »

So glad to hear comments regarding Bruce's work.
I don't think I've heard a bad word about his sets in all my surfing.

I believe I made a good choice going with Bruce's pipes!
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I have never heard a discussion about any pipemaker while surfing. I am just hoping a shark doesn't nibble on my feet or, worse, that I might break my board. That is a very sad thing to see.

Sorry, for going off topic.
maze

childress

Post by maze »

I have two full sets by bruce, on in D from the late 90's and one in B from 3 years ago i think. Bruce has been tremendous in supportinig my errors as a tinkerer years ago... has been very adept at providing repairs and adjustments over the years, having retuned and balanced my D set last year\ (my fault over the years of travelling with it too much, pulling reeds in and out, stupid stuff like that), and fixed a leaking bass drone puck (design flaw... my design so my fault)... currently fixing a broken reg. key mount due to the key getting caught in my bellows hinge at the recent florida tionol... (nightmare)...

SO i have to say that overall, i am pleased with the service that bruce has been able to provide... no small part of the success of any product or its functioning i would argue.

http://web.dcp.ufl.edu/maze/pub/pipeima ... maze13.jpg

here is a link to an image of my B set with the H style drone. i think that he worries about the H or ladder style's stability, so on mine he put a few extra support struts... i guess they act equally in compression and tension so the solder joints don't snap off.

http://web.dcp.ufl.edu/maze/pub/pipeimages/Childress/

http://web.dcp.ufl.edu/maze/pub/pipeimages/

are a couple of other collections on my web archive... in much need of updating, but a lot of stuff is there.

i will report back with news on the fixed block if you want, but i think you will be happy with bruce's support and service. if ever i have had a problem, i just call and after he runs me through the verbal wringer for screwing something up (kidding here), he tells me it is fixable and much worse has indeed happened. the wrap around bass reg's that i have on both sets were done by bruce, in fact, he decided he did not like the design of the B set's, and fixed it with a much better design without charging me an arm and a leg.

his pipes are worth far more than he is charging... a fact that is clear in my mind after recently restoring an old lynch full set (beautiful set now available)... but it is not being kept and bruce's is/are.

now back to writing the fecking book.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Maze, those are some great pic's.

Thanks
rgouette

~Jesus of Nazareth

Thanks Maze

Post by rgouette »

Wow, very cool.
Excellent pictures.
I'm really new to the whole scene, but am happy that I have chosen bruce as my pipe maker guy.
I am also fortunate that he lives but a hour & a half south! +\-.

Rich
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Thanks Maze

rgouette wrote:Wow, very cool.
Excellent pictures.
I'm really new to the whole scene, but am happy that I have chosen bruce as my pipe maker guy.
I am also fortunate that he lives but a hour & a half south! +\-.

Rich
That, like, totally rocks dude. :D
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

PJ wrote:Proper order. There's far too may acoustic guitars out there as it is.
Dittos on that. 8) To heck with the acoustic-driven emo music.